13' WRX vs 11' STI

This is a discussion on 13' WRX vs 11' STI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; sooo I wasn't sure how to search for this and I browsed around for a bit but didn't find anything ...

13' WRX vs 11' STI

sooo I wasn't sure how to search for this and I browsed around for a bit but didn't find anything that matched my question. The breakdown is that I am in the market for a new car ~$30k (already whittled away my other choices genesis coupe, speed3 etc...) and now I am down to either a brand spanking new WRX or a used STI. Yes... yes I am fully aware of the obvious performance differences between the two. My problem is that in the past I have seen some shady stuff happen when buying a used "performance car" in the G35 or VW world I found that only two type of people sell their 1 or 2 year old car.. the 18 year old who after a year realized that he cannot afford the car let alone the proper maintenance and probably installed substandard "performance upgrades" and so I would be the one seeing the effects of not maintaining the car. The other guy is the one who bought it, installed $15k worth of upgrades, beat it to the ground, removed said parts, and traded it in because he got bored. Either way I am a bit nervous about buying a 2011 or 2012 STI. Any thoughts etc? and to answer ahead of time, if i got the WRX I would be doing upgrades slowly but surely, so I am pretty sure I could make up the 40 less hp eventually. thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It really depends how you will use it. For the average person, the WRX is the right car for a daily driver. If you will be doing autocross and track events frequently, then go with the STI. I think you might be hard pressed to find a 2 year old STI for 30k. But I think you will be able to find a used STI that wasn't beaten too badly.

As you can see from my join date, I haven't been here long so I am by no means an expert, but I did spend a lot of time debating exactly the same question. I had found a 2011 black STI that I wanted for a fair price (32 if I remember correctly) only 125 miles away. I hmmm and hawd about it for a while with the same concerns. I was able to stomach worse fuel economy, not my ideal color, and slightly higher insurance but the deal breaker for me was the uncertainty of the car's past (no glaring signs of abuse just uncertainty). End of long story I got 2013 WRX. I still want a STI, but that will have to wait 3-5 years.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Drive each one and say which you like more. You can see signs of modification or past modification, so just pay attention to those. A good owner will have kept records of maintenance done. If there's no record of that, then walk away.

It should be a long and arduous search process to find the right car for you...leave no stone unturned.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    It really depends how you will use it. For the average person, the WRX is the right car for a daily driver. If you will be doing autocross and track events frequently, then go with the STI. I think you might be hard pressed to find a 2 year old STI for 30k. But I think you will be able to find a used STI that wasn't beaten too badly.

As you can see from my join date, I haven't been here long so I am by no means an expert, but I did spend a lot of time debating exactly the same question. I had found a 2011 black STI that I wanted for a fair price (32 if I remember correctly) only 125 miles away. I hmmm and hawd about it for a while with the same concerns. I was able to stomach worse fuel economy, not my ideal color, and slightly higher insurance but the deal breaker for me was the uncertainty of the car's past (no glaring signs of abuse just uncertainty). End of long story I got 2013 WRX. I still want a STI, but that will have to wait 3-5 years.
    that's my sentiments exactly.. just wanted to be sure i wasn't coming from left field by myself. i did find two STI's in the color i want.. one is a '12 with 3.7k miles but it's freaking $36k... and then an '11 with 37k miles and it was $29k.. the '11 has an AEM sticker on it and is missing a small piece on the lower bumper which makes me think that the previous owner modded it etc... i think i will rest a lot easier with the brand new WRX than the used STI. thanks i appreciate the advice! now just to find me a white WRX... the one at the local dealer just got sold...

Used isn't bad, but I would stay away from a modified 2 year old sti. Probably was abused ran out of money and traded. A completely stock used one should be ok, some people have life changes and trade them in on better fuel economy cars. Like mine, I met the guy who traded it, he just had a baby and landed his dream job, that was 50 miles away. Though if I had the choice of a used sti or a brand new wrx, I'd probably go new. Its nice being the first.
    '11 WRX DGM

WRX IMO
    2013 WRX sedan - Cobb AP / Cobb SF (w/box) / Invidia N1 race / Invidia DP / Perrin BPV / GTspec equal length headers / TP tune

I'd have to say go with the new WRX. I think it makes for a more livable daily driver.

That way you know how it was broken in, and taken care of. That being said, I lucked into a great deal on my S2000 that had less than 10K miles on it. So they are out there.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune