Clarkson
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Clarkson within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think clarkson killed the wrx in England http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S4CfW...%3DS4CfWdoSOTk If I remember this episode correctly the sti went on to ...

Clarkson

I think clarkson killed the wrx in England http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=S4CfW...%3DS4CfWdoSOTk
    If I remember this episode correctly the sti went on to lap faster than the equivalent evo yet he made the sti seem like crap

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well if they woulda fixed the damn under steer problem
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So? He hates a lot of cars. Doesn't mean I agree with him.

He called the bugeyes "uglier than a war wound"
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't worry about it. The cars sold anyway and prices are up. If anything I wish he had enough influence to make them drop somehow; as is I'd hesitate to spend the money for another Imprezas even if I needed one.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    I think clarkson killed the wrx in England YouTube
    If I remember this episode correctly the sti went on to lap faster than the equivalent evo yet he made the sti seem like crap
    What killed the WRX in England was cheaper competition with similar amounts of power. In the 90s, and even into the '00s (naughties?) the WRX had a comparatively insane amount of power for the price. Now Ford has the Focus ST with 250hp and Vauxhall has the Astra VXR with 280hp. The Impreza's selling point in Britain was huge amounts of power for little money (AWD was just a bonus). Subaru failed to keep that performance advantage, but continued to increase the price.
    Last edited by Soobvirgin; 05-28-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Smelling pistake

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes the price thing is just not on.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    What killed the WRX in England was cheaper competition with similar amounts of power. In the 90s, and even into the '00s (naughties?) the WRX had a comparatively insane amount of power for the price. Now Ford has the Focus ST with 250hp and Vauxhall has the Astra VXR with 280hp. The Impreza's selling point in Britain was huge amounts of power for little money (AWD was just a bonus). Subaru failed to keep that performance advantage, but continued to increase the price.
    Ok so certainly there are other factors.. but I don't think it was horribly priced.
    Subaru UK Slashes Price of Base WRX STI by £6,000, Presents New 335hp Variant - Carscoops - I have to admit that this is towards the end.
    I realize that's the point of his show to be provocative but he is a very big voice and extremely influential - especially inside the UK.
    I think he really damaged the street cred of the car - for better or worse image is a big thing when buying a sports type car for most people.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Subaru failed to keep that performance advantage, but continued to increase the price.
    I agree that the WRX is no longer as competitive at the price point, but the price hasn't really increased over the decade the car has been sold in the U.S.A. In 2002, the Impreza WRX costed $24,500. In 2013, the same Impreza WRX cost $25,900: only a $1400 bump in 11 years!

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    In 2002 my car was $22K though and every dealer had plenty. Now they're more money and inventory isn't as good.

UK owners: let's say Clarkson damaged the car's "street cred." Let's also say that not only does such a thing exist, but it also somehow... matters (this is great news in a way; it means we've solved all problems worldwide -- hunger, disease, war, etc. -- so now all we have to worry about is what others think about our Japanese cars).

Prices are lower.
    Insurance should be lower too.
    Nobody's stealing them; undesirable.
    Nobody's policing them; unfashionable and slow.

Shouldn't you be sending Clarkson Christmas cards? In fact shouldn't you be insisting that he absolutely trash the Imprezas every chance he gets? I would.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-29-2013 at 05:28 AM.

I paid about 25k for my WRX just last Jan - completely base. I think the handling benefits of AWD are still relevant even outside snow areas - aside from the rallyart there is really no direct four door competitors as a base car.

The lancer seems to be doing well in the UK

Attachment 114257

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Shouldn't you be sending Clarkson Christmas cards? In fact shouldn't you be insisting that he absolutely trash the Imprezas every chance he gets? I would.
    Haha, I guess

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In 2002 my car was $22K though and every dealer had plenty. Now they're more money and inventory isn't as good.
    Agreed on the demand, but it's impressive that you purchased your Impreza for $500 under dealer invoice! The initial purchase price for my Impreza in 2003 was $27,495 with the options selected (performance handling package, premium sound, short throw shifter, Titanium shift knob, and a few bits here and there). IMO, given an Impreza WRX with equal quality today, the price is competitive.

Facebook me here

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    The lancer seems to be doing well in the UK.
    As it should be. I'm not convinced that AWD is as popular or as necessary in the most populous areas of Great Britain with the exception of the SUVs on which AWD is standard.

However, this is a moot point, because I am also not convinced that more than 40 horsepower is necessary in a vehicle in the most populous areas of Great Britain.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The initial purchase price for my Impreza in 2003 was $27,495 with the options selected
    Wow, I guess mine was stripped, or this is geographically dependent? I can't remember the exact number for mine, but in March 2002, I know I paid under $24,000 for my sedan, with premium sound.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

$25,907 in 2002 for mine with spoiler, wheel lock, auto dim miror, auto filtration system, carbon fiber trim, premium sound, security system, muflaps,STS, sti scoop, trunk cargo net.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast