Vs 2013 mazdaspeed3 - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Vs 2013 mazdaspeed3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I can chime in on this as I recentlyy traded in both my Speed3's. I traded in my 2011 Speed3 ...

I can chime in on this as I recentlyy traded in both my Speed3's. I traded in my 2011 Speed3 for a '14 WRX hatchback and my '13 Speed3 for an '14 STi (coupe...wife's car). I do more long distance driving so, I opted to go with a WRX over an STi.

The '11 Speed3 had a K&N intake, Hypertech tuner, and Ark GRiP catback exhaust. The '13 had the same intake and Hypertech tune, stock exhaust. Now, I sold my intake/tuner to my friend who has an '11 Speed3.

Comparisons, the Speed handles nearly as well as the WRX however, the Speed tends to push the front easily so, the WRX wins in this department. Of course, throw in rain or snow and there is absolutely no comparison. The speed feels a bit firmer and has a harsher ride where the WRX is responsive but does seem to have more body roll.

The Speed3 does make more torque however, it tends to fall quickly stock and with a tune it does hold much better across the powerband. I will say that the WRX has a much more linear powerband but I do not feel like it loses power where the speed does drop off even with a tune which improves but does not resolve all the issues.

How do they compare? Having driven both, stock my WRX is about the same speed as the Speed3. Performing a quick pull within limites and NOT racing...I had my friend open his girlfriend's car coming off an on-ramp and my WRX was right with him even though my friend's has the intake/tune. I have not driven a WRX with a tune so, my guess is that it would be slightly faster. 0-60 the WRX wins hands down since the speed will spin tires 1st and 2nd (the factory limits boost in 1st and 2nd where the tuner removes that).

I like the smooth power delivery of the WRX and the AWD offers a significant advantage in the rain/snow which to me is a key reason for trading mine in. I will say that the Speed3 does get much better gas mileage however, the WRX is not bad if you keep the speeds resonable while driving on the hightway (65 to 70 seems to yield decent MPG in the WRX).

Interior, the Speed is nicer and offers more options. However, I actually like the simplicity of the WRX and the seats look/feel better in the WRX.

One big note...I absolutely HATE the shifter in the speed! The gates feel very soft and are difficult to shift quickly even if you are careful. The WRX has a more mechanical feel yet, are much easier to shift quickly. The clutch is far more consistent in the WRX, for whatever reason, the Speed3 tends to be very inconsistent when it comes to clutch feel/feedback.

Again, they are both very similar when it comes to overall performance. I think both cars are more of a preference however, the WRX is far more reliable when it comes to longterm, the Speeds tend to run into issues with the turbo/VVT when miles begin to increase going by what I have read. The clutch/transmission does seem to be stronger o the Speed compared to the WRX though.

Looks, l like both cars, I do like the WRX more though but the Speed (to me) is a good looking car.
    Last edited by chris410; 01-13-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Cobb Stage I

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can chime in on this as I recentlyy traded in both my Speed3's. I traded in my 2011 Speed3 for a '14 WRX hatchback and my '13 Speed3 for an STi (coupe).

The '11 Speed3 had a K&N intake, Hypertech tuner, and Ark GRiP catback exhaust. The '13 had the same intake and Hypertech tune, stock exhaust. Now, I sold my intake/tuner to my friend who has an '11 Speed3.

Comparisons, the Speed handles nearly as well as the WRX however, the Speed tends to push the front easily so, the WRX wins in this department. Of course, throw in rain or snow and there is absolutely no comparison. The speed feels a bit firmer and has a harsher ride where the WRX is responsive but feels softer which I am sure is a product of the suspension setup as compared to the Speed3.

The Speed3 does make more torque however, it tends to fall quickly stock and with a tune it does hold much better across the powerband. I will say that the WRX has a much more linear powerband but I do not feel like it loses power where the speed does drop off even with a tune which improves but does not resolve all the issues.

How do they compare? Having driven both, stock my WRX is about the same speed as the Speed3. Performing a quick pull within limites and NOT racing...I had my friend open his girlfriend's car coming off an on-ramp and my WRX was right with him even though my friend's has the intake/tune. I have not driven a WRX with a tune so, my guess is that it would be slightly faster. 0-60 the WRX wins hands down since the speed will spin tires 1st and 2nd (the factory limits boost in 1st and 2nd where the tuner removes that).

I like the smooth power delivery of the WRX and the AWD offers a significant advantage in the rain/snow which to me is a key reason for trading mine in. I will say that the Speed3 does get much better gas mileage however, the WRX is not bad if you keep the speeds resonable while driving on the hightway (65 to 70 seems to yield decent MPG in the WRX).

Interior, the Speed is nicer and offers more options. However, I actually like the simplicity of the WRX and the seats look/feel better in the WRX.

One big note...I absolutely HATE the shifter in the speed! The gates feel very soft and are difficult to shift quickly even if you are careful. The WRX has a more mechanical feel yet, are much easier to shift quickly. The clutch is far more consistent in the WRX, for whatever reason, the Speed3 tends to be very inconsistent when it comes to clutch feel/feedback.

Again, they are both very similar when it comes to overall performance. I think both cars are more of a preference however, the WRX is far more reliable when it comes to longterm, the Speeds tend to run into issues with the turbo/VVT when miles begin to increase going by what I have read. The clutch/transmission does seem to be stronger o the Speed compared to the WRX though.

Looks, l like both cars, I do like the WRX more though but the Speed (to me) is a good looking car.
    Chris

I love my speed3. Very spirited hatch. To me the 263 from the factory just isn't enough. I went big with mine. 385 whp. Now factory for factory, there's no way. The WRX will hook up too quick from a stop and first gear is completely useless in the speed. Trust me, I have all 3 motor mounts and it's still hard to hook up from a stop. Highway, it's gonna be dead even. Maybe a slight pull from either one, depending on driving habits. But to the OP, a stage 2 WRX will blow a speed3 out of the water. Take this from a staged speed owner. You'll blow the doors off a factory speed3.

Quote Originally Posted by Soko View Post
    I love my speed3. Very spirited hatch. To me the 263 from the factory just isn't enough. I went big with mine. 385 whp. Now factory for factory, there's no way. The WRX will hook up too quick from a stop and first gear is completely useless in the speed. Trust me, I have all 3 motor mounts and it's still hard to hook up from a stop. Highway, it's gonna be dead even. Maybe a slight pull from either one, depending on driving habits. But to the OP, a stage 2 WRX will blow a speed3 out of the water. Take this from a staged speed owner. You'll blow the doors off a factory speed3.
    385 is impressive, one big difference stock VS stock is the factory tune on the WRX is much better since it does not fall off through the revs as the Mazda does. Also, the WRX is very smooth where the Speed3 has rough spots where sometimes it almost feels like boost cut (this happened on my '11 and '13 speed3). After the Hypertech, the powerband did improve however, it still fell off towards redline where the WRX does not feel as fast as the speed however, above 4K rpm it pulls all the way to redline without dropping power. Also, I have noticed that the WRX feels much smoother and has a better throttle response.

That being said, they are both very good cars. The negative is the retail value on the Speed compared to the WRX, the WRX holds its value MUCH better than the Mazda. Also, it seems that the WRX is a better high mileage car where the Speed (from my research) holds up but not as well especially when it comes to the turbo on the speed.

The big thing for me with the WRX and the STi is the performance it has on dry/wet surfaces in addition to packed off-road. They may not be the fastest but they perform in any condition which most cars cannot. Of course, the rumble is addictive. It has been a month since buying my WRX and I can honestly say that each time I drive it, I like the car more and more. The only two other cars that gave me that feeling were my Supra and my GT500.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    385 is impressive, one big difference stock VS stock is the factory tune on the WRX is much better since it does not fall off through the revs as the Mazda does. Also, the WRX is very smooth where the Speed3 has rough spots where sometimes it almost feels like boost cut (this happened on my '11 and '13 speed3). After the Hypertech, the powerband did improve however, it still fell off towards redline where the WRX does not feel as fast as the speed however, above 4K rpm it pulls all the way to redline without dropping power. Also, I have noticed that the WRX feels much smoother and has a better throttle response.

That being said, they are both very good cars. The negative is the retail value on the Speed compared to the WRX, the WRX holds its value MUCH better than the Mazda. Also, it seems that the WRX is a better high mileage car where the Speed (from my research) holds up but not as well especially when it comes to the turbo on the speed.

The big thing for me with the WRX and the STi is the performance it has on dry/wet surfaces in addition to packed off-road. They may not be the fastest but they perform in any condition which most cars cannot. Of course, the rumble is addictive. It has been a month since buying my WRX and I can honestly say that each time I drive it, I like the car more and more. The only two other cars that gave me that feeling were my Supra and my GT500.
    Thanks man. A lot of time and money put into the motor of that Mazda. And it's funny that you brought up how weak the turbo system is because that's what led to me upgrading my car so much. Ended up blowing the turbo seal at 17 lbs, Excessive give, turbine went, white smoke blowing out the exhaust. I replaced everything with reinforced parts. Aftermarket is huge for the Mazda if you're willing to spend the money. And now, I am done. Meth injects, e85 tune, not exactly what I wanna do to my car.

Mentioning boost cut, on a stock tune as soon as the RPM's hit 5900 RPM there is a boost cut from 15 to 9 pounds to increase the life of the turbo.

But I like what you're saying about the WRX. I still have my Mazda and am waiting to trade it in on a '15 WRX when I get back from my deployment. Their performance in terrible conditions is a huge deal to me, living in Ohio. It's absolutely miserable.

Supra and GT500? Sounds like you have some serious change! Definitely not something us AD guys can compete with!

Nice! Thanks for your service and be safe!!! I no longer have the Supra or the GT500 however, I can honestly tell you that I enjoy the WRX as much as I did those two beasts. I would attribute it to the WRX having a very unique feeling in how the motor delivers power and the capabilities of the AWD. It is capable/fun in any weather/road condition. Supra and the GT500 had so much power that it had to be warm and a decent road otherwise, they liked to just spin and spin which could be dangerous at times (and slow!).

Thanks man. A lot of time and money put into the motor of that Mazda. And it's funny that you brought up how weak the turbo system is because that's what led to me upgrading my car so much. Ended up blowing the turbo seal at 17 lbs, Excessive give, turbine went, white smoke blowing out the exhaust. I replaced everything with reinforced parts. Aftermarket is huge for the Mazda if you're willing to spend the money. And now, I am done. Meth injects, e85 tune, not exactly what I wanna do to my car.

Mentioning boost cut, on a stock tune as soon as the RPM's hit 5900 RPM there is a boost cut from 15 to 9 pounds to increase the life of the turbo.

But I like what you're saying about the WRX. I still have my Mazda and am waiting to trade it in on a '15 WRX when I get back from my deployment. Their performance in terrible conditions is a huge deal to me, living in Ohio. It's absolutely miserable.

Supra and GT500? Sounds like you have some serious change! Definitely not something us AD guys can compete with!
    Last edited by chris410; 02-04-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    Nice! Thanks for your service and be safe!!! I no longer have the Supra or the GT500 however, I can honestly tell you that I enjoy the WRX as much as I did those two beasts. I would attribute it to the WRX having a very unique feeling in how the motor delivers power and the capabilities of the AWD. It is capable/fun in any weather/road condition. Supra and the GT500 had so much power that it had to be warm and a decent road otherwise, they liked to just spin and spin which could be dangerous at times (and slow!).
    I appreciate the support. And that's very surprising to hear someone say! Enjoying a WRX as much as those two absolute monsters! That really makes me feel better about getting one. My buddy just purchased an '11 STi and that's really what got me into the idea because I love my Mazda. It just has trouble laying down power cleanly in low gears. Highway speeds, no problem with the upgraded mounts. I commend you on giving such a bold comparison to the WRX! That is absolutely incredible to hear.

Well, I suppose you could say my view comes from enjoying a car in every aspect as far as cornering, drag, and daily driving (rain/dry/cold/snow). I come from a road racing background in motorcycles so to me, a 1/4 mile drag is simply the start of a race...how a vehicle brakes, corners, and feels overall is far more important. The areas the Supra/GT500 absolutely blow the WRX away is drag racing/highway pulls. Cornering, the Supra/GT500 handle very well in good conditions, throw in cold temps, rain, or worse yet snow and they are simply dangerous. While the WRX will not pin you to the seat the way the other two did...it does everything well all the time and does provide a lot of feedback and dare I say too much confidence. First thing you will notice is when you enter a turn, you will say...oh...I could have gone much faster. Second time...same feeling comes around until you realize that you are flying through corners far faster than you should! While the WRX is good...the STi is simply mind blowing, that car corners so well that it really impressed me.

My wife has a '14 STi and I opted for the '14 WRX hatch (I drive more so MPG and overall cost was a factor). However, for speed I have a '13 Hayabusa which is just stupid when it comes to speed and yet, that bike handles surprisingly well.

I appreciate the support. And that's very surprising to hear someone say! Enjoying a WRX as much as those two absolute monsters! That really makes me feel better about getting one. My buddy just purchased an '11 STi and that's really what got me into the idea because I love my Mazda. It just has trouble laying down power cleanly in low gears. Highway speeds, no problem with the upgraded mounts. I commend you on giving such a bold comparison to the WRX! That is absolutely incredible to hear.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I've had my ex girlfriend tell me when she gets her speed3 her stock speed would be my modded subie. I can see maybe by a numbers game if both are stock...but again only on paper is the speed faster because power being dispoersed to only two wheels rather then all four. But factor in this chick can barely keep an automatic on the road, let alone the wheel hop...and that a current gen stage 2 wrx is above 300hp while a stock speed is 287 I believe.
    What's up with these other communities wanting to race anyway... specifically hondas and mazdas
    Oddly enough i have had a 2007 speed3 and 2013 speed3. Now i have a 2014 WRX and i can guarantee stock to stock the newer gen speed3 would be totally ripped by a wry whether it be in a dig or a pull. This simply being that in the Speed the boost cuts off around the 4800-5K rpm mark and then just slowly climbs speed from 1-3. While in 4th and over 3500 rpm the boost is there and pulls all the way through to redline. Although the 2007 was by far faster and more responsive in turbo response. Nevertheless i would put my money on the Wrx all day. As per HP both the 2007-13 (as i know of) are at 263 whereas the WRX 265. Now two HP won't make a lick of difference. But the ECU limiter is horrible. There is just nothing after 5K in the RPM band...

I Support ClubWRX
    Can't compare it to a WRX yet, but Mazdaspeed 3s are such joys to drive around the city. The torque curve provides such a sudden delivery when you're rolling along. I never track it and am rarely driving on the highways so I'm usually below the 5k rpm and don't hit the power loss. Ignoring all of the top number comparisons for the car, as an everyday driver I think it's a blast.

With that being said, yes the power drop is very noticeable on highway ramps and driving in the snow with winter tires is doable but you never really feel planted. I'm switching to a '15 wrx soon and expect it to be similar in terms of city driving. Power in the low rpm and maxing out early, based on the few dyno runs out there.

Like i have said i had two of them and they were both blah in comparison. Not to mention my 2007 broke down all the time..

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 2008 Speed3 and it will destroy a GR WRX in the corners. It's a much tighter and more capable car IMO.

I agree with the boost limiter statement. In 1st and 2nd gear, hitting boost cut is like getting punched in the face. It's awful.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456