need Real Owner opinions/experiences - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on need Real Owner opinions/experiences within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Love my older STI. I like the rawness over it. Not to say I don't like ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Love my older STI. I like the rawness over it. Not to say I don't like newer gen WRXs...but I like minimalistic approaches to the performance you get out of the older STI.

All I have to say for best snow control/traction there is with the STI (and one of the reasons I came back to an older STI after a year hiatus): DCCD...look it up
    hahah sweet I also enjoy the minimalist type that those older STIs offer, which may make me buy one lol plus I love the look of the older ones like your 05 they do look very raw and intimidating, pretty bad ass lol I also love the 11+ hatches tho

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Agreed. But the viscous control system is fully effective for 99% of the population. The diffs will "lock" but it's mechanical interaction with the VLSD vs. the electronic diffs.
    thanks Zax! that's one of the things I was looking to hear about from someone here, and it does sound like the Wrx is a beast in the snow, but it also does sound like the STI with the DCCD is very useful at the same time, thanks for the input man

While not a WRX vs STI comparison, I have some major snowfall experience and I know my Impreza Outback Sport was able to conquer every blizzard northern Illinois could muster without issue (100+ inches per year average). Snow type (wet vs dry, pack vs ice) or depth had no bearing on my ability to get to work (volunteer snow removal duty at a major hospital) or home after 16+ hours at any time, usually on unplowed and heavily drifted roads. Occasionally pull out a truck (or STI) or two along the way (in All Season tires no less, omg no those are terrible !!!!!1!!one). It was and still is unstoppable.

It led me to buy my WRX which, while a great car, isn't my first choice when it snows here in Oklahoma, not because I am afraid I will lose control or get stuck but because no one else knows how to drive (even when its warm and dry) and I don't want to get hit. So I stick with my OBS on the snowy days. It is a brilliant car, just needed a bit more power. I don't get the snowfall here to really test it out sadly. Luckily it's hot as hell 8 months out of the year...

However, as others mentioned, survivability is usually dependent on the driver more than the equipment.

Something to keep in mind, are those many, many months where you don't have snow to contend with, but the vicious streets left after those cold, salt filled winters destroy the pavement.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just add outback sport springs to an older gen WRX wagon and you have your wish.... OBS with more power.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Tempting....

I have been keeping a casual eye on Turbo Bajas... talk about holding value...

Quote Originally Posted by Rummie View Post
    While not a WRX vs STI comparison, I have some major snowfall experience and I know my Impreza Outback Sport was able to conquer every blizzard northern Illinois could muster without issue (100+ inches per year average). Snow type (wet vs dry, pack vs ice) or depth had no bearing on my ability to get to work (volunteer snow removal duty at a major hospital) or home after 16+ hours at any time, usually on unplowed and heavily drifted roads. Occasionally pull out a truck (or STI) or two along the way (in All Season tires no less, omg no those are terrible !!!!!1!!one). It was and still is unstoppable.

It led me to buy my WRX which, while a great car, isn't my first choice when it snows here in Oklahoma, not because I am afraid I will lose control or get stuck but because no one else knows how to drive (even when its warm and dry) and I don't want to get hit. So I stick with my OBS on the snowy days. It is a brilliant car, just needed a bit more power. I don't get the snowfall here to really test it out sadly. Luckily it's hot as hell 8 months out of the year...

However, as others mentioned, survivability is usually dependent on the driver more than the equipment.

Something to keep in mind, are those many, many months where you don't have snow to contend with, but the vicious streets left after those cold, salt filled winters destroy the pavement.
    You speak the truth. I get some major road rage when driving here. It could be slightly drizzling and people will drive 20mph under the speed limit.

We lost power during the mega-snowstorm that hit the northeast. We got 28" +/-, and lost power for over 48 hours. My two year old son and I decided that, after the house got down to 42 degrees inside, enough was enough - and high-tailed it to grandmas house at 2 pm even though there was a driving ban until 4 pm (I consider this case a real emergency where the ban wouldn't apply, and not an excuse to go drive in the snow - opinions may differ). It was sunny out at this point anyway.

I took my wrx with most of the roads having approximate 12" of snow. I have decent 16" snow tires. I had absolutely no issue driving on the roads, and only would say I 'lost traction' one time when I had to swearve around a fallen limb that snuck up on me. The only issue I had was that I was plowing snow so badly in the higher snow unplowed areas, that the front lower valance filled solid with snow after about 3 or 4 miles . This plowing-effect did end up putting a crack into my bumper on the bottom portion of the lower valance (right beneath the license plate). But the car walked up a 20% incline (my in-laws house) with about 8" of snow on it with no problem at all.

Keep in mind, the brakes are still brakes, and the AWD doesn't help when you have to stop. But as far as 'going in the snow' goes, I like this car quite a bit. Constantly inpressed with it.

You made the right call. Glad you were able to make it safely as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12