wrx v.s. wrx - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on wrx v.s. wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Important thing to point out: As Dez said, if it is an 04 with "exhaust that is causing the CEL" ...

Important thing to point out:

As Dez said, if it is an 04 with "exhaust that is causing the CEL" then it most likely has not been tuned for that exhaust. On an 04 that is an issue.

If you are going to get a wrx, this one doesn't sound like a good one just from the information you've given us.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Important thing to point out:

As Dez said, if it is an 04 with "exhaust that is causing the CEL" then it most likely has not been tuned for that exhaust. On an 04 that is an issue.

If you are going to get a wrx, this one doesn't sound like a good one just from the information you've given us.

I believe the 04 is a 2.0l and doesn't need EM to have a TBE? Correct me if I'm wrong WRX vets.....

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Only 02-03 can get away with no tune.

04+ cannot

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by 98sob View Post
    I believe the 04 is a 2.0l and doesn't need EM to have a TBE? Correct me if I'm wrong WRX vets.....
    As stated, you can get away with it only on the 02s and 03s.

Stolen from Unabomber's manifesto:

What Subarus NEED engine management? While every Subaru will benefit from engine management, the 04+ turbo models (except STI) "require" it. The reason for this is the EPA mandated greater restrictions on ECUs for 2004+ and allow manufacturers to exclude one model. Subaru chose the STI as the exclusion, so the restrictions are not on the STI. The restrictions have to do with the open and closed loop fueling. To put the restrictions in a nutshell without being technical, there is a delay between open and closed loop fueling that can allow your 04+ Subaru to run lean during this crossover point in how your car gets fuel. Lean is dangerous as it produces detonation which is the #1 factor is blown pistons. In stock configuration, 04+ turbo models are fine, but modifications such as exhaust work or higher really necessitate the use of engine management as those mods cause the fueling issue to rear it's head. Yes, you can run certain mods for a short time until you get engine management, but you should never kid yourself on 04+ turbo models that bolt on modifications are fine without engine management.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    As stated, you can get away with it only on the 02s and 03s.

Stolen from Unabomber's manifesto:
    truth. my bad.

I say the same thing most others have said...try to find an unmodded WRX if you're going to buy one.

If you think you can make a "safer" decision and be happy with it, but your parents won't buy you an older car, then get an Impreza 2.5i...those are peppy, AWD, and very safe. It has more hp than the Mazda 3 I drove before I got my WRX, and the Mazda 3 was a BLAST to drive.

Ultimately it's your decision, though. If you want something crazy fast and awesome and think you can keep yourself out of a casket, go for it...cuz that's what you'll end up doing no matter what we say. If you want to get something more tame to keep the temptation out of reach, you might be better off, but I think if you want to kill yourself in a car, you don't need a WRX to do it, lol.

Whatever car you get, just be safe, smart, and enjoy it!

You sound like a good kid and I respect a lot of young drivers more than some adults on the road, but the key factor here is experience. Even if you've grown up around cars, you haven't actually been driving everyday with the other idiots on the road. I've personally been rear-ended on the freeway by a careless 16-17 year old WRX driver. Not saying you will be a bad driver. I would personally recommend something peppy like other people have suggests, a compromise. It will be less of a jump when you later decide to get a WRX or STI and it will help you build the basic experience of dealing with the insane amount of idiocy on the road these days.

just my 2cent

Agreed with a lot of the guy's here. A WRX is an insanely and wicked fast car. There are cases of kids who are 19-20 and drove stupid fast cars and ended up getting themselves killed. It's not a matter of you not having ability as it's the experience. I drive an 04 myself and gotten close into getting a few accidents and I'm 25 now. A 2.5RS is a great car to get your first time around though, get a catback exhaust with that and just use that. Most 2.5i or 2.5RS would be a fast and peppy little car to allow you to have some fun but not end up wrapping yourself around a tree. Unmodified or not, just some information from the boys over at IWSTI to think about. An STI is a somewhat different beast than a WRX but 227HP is still too much power and even being respected it's the lack of experience behind the wheel that would end up getting you killed.

Default Don't let your kid get killed please. Should I get my kid an STI?
    One question that often comes up on IWSTI is some flavor of:

I'm 17 years old, but I'm a great driver, should I get an STI for myself/my kid?

Here's the thing... the answer is probably "no." An STI is a well made, safely designed car, that has excellent handling, excellent safety ratings, and that kids seem to kill themselves in despite that. They are not the fastest car on the road, but they are faster than the ability of most young/inexperienced drivers to handle. One of the problems is that by the time you exceed the limits of the car, you are going fast enough to have a fatal crash, regardless of how the car is built. Slide off the road in a 1986 Dodge Omni at 25 MPH and you'll probably live. Slide off it at 135 MPH in a 2013 STI and you probably won't.

Look, there are literally thousands of 17 year olds that are mature enough, and capable enough to safely own and operate these cars. But... many, if not most are not. I am willing to bet that any kid killed in an STI considered themselves an excellent driver of above average skill. By all accounts, they are now considered deceased.

If you ask this question for yourself: Please don't. Buy another car. Not an Evo, Not a Camaro or a Mustang with a V8, not a sports car, and not a performance car. Buy a Miata, buy a BRZ, go get a pick-up truck, but don't be foolish. Get some experience, some real world road experience, perhaps maybe 5 years worth, then consider it again.

Don't buy your kid an STI. Be an adult. I'm sure you love your kid, and want them to be happy. I know I love my kids, and want them to be happy... but sometime you need to a parent and not a friend.

I'm putting this thread here to give a place to point to when this question gets asked. I want it to be a shortcut.

I'm going to post links to threads here. These are horror stories, for the most part. This is not the normal experiences, but the worst case scenarios. I'm not trying to be gruesome, or scare people, I just want you to think before you make a decision about this question.
    Four teens killed in horrific car crash on Long Island; teen at wheel only had learner's permit - NY Daily News

Queens Area - Do you know who this person is? - NASIOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't consider any stock or mildly modded WRX "insanely and wickedly fast..."

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So the kid has to drive a bucket with 91 hp? Well at 16 I was just happy to have a car lol so it might not be too bad.

My first car was '91 Talon in perfect one owner condition. By the time I was 17 I had it modified to be a lot faster than any WRX that I could find ( the blob eyes had just come out ). Obviously I'm still alive and doing fine. Only one speeding ticket ever, knock on wood.

I Support ClubWRX
    You know when you see those really low prices advertised outside the gas stations? Forget about those, they won't apply to you. WRX takes the expensive stuff at the pump, lots of it. You'll be broke all the time unless you have a full time job. Wait 'til you can afford to enjoy it.

And it's more expensive to insure.

No one's saying you should get a piece of cr*p, just something you won't lose your mind (or your wallet) over if you get a ding in it (or more likely, if someone dings it).
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Buy a Honda.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I own an 05 WRX. Great car. Mind you, as above mentioned, wallet to fun ratio, i'd give it a bit of time.Especially if you're considering going to College. I'm 25 now, and this is my first Subaru. Love it to bits, but I have it tuned at 93 octane(stage) and it has cost me just under 70 bones to fill it. They're not nice on gas.... or your wallet for that matter.

I have to agree with most of the comments, if you're adamant on getting a subaru, start with an RS and go from there. It's easy o get lost in upgrades after that :|

The CEL issue could be a faulty O2 censor has that been considered???
    GRAVELP <<<<<<<<< Xbox gamer tag

I am currently 27 but my first car when I was 16 was a 98 VW Beetle 2.0 5speed. It only had 115hp. I hated the look of the car but at least it was black and a 5 speed. I raced motocross in high school so didn't need speed on the streets. The car wasn't quick but it was plenty quick enough. It would roast the tires in 1st and chirp them in 2nd and 3rd. Point is I got 2 speeding tickets in that car. As others have said a WRX takes premium and insurance at 16 is going to be crazy... I wouldn't recomend a higher performance car as your first car. I love fast cars, my dad had 2 corvettes and I loved driving those. Point is a turbo car for your first car is not a good idea... It would be no diffrerent than getting a R1 for a first motorcylce. Build your credibility with insurance companies and then get one when you are a bit older. On a side note a pretty fun car that handles decent and is relatively quick would be a 06 body style Mazda 6 with the 3.0 V6.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12