Vs 2013 mazdaspeed3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 87

This is a discussion on Vs 2013 mazdaspeed3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Who cares? It's really splitting hairs, but the WRX seems to be a more capable car. If you bought this ...

  1. #31
    Registered User ProZach626's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis Metro East
    Posts
    296
    Who cares? It's really splitting hairs, but the WRX seems to be a more capable car. If you bought this car to see it win bragging rights in the straight line, you bought the wrong car.

    Enjoy your car for what it is. Either that, or go get an automatic tansmission V8 and build it for the straight line.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfx View Post
    I spent a whole week test driving both a 2014 speed3, then the 13 WRX.

    From my butt testing, the speed3 launches quicker because it has more torque. The speed feels like you are going way faster than you are, and gets squirley under full boost. It feels like it loses a lot of power as rpm's go up.

    The WRX is smooth as you already know. But without a stage 1 map, I think the speed3 would take the WRX off the line, and end up losing 1/2-3/4 of the way down the track. With a stage 1 map on the subie, the speed3 would not have a chance.

    In the end, I got the WRX and am very happy.
    I test drove a '13 MS3 before buying my '12 WRX. However, our experiences could not have been more OPPOSITE.

    I thought the MS3 was RIDICULOUSLY slow at launch. I attributed this to the smaller displacement engine. Then I also found out that the stock tune limits power in the first 3 gears to keep the car from spinning the wheels too bad. Torque steer FTL. Even once I got on it, I didn't ever really feel like the MS3 was really that fast. It did sound pretty good, though, and I love the look of the new gen Mazdaspeed 3. The boost gauge is a joke, but at least they included one.

    The first time I went WOT in my WRX (after the 1,000 mile break-in, of course), I was absolutely sure I had made the right choice. After driving it a while I began to notice the weak spots in the powerband everyone complained about. So, I went Stage 1 with SF intake. I have no complaints at this time. I plan on getting a cat back to hear moar subbie rumble, and then at whatever point it starts to feel slow or weak again, I'll go Stage 2 and call it a day.

    I was just so underwhelmed by the Mazdaspeed 3. Plus, I ran one on the highway after going stage 1, and I put about 2 cars on him before he gave up. Stock, it probably would have been closer and the other way around. From what I hear, though, they are super easy to mod up to and past 300whp. The only thing is all that power only goes to 2 wheels...FWD FTL.

  4. #33
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,145
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The 2.3L DISI motor produces considerably more torque sooner in the power band than any EJ motor. The higher compression ratio, longer stroke, and turbo-integrated exhaust manifold results in far more improvement on torque production over the 200cc displacement bump. You are correct, the boost is limited in first gear, so launching becomes a bit more of a challenge. It's not limited in the first 3 gears as you have mentioned, per my understanding.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #34
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The 2.3L DISI motor produces considerably more torque sooner in the power band than any EJ motor. The higher compression ratio, longer stroke, and turbo-integrated exhaust manifold results in far more improvement on torque production over the 200cc displacement bump. You are correct, the boost is limited in first gear, so launching becomes a bit more of a challenge. It's not limited in the first 3 gears as you have mentioned, per my understanding.
    Well, I'm still on a Mazda forum from when I had my 3. According to everyone on there, power is limited in at least the first two gears. Some people think it's also limited in 3rd.

    And while on paper the power comes sooner in the speed 3...it would seem that in real life the power isn't so instant. I'm sure your specs are right and on a dyno the 3 does what you say it does, but when I drove it I felt the exact opposite. Maybe it has to do with the power being limited at first to minimize torque steer (there's another problem all together).

    Besides, the Speed 3 might produce power faster, but the WRX uses it sooner. If you mash the pedal down in a stock MS3, when the power does come, you get to do the floppy fish dance all over the road trying to point it straight as the tires spin and hop everywhere. In a WRX, you can launch it at 5k rpms and go straight in a hurry. Again, FWD FTL.

    On a side note, a previous gen Speed3 wanted to play on the way home from work today and I completely dusted it from a 40 roll getting on the highway. I started behind him and I waited until I saw the puff of black smoke that signaled him going WOT before I did the same. I'm Stage 1 with SF and he had some kind of different hood with a really small scoop to one side (off center)...maybe a ram air scoop for the intercooler? Or it could have been for the intake, I don't know. I've never seen that hood before. Whatever it was, he needed more than that. Lol


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

  6. #35
    Registered User wickedfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by XTi24 View Post
    Well, I'm still on a Mazda forum from when I had my 3. According to everyone on there, power is limited in at least the first two gears. Some people think it's also limited in 3rd.

    And while on paper the power comes sooner in the speed 3...it would seem that in real life the power isn't so instant. I'm sure your specs are right and on a dyno the 3 does what you say it does, but when I drove it I felt the exact opposite. Maybe it has to do with the power being limited at first to minimize torque steer (there's another problem all together).

    Besides, the Speed 3 might produce power faster, but the WRX uses it sooner. If you mash the pedal down in a stock MS3, when the power does come, you get to do the floppy fish dance all over the road trying to point it straight as the tires spin and hop everywhere. In a WRX, you can launch it at 5k rpms and go straight in a hurry. Again, FWD FTL.

    On a side note, a previous gen Speed3 wanted to play on the way home from work today and I completely dusted it from a 40 roll getting on the highway. I started behind him and I waited until I saw the puff of black smoke that signaled him going WOT before I did the same. I'm Stage 1 with SF and he had some kind of different hood with a really small scoop to one side (off center)...maybe a ram air scoop for the intercooler? Or it could have been for the intake, I don't know. I've never seen that hood before. Whatever it was, he needed more than that. Lol


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    I am wondering if they made any changes to the 2014 in order to solve customer complaints? The one I test drove, was a 2014 according to the dealer.

  7. #36
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedfx View Post
    I am wondering if they made any changes to the 2014 in order to solve customer complaints? The one I test drove, was a 2014 according to the dealer.
    It's possible. Pretty much everybody hated that "feature." I'm not sure if you can tune it out, or if it was a mechanical thing. I just know that one of the things Mazda was so proud of with the 2010+ MS3 was that they had made a number of changes to help get the power to the ground more effectively, rather than just increasing horsepower. Most people found the newer gen to be slower than previous versions. FAIL. Haha.

    Maybe they cut back on those "improvements" after getting enough negative feedback.


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

  8. #37
    Registered User wrx1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dover DE
    Posts
    623
    The WRX is underrated from factory... It puts down nearly the same numbers to all the wheels as the MS3 does to the front. As long as the WRX does not screw the launch to bad he it will pull first and second gear where the MS3 lacks traction and stay even from there. Also the WRX has better gains at stage 2 than the MS3. The dynos are off the COBB site all from the same dyno.

    Me and an MS3 took it up to about 45 MPH ( ya i know WRX territory)... He shut down when i was 3-4 cars out in front by 45.

    Ignore the 2nd WRX dyno on the chart... it has to be modified. Look at the last one for comparison.





    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

  9. #38
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Got next to a 2010+ Mazdaspeed 3 the other day and he dropped a gear and so did I. We were rolling at about 35. Then he just took off, so I followed. He only got about half a car in front and i stopped his pull. Then when he shifted again he started to slowly pull. We stopped at the next light and he said, "Are you stock?!" I said no. He said, "Ok, thank god!" Lol, I said, "Why, what do you have done?" He said he had a downpipe and intake, but no tune...NO TUNE. WTF, man. I started reading up on it when I got home, and apparently you can run all kinds of mods on MS3's without a tune and be fine. Of course they'd be even faster with the tune, but I bet it's nice not having to tune every time you change anything at all. Anyway, he gave me the thumbs up and I reciprocated. Nice guy.


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XTi24; 05-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

  10. #39
    Registered User 99pgpgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    251
    I did a 40 with an 08 ms3.. He had an intake and Cobb stage 1 tune. By 120 he had one car on me...


    Got back to our friends house, he asked what I had done to it. I said an intake... He said tune? I'm like.. Nope... He still doesn't believe me lol oh well.

  11. #40
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    I did a 40 with an 08 ms3.. He had an intake and Cobb stage 1 tune. By 120 he had one car on me...


    Got back to our friends house, he asked what I had done to it. I said an intake... He said tune? I'm like.. Nope... He still doesn't believe me lol oh well.
    What car do you have?


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

  12. #41
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    I did a 40 with an 08 ms3.. He had an intake and Cobb stage 1 tune. By 120 he had one car on me...


    Got back to our friends house, he asked what I had done to it. I said an intake... He said tune? I'm like.. Nope... He still doesn't believe me lol oh well.
    "Did a 40," I'm old and not cool, what does that mean?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  13. #42
    Registered User XTi24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    "Did a 40," I'm old and not cool, what does that mean?
    I think it means he drank a 40 ounce alcoholic beverage...


    Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

  14. #43
    Registered User 99pgpgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    251
    Yeahh was attempting an Edward 40 hands... But only got through one

    Lol... 13 wrx

  15. #44
    Registered User wrx1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dover DE
    Posts
    623
    The 2008 are slightly slower from the current generation with the hood scoop from what i understand. Great cars but i would never buy a sporty car with FWD. I would rather my performance be limited by reaching the limits of my engine, transmission... than my available traction.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

  16. #45
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    "Did a 40," I'm old and not cool, what does that mean?
    +1, more old, and less cool.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •