09 WRX vs 06 GTO vs 350z vs 12 gti
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 09 WRX vs 06 GTO vs 350z vs 12 gti within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; In my Company I have a few buddies who all bash on my Subaru. what do you think the general ...

09 WRX vs 06 GTO vs 350z vs 12 gti

In my Company I have a few buddies who all bash on my Subaru. what do you think the general out come of these races?
    09 WRX (short throw)
    vs
    an 06 GTO catback exhaust intake CF hood and I think that's it
    vs
    04 350z stock
    vs
    12 VW GTI stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

GTO as long as its a straight line race.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I worded this wrong.
    wrx vs gto
    wrx vs 350z
    wrx vs gti

the only track around is a drag track

06 gti is the 6.0 right? Yeah that thing will most likely take the wrx. The 350z should be close, and the gti? If stock, not a chance.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    06 gti is the 6.0 right? Yeah that thing will most likely take the wrx. The 350z should be close, and the gti? If stock, not a chance.
    What Mods is it going to take for me to be in the same running as the GTO.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
    What Mods is it going to take for me to be in the same running as the GTO.
    Stage 2 probably. It all comes down to the driver honestly. None of the cars mentioned in this thread are all that impressive on a drag strip.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

For drag racing I think it would be:
    GTO
    WRX
    350Z
    GTI

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Arguably, testing a cars performance in only straight line is not a good measure of overall performance.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah Stage 2 should easily beat the GTO in a 1/4 mile drag as long as theirs a good driver behind the wheel. Will easily demolish the 350Z and GTi at stage 2 as well, easily pull on them.
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

A stage 2 should definitely do it, the GTO currently sits at .5 seconds faster in the quarter mile. It also depends on how well maintained that GTO is. If it had been beat, it may not be up to what it used to be.
    '11 WRX DGM

I hate to say it, but I disagree with most people in this thread regarding the GTO. Stock it's trapping 103+ and low 13s in the 1/4. If it's an automatic all the guess work is taken out too.

edit:
    Pontiac claimed the car capable of 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 4.6 seconds and a 13.0 second quarter mile at 108 mph (174 km/h) (automatic transmission).
    Car and Driver magazine tested the car at 4.8 seconds 0-60 mph and 13.3 seconds at 107 mph (172 km/h) for the quarter mile

One of my friends was embarrassed by the track time with his GTO. Last year his best time was a 14.5 1/4 with a horrible 60'. His GTO is modded with a cam, intake, exhaust, and custom tune. His problem was that he has no traction with his crappy tires. I told him to look into some KDW2s and that should give him some better grip.

Unles the GTO has sticky tires ensuring decent a 60ft the stage 2 WRX should do fine... unless you bog down. Once you get in to 3rd gear he should start creeping up on you.

If yall go at it a few times i bet you both will win a couple since it is a close match. As for the other cars no need to worry.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

In a straight line, the Pontiac will easily come out on top unless the driver is completely clueless.
    I just switched to the WRX from an 09 Pontiac G8 GT - with Vararam intake, cat-back exhaust and running a Cortex Tuner 93 octane tune - those mods put my G8 at about the same horsepower and torque specs as the stock 06 GTO, but obviously the G8 is bigger and heavier. My G8 would crank out 4.5 second 0-60 times all day long(per the Cortex data logging) on "decent" street tires (Falkon 452's) with "perfect" launches resulting in low 4.4 0-60 times. You listed the GTO mods as exhaust and intake - if they put a good exhaust and intake on it, and also have a flash tune (would be crazy for them not to since you can get a Cortex flash tuner for the Pontiacs for ~$315) that GTO will be putting out around 440-445 horsepower. That thing will be VERY quick as long as they have sticky enough rubber to hook up all the power and torque it is putting out.

A lot of people don't realize how fast the Pontiacs really are. They also handle much better than expected too.

While I love my brand new WRX (no mods yet - plenty planned), in a straight line, my former G8 would "spank it". From all of the research I've done and per the other replies, Stage 2 should make things close to a "toss up" against a stock GTO. I think it will take a bit more than Stage 2 to take a modded GTO.

I Support ClubWRX
    Cross the GTI and 350Z off the list, it is really about the wrx and GTO.

Couple things to consider:

If the race was limited to a 1320 strip then nerves come into play. *Altitude will play a big factor. The GTO requires managing wheelspin to get the most out of it, while the wrx requires balls and blatant disregard to extract the most our of.

In my experience with 2 novices or beginners at the drag strip the wrx will get the GTO 2-3 times.

Simply because the GTO driver will get anxious when the WRX pulls 4-6 cars off the line with a 60' time of 1.7x-1.8 secs, not manage his wheel spin (he'll mash the right foot down).

Remember regardless of what the magazines say with their "press mules" what the published figures are, and what the times you see at a drag strip are, are two different things.

The WRX requires no special tires or treatment.

The ideal race for the wrx would go like this:

* Obviously no warm up in the burnout pit
    * All accessories turned off including TC
    * Rev to 5200RPM
    * GO as soon as you see 2nd light
    * Don't "drop the clutch" do a slight slip to minimize drive-train shock
    * note: you will spin all 4 tires for a little ways
    * Shift 2nd quickly just before the limiter
    * Shift 3rd just before the limiter
    * You'll hit 4th right before the line.

Trap will be 95MPH-100MPH

The GTO would do well to have some super sticky tires ala drag radials or slicks.

*His 60' will be 2.2 secs+
    *His launch will be at a lower RPM with right foot modulation
    *If done right he will win, but it takes a lot more skill, especially when you "appear" to be losing.
    *The wrx will win to the 1/8th mile for sure regardless
    *When the GTO comes by it will be at the line or just before when the displacement comes into play

Makes me wanna go back to the drag strip.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.