Subaru WRX Forum banner

Vs 2013 mazdaspeed3

37K views 86 replies 36 participants last post by  zax 
#1 ·
Do this guy I know says that at stage 2, his mazdaspeed3 will beat my stage 2 wrx in drag....... The track here is horrible so I refuse to go. But really??? Is this even possible??

#47 ·
Bro, you absolutely CANNOT run an intake safely on a '13 WRX without a tune. Hell, it's hard enough to get an intake running right on these cars WITH a tune, lol. You better get that tuned before you blow your engine.

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk

#44 ·
The 2008 are slightly slower from the current generation with the hood scoop from what i understand. Great cars but i would never buy a sporty car with FWD. I would rather my performance be limited by reaching the limits of my engine, transmission... than my available traction.

#57 ·
I know this thread kind of died, but as a 2010 ms3 owner I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Someone previously posted the speed would take the wrx off the line, but the wrx would pull on it later in the 1/4. Its actually quite the opposite of that. Ive driven my fair share of wrxs and am shocked that someone that owns wouldn't understand his own cars superiority off the line. The ms3s crazy torque stock would allow it to start pulling on the wrx once it hits 3rd (thats when the beast is really unleashed). In all honesty its likely to be a drivers race as the smallest error could make or break either car. If I were a betting man though, my money would be on the wrx due to the better launch. Both are amazing machines imo.

#66 ·
We just returned our Mazdaspeed3 fleet loaner last week, and as an owner of an '11 WRX, I had mixed feelings about my week with the car.

Torque steer in the MS3 is ridiculous.. Dare I say even a little dangerous? Despite the LSD and torque reduction in the first three gears, the wheel just wanted to pull if I launched it aggressively. That, coupled with a clunky shifter (that constantly got jammed up going into 3rd) really killed it for me. On the flip side, the car is really well put together, and is WORLDS better than the WRX when it comes to the interior.

Nice looking car, well priced and well equipped, but it just wasn't for me. :)

#67 ·
A co-worker of mine has an '11 MS3 with a 6 speed and the turbo. He RAVES about the car and I have to admit that it looks pretty badass. He offered me the opportunity to test drive it but I haven't had the chance. After reading this post, I think I'm gonna take him up on the chance to test drive this ride. He also offered to run me in my WRX but mine's a bone stock 02 Wagon and I'd assume that since he's 9 years newer he should be faster. That being said, I have many year's experience in street racing and I'm not sure he's ever raced anyone. It might just come down to a driver's race anyway!

I'm brand new to the import tuner scene. I have to admit that I am more than impressed with the power and drive-ability of these cars. I really do enjoy the ride home every day. My wife even likes it and is lobbying for me to take her 02 4 Runner so she can have the WRX.

As far as what's faster....someone else is always faster. I learned that many years ago as a street racer. I must have built 3-4 different motor combinations for my 68 Firebird over the years in the attempt to "go faster". In it's previous condition, my Firebird (which only weighs 3400 lbs) had a nasty 455 with over 450 HP and almost 600 ft/lbs of torque. It was just NASTY. I beat everyone....but there's always someone faster. One night I ran a guy with a tricked out Hemi Mopar. I got him off the line because I was running 3:90 gears but he caught me about mid-run and at that very moment I decided to stop pissing my money away trying to go faster and decided to focus on being cooler.

I pulled the car off the road and it underwent a 10 year restoration. Now it's fast... but it's no street racer. But I'll tell you this it's so damn cool that it gets tons of attention and thumbs up everywhere I take it. Honestly that's more fun than racing anyway!

#74 ·
NOW we're talkin'!

#76 · (Edited)
I can chime in on this as I recentlyy traded in both my Speed3's. I traded in my 2011 Speed3 for a '14 WRX hatchback and my '13 Speed3 for an '14 STi (coupe...wife's car). I do more long distance driving so, I opted to go with a WRX over an STi.

The '11 Speed3 had a K&N intake, Hypertech tuner, and Ark GRiP catback exhaust. The '13 had the same intake and Hypertech tune, stock exhaust. Now, I sold my intake/tuner to my friend who has an '11 Speed3.

Comparisons, the Speed handles nearly as well as the WRX however, the Speed tends to push the front easily so, the WRX wins in this department. Of course, throw in rain or snow and there is absolutely no comparison. The speed feels a bit firmer and has a harsher ride where the WRX is responsive but does seem to have more body roll.

The Speed3 does make more torque however, it tends to fall quickly stock and with a tune it does hold much better across the powerband. I will say that the WRX has a much more linear powerband but I do not feel like it loses power where the speed does drop off even with a tune which improves but does not resolve all the issues.

How do they compare? Having driven both, stock my WRX is about the same speed as the Speed3. Performing a quick pull within limites and NOT racing...I had my friend open his girlfriend's car coming off an on-ramp and my WRX was right with him even though my friend's has the intake/tune. I have not driven a WRX with a tune so, my guess is that it would be slightly faster. 0-60 the WRX wins hands down since the speed will spin tires 1st and 2nd (the factory limits boost in 1st and 2nd where the tuner removes that).

I like the smooth power delivery of the WRX and the AWD offers a significant advantage in the rain/snow which to me is a key reason for trading mine in. I will say that the Speed3 does get much better gas mileage however, the WRX is not bad if you keep the speeds resonable while driving on the hightway (65 to 70 seems to yield decent MPG in the WRX).

Interior, the Speed is nicer and offers more options. However, I actually like the simplicity of the WRX and the seats look/feel better in the WRX.

One big note...I absolutely HATE the shifter in the speed! The gates feel very soft and are difficult to shift quickly even if you are careful. The WRX has a more mechanical feel yet, are much easier to shift quickly. The clutch is far more consistent in the WRX, for whatever reason, the Speed3 tends to be very inconsistent when it comes to clutch feel/feedback.

Again, they are both very similar when it comes to overall performance. I think both cars are more of a preference however, the WRX is far more reliable when it comes to longterm, the Speeds tend to run into issues with the turbo/VVT when miles begin to increase going by what I have read. The clutch/transmission does seem to be stronger o the Speed compared to the WRX though.

Looks, l like both cars, I do like the WRX more though but the Speed (to me) is a good looking car.

#77 ·
I can chime in on this as I recentlyy traded in both my Speed3's. I traded in my 2011 Speed3 for a '14 WRX hatchback and my '13 Speed3 for an STi (coupe).

The '11 Speed3 had a K&N intake, Hypertech tuner, and Ark GRiP catback exhaust. The '13 had the same intake and Hypertech tune, stock exhaust. Now, I sold my intake/tuner to my friend who has an '11 Speed3.

Comparisons, the Speed handles nearly as well as the WRX however, the Speed tends to push the front easily so, the WRX wins in this department. Of course, throw in rain or snow and there is absolutely no comparison. The speed feels a bit firmer and has a harsher ride where the WRX is responsive but feels softer which I am sure is a product of the suspension setup as compared to the Speed3.

The Speed3 does make more torque however, it tends to fall quickly stock and with a tune it does hold much better across the powerband. I will say that the WRX has a much more linear powerband but I do not feel like it loses power where the speed does drop off even with a tune which improves but does not resolve all the issues.

How do they compare? Having driven both, stock my WRX is about the same speed as the Speed3. Performing a quick pull within limites and NOT racing...I had my friend open his girlfriend's car coming off an on-ramp and my WRX was right with him even though my friend's has the intake/tune. I have not driven a WRX with a tune so, my guess is that it would be slightly faster. 0-60 the WRX wins hands down since the speed will spin tires 1st and 2nd (the factory limits boost in 1st and 2nd where the tuner removes that).

I like the smooth power delivery of the WRX and the AWD offers a significant advantage in the rain/snow which to me is a key reason for trading mine in. I will say that the Speed3 does get much better gas mileage however, the WRX is not bad if you keep the speeds resonable while driving on the hightway (65 to 70 seems to yield decent MPG in the WRX).

Interior, the Speed is nicer and offers more options. However, I actually like the simplicity of the WRX and the seats look/feel better in the WRX.

One big note...I absolutely HATE the shifter in the speed! The gates feel very soft and are difficult to shift quickly even if you are careful. The WRX has a more mechanical feel yet, are much easier to shift quickly. The clutch is far more consistent in the WRX, for whatever reason, the Speed3 tends to be very inconsistent when it comes to clutch feel/feedback.

Again, they are both very similar when it comes to overall performance. I think both cars are more of a preference however, the WRX is far more reliable when it comes to longterm, the Speeds tend to run into issues with the turbo/VVT when miles begin to increase going by what I have read. The clutch/transmission does seem to be stronger o the Speed compared to the WRX though.

Looks, l like both cars, I do like the WRX more though but the Speed (to me) is a good looking car.

#78 ·
I love my speed3. Very spirited hatch. To me the 263 from the factory just isn't enough. I went big with mine. 385 whp. Now factory for factory, there's no way. The WRX will hook up too quick from a stop and first gear is completely useless in the speed. Trust me, I have all 3 motor mounts and it's still hard to hook up from a stop. Highway, it's gonna be dead even. Maybe a slight pull from either one, depending on driving habits. But to the OP, a stage 2 WRX will blow a speed3 out of the water. Take this from a staged speed owner. You'll blow the doors off a factory speed3.

#79 ·
385 is impressive, one big difference stock VS stock is the factory tune on the WRX is much better since it does not fall off through the revs as the Mazda does. Also, the WRX is very smooth where the Speed3 has rough spots where sometimes it almost feels like boost cut (this happened on my '11 and '13 speed3). After the Hypertech, the powerband did improve however, it still fell off towards redline where the WRX does not feel as fast as the speed however, above 4K rpm it pulls all the way to redline without dropping power. Also, I have noticed that the WRX feels much smoother and has a better throttle response.

That being said, they are both very good cars. The negative is the retail value on the Speed compared to the WRX, the WRX holds its value MUCH better than the Mazda. Also, it seems that the WRX is a better high mileage car where the Speed (from my research) holds up but not as well especially when it comes to the turbo on the speed.

The big thing for me with the WRX and the STi is the performance it has on dry/wet surfaces in addition to packed off-road. They may not be the fastest but they perform in any condition which most cars cannot. Of course, the rumble is addictive. It has been a month since buying my WRX and I can honestly say that each time I drive it, I like the car more and more. The only two other cars that gave me that feeling were my Supra and my GT500.

#85 ·
Can't compare it to a WRX yet, but Mazdaspeed 3s are such joys to drive around the city. The torque curve provides such a sudden delivery when you're rolling along. I never track it and am rarely driving on the highways so I'm usually below the 5k rpm and don't hit the power loss. Ignoring all of the top number comparisons for the car, as an everyday driver I think it's a blast.

With that being said, yes the power drop is very noticeable on highway ramps and driving in the snow with winter tires is doable but you never really feel planted. I'm switching to a '15 wrx soon and expect it to be similar in terms of city driving. Power in the low rpm and maxing out early, based on the few dyno runs out there.

#87 ·
I have a 2008 Speed3 and it will destroy a GR WRX in the corners. It's a much tighter and more capable car IMO.

I agree with the boost limiter statement. In 1st and 2nd gear, hitting boost cut is like getting punched in the face. It's awful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.