'13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo test drive (for those who care)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo test drive (for those who care) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Short drive today (maybe 10 miles) in a Vitamin C Veloster Turbo. First off I dig the color (I like ...

'13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo test drive (for those who care)

Short drive today (maybe 10 miles) in a Vitamin C Veloster Turbo. First off I dig the color (I like Orange) with the black leather & silver accents. Dash is pretty awesome as Hyundai has a nice set up in this car. As mentioned in another thread, shifts are pretty close & tight for a "not overly expensive" sports hatch. Although the one I drove stickered at almost $27k with a ton of goodies. The 450 watt audio system is one of the better ones I've heard in a stock vehicle. I have a decent little set-up in my 4 Runner with an Alpine head unit, 2 amps and 2 12" JL Audio subs linked together with Phoenix Gold wiring. I base ALOT on the sound system as if its crappy, theres another $2 - $3g your gonna spend for an upgrade.

I'll use a post from XRedJar:

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    I drove the Veloster Turbo back in Oct. when I was car shopping. It's a nice car, it ran well....enough power to be fun. There was some torque steer, but it was not horrible.
    The interior is a nice place to sit, but then again I have no complaints with the WRX interior so I may not be the best judge there. The Veloster interior did seem smaller than the WRX, not cramped....but noticeable.
    couple points I noticed to ... torque steer once again not as bad as the wifes PT Turbo H/O, then again no FWD Dodge/Chrysler car has ever driven worth a damn. On the Veloster you really ONLY know its there on full throttle blast, not something that you notice during normal everyday driving. Suspension actually felt really good for a smaller car, no issue there.

"My" biggest complaint comes from having two soon to be 10 year olds. The single 3rd door is a HUGE drawback, but I knew going in it would be something I'd be letdown with. If it was a traditional 5 door hatch it would be much more appealing to adults with a family.

Its no racer, but the 201hp in that size of a car makes it more than capable as a daily driver. And you sure as hell can't beat that warranty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My girl friend has a 2012 Veloster, nonturbo. It is a really nice car, and the 450 watt system is a hell of a lot better than the stock WRX's. Great economy, and a sharp looking car. Hyundai and KIA make a really respectable car anymore.
    '11 WRX DGM

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cool thanks for the write up

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the GTI or Golf R on your test drive list?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Thanks for the writeup!

I might have considered one too (well, only as much as I considered any other car than the WRX ) but like you, the size turned me away. I crawled around in one at the Philly auto show a couple years ago and it was just too tight in that back seat from what I remember.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

It sure is purdy

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Is the GTI or Golf R on your test drive list?
    Honestly NO, neither of them really appeal to me although they do have good performance. As I mentioned I have 2 kids, so some space is something I really need to be aware of. I asked the wife, "how about a Cadillac CTS-V wagon"? She was cool with that until she saw the sticker. I may drive a Mitsu Lancer EVO R as the dealer right beside my local Subie dealer has one on the lot. Pretty sure Mitsubishi will be going away soon so this vehicle may be on its last hoorah.

When you want halfway decent gas mileage, space, performance, ability to haul stuff there are very few options. Halfway decent gas mileage to me is something that can get over 20mpg on the highway. My supercharged 4 Runner gets about 16-17 highway, in the city you can knocked that down about 4-5mpg more. I've considered a used Volvo V70 R wagon, but after 13 years of driving a Volvo its time to go somewhere else.

I Support ClubWRX
    They make a 4 door GTI and Golf R, and they are larger inside than the WRX, nicer too. Basically they are a rebodied Audi A3 for $7k less.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    They make a 4 door GTI and Golf R, and they are larger inside than the WRX, nicer too. Basically they are a rebodied Audi A3 for $7k less.
    VW's infamous electrical woes have always kept me away from the GTI. Is that changing for them?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    VW's infamous electrical woes have always kept me away from the GTI. Is that changing for them?
    I have owned a couple VW products and honestly I never had an electrical issue, and I owned them into high mileage.

*shrug* I guess I look at it the same as the Subaru glass transmission issue, treat the car right, keep up on your maintenance and you shouldn't have a problem.

Could be climate dependent too, electrical issues usually prop up in cold, salty environments, none of my cars see that...they are quintessential "California Cars".

FWIW, my WRX rattles and squeaks far more than any of my Vws did. And I always enjoyed the attention to detail in the vws; like how you removed the door panels with flush fasteners around the perimeter and there were no plastic clips to break like on my old domestic products. Or like how there is a bulkhead connector in the door jam to disconnect the door wiring should you need to take it apart or run speaker wire. And there interiors have always been top notch.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I have owned a couple VW products and honestly I never had an electrical issue, and I owned them into high mileage.

*shrug* I guess I look at it the same as the Subaru glass transmission issue, treat the car right, keep up on your maintenance and you shouldn't have a problem.

Could be climate dependent too, electrical issues usually prop up in cold, salty environments, none of my cars see that...they are quintessential "California Cars".

FWIW, my WRX rattles and squeaks far more than any of my Vws did. And I always enjoyed the attention to detail in the vws; like how you removed the door panels with flush fasteners around the perimeter and there were no plastic clips to break like on my old domestic products. Or like how there is a bulkhead connector in the door jam to disconnect the door wiring should you need to take it apart or run speaker wire. And there interiors have always been top notch.
    Yeah, I'm not saying VW's aren't quality cars, but I've known at least 4 different people who have owned VWs spanning 20+ model years, and every single one has had electrical faults. Some were just pesty things like some lights not working, others involved shorting and sparking HVAC controls, shorted airbags, and overheating.

I really want to like new VWs, and I agree the interior quality is worlds better than Subaru, but those bad experiences have tainted my image of it.
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-14-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

You want electrical problems buy a mid 80's to mid 90's Volvo, I couldn't tell you how many issues I've had with mine. They ran all the electrical thru the hatch hardware, even though the tailights aren't in that part of the car (only the 3rd brake light). From years of opening and closing the rear it basically breaks every wire that controls every light in the rear of the car, plus the wiper and rear window washer. There is no wire protection at all, so I've spent countless hours over the years splicing them back together .... on more than a few occasions.

Volvo also has a main wiring harness for the transmission on the underside of the car. When you live in the midwest with snow & salt it just eats the electical connections, to the tune of a $600 harness. I've also replaced it within the last 4-5 years.

Motor wise you can't beat these things, but I think my 9 year old could come up with a better wiring scheme.

I checked out the Golf R (online) .... looks pretty sweet. Maybe a trip to a VW dealer too, have one about 10 miles away that sell those along side Volvo & BMW's.

I grew up in the VW Bug era, so I have a hard time looking at a VW as a car I'd want to drive (if you understand what I mean).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
    I grew up in the VW Bug era, so I have a hard time looking at a VW as a car I'd want to drive (if you understand what I mean).
    I don't.
    I cut my teeth hopping up bugs back in the '80's, and having a blast doing so, so consequently I love the old, air-cooled cars.

I really see no relationship between the old cars and the new. I think the first generations of Rabbit may have had some sprinklings of common parts or thinking from the old Beetles...but that was a long, long time ago. The newer cars are more akin to an Audi. Which is probably why I'm not drawn to them.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I don't.
    I cut my teeth hopping up bugs back in the '80's, and having a blast doing so, so consequently I love the old, air-cooled cars.

I really see no relationship between the old cars and the new. I think the first generations of Rabbit may have had some sprinklings of common parts or thinking from the old Beetles...but that was a long, long time ago. The newer cars are more akin to an Audi. Which is probably why I'm not drawn to them.
    My younger cousin did the Bug thing back in the early 80's also. By that time us guys that had jobs were into GTO's Chevelle's, Nova's, Camaro's, Torinos & Fastback Mustangs.

I grew up in a small town of about 2200 people, so us guys all helped each other out with our "projects". My first car was a 1977 4-speed Camaro, I was working for a paint & body man at that time. Took about 6 months but we re-did everything from paint, interior & a freshly rebuilt 350 with a retrofitted M-22 Muncie "Rock Crusher" tranny.

30 years later there's a '69 4-speed GTO, a '68 Camaro SS, a '69 Camaro SS & a '69 396 Chevelle all sitting in garages within a 4 block radius of my moms house. All 4 vehicles owned by different guys. There'a also a '67 4-speed 389 Tri-power GTO less than a 1/2 mile away that just had a rotisserie restoration a few years back. Its currently "sorta" 4 sale at $50k.

You can see why the ole' VW just never appealed to me......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast