drove a '13 Focus ST today - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on drove a '13 Focus ST today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After reading this thread I went out and drove an ST a couple weeks back. Great car, really enjoyed it. ...

After reading this thread I went out and drove an ST a couple weeks back. Great car, really enjoyed it. I couldn't ever buy one due to snow in my area, but I was really impressed with how quickly the turbo spooled and how well it handled - I expected it to have more body roll than my WRX with bars/links, but it had less. The interior was alright, nothing spectacular except the Recaro seats. It also has a great shifter with a pretty tight pattern. If you haven't gone out and driven one, I highly recommend it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I was considering the ST, but now looking at them on the road and seeing the WRX I have, I would buy the WRX every time. The ST looks a bit plain. I like the outlandish looks of the WRX more. The ST is a great car, no doubt. I hope that everyone that has one enjoys the hell out of them.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    I was considering the ST, but now looking at them on the road and seeing the WRX I have, I would buy the WRX every time. The ST looks a bit plain. I like the outlandish looks of the WRX more. The ST is a great car, no doubt. I hope that everyone that has one enjoys the hell out of them.
    A flaming yellow hatchback with bespoke 18" wheels, an Aston mouth, and an Aventador exhaust, and you say the WRX is outlandish...

The Ford had a lot of neat little touches that show someone took the time to think the car through. For example, the Goodyear Eagle F1s had a small extra rubber bead around the edge of the wheel to protect against curbing. The fuel cap is cleverly intergrated in with the seams around the taillights. The active intake resonator keeps the car quiet and unassuming when cruising, but put your foot down, and it lets out a surprisingly throaty growl.

My biggest complaint was how much the car falls on its face when the weather turns nasty. On my test drive, a pleasant fall day went from clear and sunny to rainy and miserable. I was driving on coastal roads, averaging around 30 mph, and not at all driving in a manner I would consider "spirited". After all, I was driving a brand new $35k car I didn't own, and I'm not a test drive joyrider. On warm, dry pavement, those tires grip like claws, but introduce some puddles and mildly cool weather, and the car starts skidding and sliding like a greased pig on ice. The traction control killed all but a fraction of available power in a fruitless struggle to maintain grip, and the whole experience was actually quite nerve-wracking. It's very much a 1-2 season car in stock form.

The cargo space wasn't as much as I would have liked, my stocky body couldn't get comfortable in the Recaros (as much as I wanted to love them, I was sore in 15 minutes), and the Sync infotainment thing seemed like a waste of money.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The active intake resonator keeps the car quiet and unassuming when cruising, but put your foot down, and it lets out a surprisingly throaty growl.
    Forgot to include this, and I completely agree. The growl really sounds great at WOT.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    A flaming yellow hatchback with bespoke 18" wheels, an Aston mouth, and an Aventador exhaust, and you say the WRX is outlandish...

The Ford had a lot of neat little touches that show someone took the time to think the car through. For example, the Goodyear Eagle F1s had a small extra rubber bead around the edge of the wheel to protect against curbing. The fuel cap is cleverly intergrated in with the seams around the taillights. The active intake resonator keeps the car quiet and unassuming when cruising, but put your foot down, and it lets out a surprisingly throaty growl.

My biggest complaint was how much the car falls on its face when the weather turns nasty. On my test drive, a pleasant fall day went from clear and sunny to rainy and miserable. I was driving on coastal roads, averaging around 30 mph, and not at all driving in a manner I would consider "spirited". After all, I was driving a brand new $35k car I didn't own, and I'm not a test drive joyrider. On warm, dry pavement, those tires grip like claws, but introduce some puddles and mildly cool weather, and the car starts skidding and sliding like a greased pig on ice. The traction control killed all but a fraction of available power in a fruitless struggle to maintain grip, and the whole experience was actually quite nerve-wracking. It's very much a 1-2 season car in stock form.

The cargo space wasn't as much as I would have liked, my stocky body couldn't get comfortable in the Recaros (as much as I wanted to love them, I was sore in 15 minutes), and the Sync infotainment thing seemed like a waste of money.
    These are all excellent points. Definitely can't argue that the Focus is a well designed car, but IMO the 18" wheels don't do it for me and the "Tangerine Scream" paint is the only way to make it more exciting. The Aston mouth grew on me fast, but has already lost its luster. Don't even get me started on the technology in there. I test drove both the ST and the new Fusion and was thoroughly unimpressed with the tech packages as they seemed overly complicated and confusing. And I'm a HUGE advocate of making a smarter, more technologically sound car. The WRX is simple, utilitarian, and functions properly. It's got all the tech I need (I got it with sat nav package). Could it be better, yes, but it's not like playing PS3 while driving.

The looks of the STs aren't as radical, I feel. The WRX has so many intersecting angles that shouldn't be crashing into each other, yet they do in a very aggressive and eloquent way without screaming "Hey! I'm orange! Look at me!" Even in WRB. The ST does sound great at WOT, but I also don't like how the sound is pumped into the cabin and it's not a natural noise. I hear you on the weather. AWD, FTW in the WRX.

Don't get me wrong, someone gave me an ST, I'd drive the living hell out of it, I just prefer the WRX in almost every way.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I've said it before...I just don't fit in the ST. I'd love to drive one, but my wide ass and broad shoulders just simply cannot fit in the seats for a comfortable driving position. So it's not even worth a try.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I've said it before...I just don't fit in the ST. I'd love to drive one, but my wide ass and broad shoulders just simply cannot fit in the seats for a comfortable driving position. So it's not even worth a try.
    ST1s come with the regular Focus seats and not Recaros.
    2013 IS Focus ST
    BorgWarner EFR 6758 | Cobb AP | Corsair Intake Runner Plate | CP-E Austenite 3" Exhaust | CP-E Stage II RMM | Eibach FSB | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Eibach RSB | FSWerks CAI | JBR Stage II OCC | JBR Shifter Bushings | Mountune FMIC | OCDSpeed Catted 3" DP | Turbosmart Dual Port BOV | TTR PSMM

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    I drove the ST.. The good: Nice interior
    I thought the interior was horrible those air vents make it look odd

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    Your opinion. I think the interior is fantastic.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    So, you prefer form over function and quality. No wonder you bought a WRX. lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I had a focus before they were cool...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Interesting read lol

The WRX Myth

My favorite quote "I'd look at the WRX forums but I don't like puking."

I'd rather have an SVT Focus....always wanted one.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

The ST Fiesta is really neat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast