wrx v.s. wrx
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx v.s. wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i just turned 16 and my parents willing to help me with getting a wrx. I have seen one ...

wrx v.s. wrx

so i just turned 16 and my parents willing to help me with getting a wrx. I have seen one that I am really interested in, but it has some problems

there is a check engine light and the seller said that is was because of the exhaust system, can someone please help me so i can make a smart decision

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    what year is it?

usually if you have an aftermarket turboback exhaust it will cause a CEL to come on unless you have a tune for it.

02-03 can get away with not being tuned. 04+ cannot.

either way though, you're better off looking at one that is not modified (preferably one owner with maintenance records) especially if you are going to pay for repairs & maintenance yourself. you dont want to go broke at 16.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

^Gospel. She preaches nothing but the truth.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Also probably not the best idea to get a WRX at 16. Not trying to tell you what to do, but its a fast car, and for a new/inexperienced driver and it can get you in a lot of trouble.

it's and 04 and is a turboback,

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    what year is it?

usually if you have an aftermarket turboback exhaust it will cause a CEL to come on unless you have a tune for it.

02-03 can get away with not being tuned. 04+ cannot.

either way though, you're better off looking at one that is not modified (preferably one owner with maintenance records) especially if you are going to pay for repairs & maintenance yourself. you dont want to go broke at 16.

I Support ClubWRX
    Think about a different car buddy. At 16, I wouldn't be alive if I would've owned a WRX.

The WRX is a fast car. It's a 4 door sports sedan. It's faster than 90% of cars on the road. Get good at driving first on something that isn't going to tempt you to hit 100+ on a back road.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Sorry, but theyre right. Get an unmodified if you are, but at 16 a WRX can be dangerous. My suggestion would be a manual 4 banger that you can beat the piss out of, and when you graduate high school get a WRX. You'll be better off and can probably save up enough to get a little nicer one than you can now
    '11 WRX DGM

(Sinister) as a kid who has been around cars and build and helped rebuild cars I've learned to respect cars. I am also one of the 16 year-olds who do not believe that they're the best driver or above average, I know my limits and is able to resist the erge to try to hit 100MPH
    (I don't mean to come out as an brat or arrogant)

I Support ClubWRX
    No worries. You don't sound arrogant at all. Just keep in mind a few things.. I come from an emergency medicine background... and see quite a few kids that had fast cars get hurt / killed. You may not want to go fast, but peer pressure is a b*tch. And let's be honest... if you didn't want to go fast... you wouldn't be looking at a WRX

I guess that my personal opinion would to get a cheaper car, and get involved in AutoX. It'd teach you how to drive and respect performance vehicles, then maybe when you hit 18 you could afford a better WRX that doesn't have issues.

Also keep in mind that these cars are very frequently modified. And 90% of the modified ones are not modified correctly. That means a TON of costs in maintenance for you on the back end.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

What're the cars you recommend
    Also where I'm located there's not really a big group of people into autoX

I Support ClubWRX
    Look into a 2.5rs. or 2.5i. Great cars. Drove a 2.5i for 6 years and loved it. Relatively fast, great in all weather, good quality. Stepping up to the STi felt great after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    At 16, I wouldn't be alive if I would've owned a WRX.
    ^^^ I say that to myself all the time haha.

I think the perfect car for a 16 year old who wants to get into performance Subarus is a nice GC RS Coupe. It's peppy enough to keep you happy but definitely tame enough to keep you alive....and a bad ass car.

I wish i could but, my parents think it would be to old...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Look into a 2.5rs. or 2.5i. Great cars. Drove a 2.5i for 6 years and loved it. Relatively fast, great in all weather, good quality. Stepping up to the STi felt great after that.
    Exactly my recommendation. Get a 1999 4 door 2.2l impreza. Its not a rs but Its half the price and twice as common. Plus the 2.2 is a very strong block for future mods such as a wrx head and turbocharger. But at 16 u probably won't get too far on the engine and u honestly won't miss it. If u copy the sti look on that impreza, it'll be sweet, cheap, and a very unique car. If I had a wrx at 16 I would have almost certainly gotten myself into a boat load of trouble or worst, wrap it around a tree.
    Cars are dangerous. U could fully build yourself a 99 sti replica without motor dor around 5k with the price of car

My parents got me a 2000 Chevy Cavalier for my first car. Automatic, 2.2L (not that Z24) and I just learned how to drive, then moved on to a 1997 VW Jetta GT and realized how much I like driving stick and driving cars. So I sold it and bought myself a 2004 Subaru WRX. No regrets, great car, wicked fast compared to the previous cars I've owned. But as everyone posted above me. You'll most likely get yourself in either
    A. Physical Trouble
    B. Law Trouble
    C. Financial Trouble

I'm 19 now so I'm not sure if my opinion is invalid or not, but I would just like to share. A

Also my friend owns a Black 2005 RS and it has a catback on it and it is just mean. It's ALL black, lowered a bit with nice black wheels and it's just loud, Lovely car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.