Motor Trend Comparo. WRX vs ST vs MS3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Motor Trend Comparo. WRX vs ST vs MS3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The ole Scooby made a nice account for itself. Quickest lap, shortest braking distances and crushed the other 2 in ...

Motor Trend Comparo. WRX vs ST vs MS3

The ole Scooby made a nice account for itself. Quickest lap, shortest braking distances and crushed the other 2 in acceleration.

2013 Mazdaspeed3 vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST vs. 2013 Subaru WRX Special Edition - Comparison - Motor Trend

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    The ole Scooby made a nice account for itself. Quickest lap, shortest braking distances and crushed the other 2 in acceleration.

2013 Mazdaspeed3 vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST vs. 2013 Subaru WRX Special Edition - Comparison - Motor Trend
    No surprise with the AWD.

But the other two kill the WRX in gas mileage.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

It's gotta be the giant aero killing hood scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    It's gotta be the giant aero killing hood scoop.
    So true.

They definitely are not the most aerodynamic vehicles made. IIRC, the GD generations are actually drag limited to about 177mph due to the poor aerodynamics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    What struck me as odd is that the other two vehicles have smaller motors but are either producing comparable or more torque yet at a lower RPM.

I always thought Subaru were going the wrong direction with the 2,5L motor; I wanted a higher output, lower emission, lower consumption 1,8L instead as a substitute for the 2,0L. The other two cars show that tech can substitute for displacement. I felt then and still do now that Subaru were taking the "easy" way out by increasing motor size to get more output -- anybody can do that, it's pre-WWII thinking.

One area I found Subaru impressive though is weight. Although the others carry less driveline they are comparable in weight or heavier.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What struck me as odd is that the other two vehicles have smaller motors but are either producing comparable or more torque yet at a lower RPM.

I always thought Subaru were going the wrong direction with the 2,5L motor; I wanted a higher output, lower emission, lower consumption 1,8L instead as a substitute for the 2,0L. The other two cars show that tech can substitute for displacement. I felt then and still do now that Subaru were taking the "easy" way out by increasing motor size to get more output -- anybody can do that, it's pre-WWII thinking.

One area I found Subaru impressive though is weight. Although the others carry less driveline they are comparable in weight or heavier.
    Sucks i can't use the "My car is heavier because it's AWD" now... when i lose.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

No surprise in that article. WRX, performance-wise, beats out the other two in almost every way. Magazine still ranks last thanks to interior.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, you learn to read between the lines when you're an enthusiast. I don't think magazines raved about the 2002's interior when it was new, either, but it was basically irrelevant to my decision to purchase.

OTOH, it seems like the demographic for WRX's has changed a bit. Modern owners seem more concerned about such items as steering wheel controls, sunroofs, etc.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    OTOH, it seems like the demographic for WRX's has changed a bit. Modern owners seem more concerned about such items as steering wheel controls, sunroofs, etc.
    I WANT MY WINDOWS TO ROLL UP AT THE SAME TIME, DAMN IT!!!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Not at all surprising. Out the three vehicles, only the Subaru does not come equipped with direct injection. As such, a lower compression ratio is a must. The Mazda and Ford both include a KKK turbo integrated into the exhaust housing (K04 for the Mazda and K03 for the Ford) which are both smaller and more efficient than the VF52.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I WANT MY WINDOWS TO ROLL UP AT THE SAME TIME, DAMN IT!!!
    Were you the one with the 20 second rollup time, or whatever? I actually tried mine, and they were all up in about 7 seconds. Not too bad, for an 11-year-old tarted-up econobox.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Not at all surprising. Out the three vehicles, only the Subaru does not come equipped with direct injection. As such, a lower compression ratio is a must. The Mazda and Ford both include a KKK turbo integrated into the exhaust housing (K04 for the Mazda and K03 for the Ford) which are both smaller and more efficient than the VF52.
    Much more room to integrate turbo components on an inline engine, especially a latitudinally mounted four banger...
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Were you the one with the 20 second rollup time, or whatever? I actually tried mine, and they were all up in about 7 seconds. Not too bad, for an 11-year-old tarted-up econobox.
    Nope, not me, just remembered that thread. I don't know what speed mine are, but they work well enough I don't even think about them. They do their job, and that's fine by me.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, that's sortof how I feel about it.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Much more room to integrate turbo components on an inline engine, especially a latitudinally mounted four banger...
    I'm not arguing with that... just that Subaru INSISTS on this ignorant flat-4 transverse transmission design.

At this point, Subaru is keeping the configuration merely to be different and as a marketing gimmick.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast