My thoughts: WRX vs Super Snake

This is a discussion on My thoughts: WRX vs Super Snake within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. Over memorial day, while visiting my family in the thriving metropolis of Canastota, NY, I had the opportunity ...

My thoughts: WRX vs Super Snake

Hey everyone. Over memorial day, while visiting my family in the thriving metropolis of Canastota, NY, I had the opportunity to switch cars with my 70-ish year old (step-technically) father for a few miles. He was really interested in the WRX, being a total motorhead, but he's a ford/chevy kind of guy, so this was a very different experience for him. I'm always interested in new cars because... well... they are new! And who can say no to a trip in a mustang. This is actually the 2nd mustang I've driven, the first being a 1999 (?) SVT mustang cobra.

So, you can find info on my car here:
    Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!
    Basically, a full-bolt on TP stage 3 car with headers. Let's call it 300 hp, 330 tq.

I walked my dad through how to drive it, with the AWD, launch control, gauges, AP, and stuff like that. He's raced most of his life (motorcycles and snowmobiles mostly), so it's not all that concerning that he's going to be beating on my car too ridiculously. Plus if it breaks, he's paying to fix it. I really want a new clutch

So my ride for the afternoon:
    A bone stock SUPER SNAKE tuned by Nemer Ford. I believe this means it started life as a GT500 and Nemer Ford made it an authorized super snake? I am not very familiar with mustangs, being more of a tuner/hot hatchback type of guy, and didn't get a lot of details on the car, to be honest, because I was literally salivating to drive it, so I actually forgot the year: but I think it's a 2012. It could be a 2013, I honestly am not sure - and honestly I don't care. I know he hasn't done anything to it, and knowing my dad he never will. He's probably going to trade it in with 5,000 miles on it 2 years from now for the updated version.

I'll try to get more info from him on the details of the car. According to dad his most recent quote via email: "HP is a tad over 700, the torque I would have to look at home. There is no way in hell I will ever short shift to second or third gear on the street and hit it again. Did it three times that was enough. The car wants to swap ends real quick, don`t want to wreck it."

Anyway, pics taken on my crappy cell phone:

So, what was my thought on the Shelby?
    Well, we can start with the motor. Obviously it's faster than my WRX (once you get traction), given the relative nature of the supercharged V8 beast. The whine of the supercharger is outstanding (once you get traction), and totally different than the build-up of the turbo spool (once you get traction). The sound of the motor is also something that can make you very happy (once you get traction) - the exhaust note is nice and deep, but not obnoxiously so. The intake noise is similarly cool at lower RPMs, but I found it drowned out by the supercharger, which sort of stunk. The transmission was pretty slick, and I didn't miss any shifts, or stall it or anything like that, which is usually a good sign on a first drive a car is laid-out well. I like the shifter ball, too (totally random, I know).

The outside, to me, seemed a bit too sparse, but only by the slightest margins. With the body lines being as simple as it is, I think another accent could be received well. Perhaps it's the color, but I think a small bit of garnish on the sides would help, but as looks can be subjective I'll only say that its 'very nice looking' - and at this point you've probably all seen one in real life to judge for yourselves. I liked the hood 'scoop' (or is it a vent?) laid out like it was. The new, more masculine, body style really fits the nature of the supercharged monster living under the hood that loves to come out and play (once it gets traction). Overall, an interestingly retro-looking modernized classic car.

It handled surprisingly well, considering all the articles I've read on how badly mustangs handle. I think he said this has the 'track package' (I'm not sure if that's a real thing, or if I'm making that up, or if it comes stock with the car), with partial street slicks and some other stuff. If you were rolling, you could get the back end out and throttle-stear around corners pretty easily, but that tended to cut the drive out of the turn down on the roads, so I didn't really enjoy it like I'm sure it could be enjoyed. I really need to learn to listen to my dad.

The inside I actually liked quite a bit for a sports car. Controls where were they should be (at least to me), and most of the car layout made it easy to drive (once you got traction). Materials seemed nice, and nothing seemed to be 'overdone' or 'overworked', if that makes sense to you designers. The seats were more comfortable than my WRX, for sure. There was even room for 2 (small) people in the back.

Overall, I really liked the car. However, I'm not sure if you've seen a re-occuring theme to my experience with the Shelby, but I honestly believe the GT500 has (I don't believe I'm going to write this) too much power for the drivetrain. I guess it's the rear axel, or maybe the car needs even more sticky tires, but I constantly broke loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears with relatively small applications of power. At one point, my wife asked me "Are you doing that on purpose?" when I would go sideways. It's really a car that you need to constantly be aware of because it can jump out and bite you in the butt (particularly 1st - 2nd, and 2nd - 3rd). I almost spun it around a few times at gear changes - and I'm not a bad driver (I'm not spectacular either, but I've a few race driving schools under my belt). I'm almost wondering if a turbo design wouldn't be more intelligent for the car as you can build the power as the traction catches up. I apologize for not having my wife take video of the drive, I thought of this on the drive home.

So overall, the car was blast to drive, but I don't think that I'd be able to drive it fast on a race track at all. In all honesty, I actually like the way a turbo builds power more than the way a supercharger does (once you get traction). The supercharger whine is kind of intoxicating though.

What did my dad think about my car? Well, he's driven a few turbos before, but not in a long time (he had an old buick regal something-or-other when I was real young). When he first got on the WRX hard, he thought he broke something because the car didn't spool up for a few seconds (he was in 3rd at like 2000-2500 rpms when he hit it). I told him it spooled up fast, so my mom said had one of those "huh? where? Let me see... OHHHHHHHHH!" moments. He wouldn't admit it, but we all know the drill. Once he figured it out, he really started playing around with it in 2nd and 3rd gear, and seemed to be enjoying himself quite a bit. He really liked how the car could corner with the AWD once you figured on when to get on the throttle and let the turbo build power through the turn.

His biggest complaint was that he didn't feel like he was going that fast in my car. This made me a bit quizzical. Now, I understand coming from the Shelby to my car is a severe power drop, but I wouldn't call my car slow by any means. It's not a rocket ship, but it'll get the groceries in a hurry. I had him explain what he meant, and all I can figure is, with the AWD platform, he wasn't working hard to keep the car in a straight line like you have to with his Shelby (or his 69 camaro). This made the car feel more tame and slow than the Shelby. He never launched the WRX, so on the way home from dinner, my wife was driving the Shelby and I had the WRX and I gave it a pretty hard run from 0-60, and he grabbed the 'oh crap' handle and said "it never felt that fast when I was driving it". That made me happy.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 06-03-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dude, very nice review/write up. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to go for a ride in one of those gt500s. They're absolutely amazing machines.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Cool write up. I'm not sure I have enough will power for a GT500...I have a feeling that all that power would be too tempting. I would go through tires faster than windshield washer fluid. Anyway, thanks for the review.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome write up. My uncle and family friend both have 2012 gt500's. neither of them will let me drive it. lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I'm glad you guys liked it - I wasn't really sure how it'd go over on the forum. This is actually the first 'car' he has had that he's let me drive - and I'm 33 years old! He has a couple of older muscle cars that never see the sun, but those are more $ now than cars. Like I said, I'm not really a huge domestic car guy, so I wanted to do it justice but I didn't want to be like "HOLY CRAP IZZZ FAZTSSS!"

It was an interesting experience, for sure. Coming from small turboed cars (MS3 and WRX, being the newest) the supercharger was an eye-opening experience on a car. There isn't anything quite like the sound or the instant power - but when the power basically just turns rubber to smoke, is there a point (and of course you'll all say HELL YEAH!)? And speaking of tires, I'm pretty sure after my 60ish miles behind the wheel, he'll be buying a new set once he realizes how much 'fun' I had in it.

And to love on my Dad a bit, a bit of his background: in Rome/Utica NY, and Syracuse, they had/still have a very active dirt racing scene. He was a borderline professional flat-track dirt racer with motorcycles before he went into turn 3 off his bike and broke his neck and back at 18. So I think he likes the loose rear end feeling cars like the mustang more than the taunt chassic of the WRX/japanese cars. And my wife's (perhaps not incredibly work/kid friendly) reaction to the Super Snake on our drive back to Mass: "That car is just stupid. Your car still gets me wet."

I spit my coffee all over the steering wheel. Ruined a pefectly good polo shirt, too.

Of course, age and injury doesn't stop him from buying my 2009 supercharged B-king. This is it when it went in for the SC install (eye candy not included with purchase):

I wonder if he still has that in the basement...
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 06-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune

Christ the stock B-King about rips your arms outta the sockets..

Great write-up!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Enjoyed the read very much! No problem with this being present here in my book.

I'm watching all the hype now about the new C7 Corvette and thinking maybe a 2015 model could be my next car. It's not the power that is attractive, doesn't hurt either, it's the technology in the car that I find very interesting. Waiting to see what Subaru has planned for it's 2015 relaunch of cars. Reports from automotive authorities the FA20 engine is going to be their new power plant across the board including the STI's which might be more than the WRX in 2015. Watched a Motor Trend video on a turbo-charged BRZ that makes over 450 HP and 500 ft pounds of torque with the FA20 engine. The builder claims it was a stronger engine then the EJ's as a build platform.

Great write up!

I've always wanted to give one of these GT500s a drive...even one of the older 07 or so models which can now be had for a relatively low price
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I actually think the Super Snake could use a larger injection of technology to help control some of the power. I'm not saying GTR-levels of tech, but an updated drivetrain might not go terribly wrong with the car. I'm not sure how or what, exactly, but something to prevent/control/direct the inevitable tire spin.

I'm actually really excited about the new 2.0L subaru engine. I doubt I'll be trading in my WRX early, but after 5 years or so I could see myself getting a new STI or BRZ wit that motor and building it up to the 500/500 range - I think that's the number I'd be happy with with my current car. I don't think I'd DD either one of those cars, though.

About the B-King: I actually thought my Speed triple was more of an arm-ripper than the B-king. The Speed reminded me the WRX (a bit) with the torquey response, and it could wheelie in about any gear besides 6th. It wasn't a torque curve at all, more like a flat line of torque, and the WRX (once on boost) has a lot of that feel for some reason.

The B-king just never, ever, ever ran out of power. It didn't matter if you were doing 20 or 180mph, the bike still had a lot more power just a wrist twist away. With the super and the updated gearing I had on it, I barely ever shifted out of 3rd (highway included). I sold it to get a more civilized bike (Kawi Concours 1400), but I honestly miss the B-king on most days.