need Real Owner opinions/experiences
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on need Real Owner opinions/experiences within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, all very new to the community, looking to purchase my next car very soon.. not sure if this thread ...

need Real Owner opinions/experiences

Hi, all very new to the community, looking to purchase my next car very soon.. not sure if this thread has been discussed already

So I need some help with opinions/facts/experiences from those that have had both cars and have driven them in all seasons of the year.

So my question mainly is,

Which car is better for snow (significant amount of snow) with identical dedicated snow or winter tires on,

a 2011 - 2013 Subaru Wrx Hatch, or a 2005 - 2007 Subaru STI if there is any significant difference between the STI's.

I am new to this whole AWD scene so any help and personal experiences is greatly appreciated, especially anyone who has the
    Subarus in those years and has been in bad weather (snow) conditions

Basically anyone who has had any of the cars in the snow/winter and have seen all kinds of situations, such as steep inclines etc,
    just looking for which car is absolutely best in the snow as I do know that the Sti has the DCCD and everything, but if a
    regular 13' WRX gets around well in deep/heavy/hazardous snow conditions too then maybe I will go that route.

I basically want the BEST possible car between those for snow/winter conditions.. Assuming they both are very good in all other conditions

Thank you so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

with the same size tires and wheels ( different wheel sizes will be better, different wheel styles can get snow stuck in the spoke areas and make your car feel shaky when driving.) on you can compare car weight, incline-decline approach angles, ride height, power (for spinning all 4 and possibly getting stuck), dccd on sti, wheel gap for deep snow that can get packed in there (can measure from axle to bottom of front fender for clearance), some other mods to be more "snow/emergency worthy" always have tow straps, clothing, food, water, shovel, maybe even boards with some type of surface you can get traction on, lighting mods, differential mods, skid plates...etc.

id say both are going to do well in "Average" amounts of snow and if the roads are that snowy you shouldnt be out driving anyway.. but since youre looking for BEST id use some of those things to compare.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Thanks that's very true, I saw an STI get up a very steep incline yesterday with 4-6 inches of unplowed snow lol
    it was bad ass

Keep in mind ground clearance makes a big difference. If you're driving in "deep/heavy/hazardous snow conditions" you might screw up some of the plastic fascia or get high centered on drifts. Aside from ground clearance the two cars will be nearly identical in the snow.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    Keep in mind ground clearance makes a big difference. If you're driving in "deep/heavy/hazardous snow conditions" you might screw up some of the plastic fascia or get high centered on drifts. Aside from ground clearance the two cars will be nearly identical in the snow.
    ooh yeah good point, have you tested out your wrx this year in any bad storms? ik I've gotten bad storms here in NJ
    only reason I ask is cause I've read that the limited slip differentials and dccd on the STI are very
    significant over the wrxs open differentials

Yes, I've driven my wrx through some bad storms this year. Dealt with some bad ice storms, drove 200 miles on snow packed roads to get home for christmas, drove to work after 12 inches, and other similar storms without any issues. I was able to get out of my street while some FWD cars were stuck. Just drive smart and you will be fine.

What you need to remember is the limited slip diff might get you moving faster but it doesnt help you brake or turn on slick roads...which is what causes most of the accidents in the snow/ice. THe STI/WRX decision should be more based on what you will use the car for (daily driver vs. weekend warrior) instead of snow performance. Both are capable in the snow but they aren't tanks, you still need to drive smart.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    Yes, I've driven my wrx through some bad storms this year. Dealt with some bad ice storms, drove 200 miles on snow packed roads to get home for christmas, drove to work after 12 inches, and other similar storms without any issues. I was able to get out of my street while some FWD cars were stuck. Just drive smart and you will be fine.

What you need to remember is the limited slip diff might get you moving faster but it doesnt help you brake or turn on slick roads...which is what causes most of the accidents in the snow/ice. THe STI/WRX decision should be more based on what you will use the car for (daily driver vs. weekend warrior) instead of snow performance. Both are capable in the snow but they aren't tanks, you still need to drive smart.
    that is definitely reassuring, yeah it's gonna be basically a daily driver I was just worried about the wrx in snow,
    but it sounds like a beast lol I might add I am coming from FWD so I'm sure any AWD car would be great. It's nice to
    hear that it does well in significant snowfall since I'm usually out somewhere when it snows a ton lol
    nice color btw

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove a 2006 Impreza 2.5i for five years, and I also have been driving a 2011 STi sedan for two and a half years. Before these two cars I drove a Zr2 blazer with BF goodrich all terrain tires.

Both of the subarus have out performed the blazer's four wheel drive, hands down. The 2.5i was very capable, and never got stuck. The STi handles amazing in the snow (with winter tires of course), and has also never been stuck. I live in Maine, and have seen all forms of precipitation. The only thing that ever worries me is driving through deep snow banks, because I am not sure what might be hiding in there that could mess my bumper up. I will never drive any vehicle without all wheel drive as long as I continue to live in this area.

Good luck with your decision. I would say if the snow is too deep stay off the road, but I think that goes without saying

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I drove a 2006 Impreza 2.5i for five years, and I also have been driving a 2011 STi sedan for two and a half years. Before these two cars I drove a Zr2 blazer with BF goodrich all terrain tires.

Both of the subarus have out performed the blazer's four wheel drive, hands down. The 2.5i was very capable, and never got stuck. The STi handles amazing in the snow (with winter tires of course), and has also never been stuck. I live in Maine, and have seen all forms of precipitation. The only thing that ever worries me is driving through deep snow banks, because I am not sure what might be hiding in there that could mess my bumper up. I will never drive any vehicle without all wheel drive as long as I continue to live in this area.

Good luck with your decision. I would say if the snow is too deep stay off the road, but I think that goes without saying
    the 2011+ are extremely good looking too lol I guess it will depend on which one I find a better deal

My WRX handled awesome in the snow, and pulled right out of snow drifts easily when I'd go to northern PA visiting family. My STi slid around and bumped into a curb when I was pulling out of my steep driveway in the snow at a very low speed, but I would chalk that up to having summer performance tires in 10° weather.

FWIW, the WRX has a full time 50:50 front:rear power split whereas the center diff on the STi under normal conditions is set to 41:59 but can vary between a fully "locked" center diff setting of 50:50 and it's geared mechanical split when fully open, which is 35:65. It varies depending on DCCD setting, driving, traction, etc.

In summary I'd say that while the STi's drivetrain is far more advanced, the WRX is more than adequate with some good tires, and will outperform most AWD systems out there.

While I don't get much ice and snow down here in south Louisiana, I have to deal with crappy roads and lots of rain. I find my 2012 WRX balances out fun and practicality while doing well on these horrific roads and in the rain. It's more comfortable than the last STi I test drove, and has more than enough power to get into all kinds of trouble. If I were in the market for a 4 door hatchback or sedan with AWD, I'd purchase the WRX all over again!

Unfortunately, I find myself wanting a coupe again while my wife wants a 4 door. She can't drive a stick, and I don't want her 2011 Genesis Coupe. I'm sure I will agonize for years over another car purchase for myself whereas my wife will more than likely get the next car that appeals to her.

thanks guys, it does sound like the Wrx is a beast is the snow lol, I will most likely see if I can get a nice hatch, anyone with experience in the older STIs? more than likely ill be going with a 13' wrx hatch tho

Love my older STI. I like the rawness over it. Not to say I don't like newer gen WRXs...but I like minimalistic approaches to the performance you get out of the older STI.

All I have to say for best snow control/traction there is with the STI (and one of the reasons I came back to an older STI after a year hiatus): DCCD...look it up
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Hatch for sure, more weight in the back!!! I'm a die hard hatch guy though...don;t listen to me!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    All I have to say for best snow control/traction there is with the STI (and one of the reasons I came back to an older STI after a year hiatus): DCCD...look it up
    Agreed. But the viscous control system is fully effective for 99% of the population. The diffs will "lock" but it's mechanical interaction with the VLSD vs. the electronic diffs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast