05 STI vs 06 G35 / 08 Acura TL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 STI vs 06 G35 / 08 Acura TL within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have 2 friends with these cars an they always brag about beating everyone else an love to speed ahead ...

05 STI vs 06 G35 / 08 Acura TL

I have 2 friends with these cars an they always brag about beating everyone else an love to speed ahead of people anywhere. I've always said to them when I get my new car I would be able to beat them or atleast get of head of them cause right now I'm always far behind since I have a Jetta 2.Slow.. How does the STI compete to the G35? I know I could most likely pass a TL with no problem at all. It's the G35 I'm worried about most. Any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure the STi will beat both cars. Unless you can't drive
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC View Post
    I'm pretty sure the STi will beat both cars. Unless you can't drive

The 2006 G35 makes 280 base HP, so should be a problem. Is the 2005 your looking at stock? Plus the STI would be more fun to drive.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Are those cars even comparable to the STI? I don't think so..

The infiniti is just a softened up 350z, and they aren't the fastest accelerating cars in the world. So, if you're a better driver you should have no issue beating him, but on a winding road, that may be a different story. It also depends on modifications and if it is auto or manual too.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Passing, like highway pulls at high speed to get around them? If the STI is stock, this may be closer than you guys care to admit, with the G35. Both cars trap somewhere in the 100-105mph range, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm assuming that you and your friends only do this in an isolated test track in Mexico.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

When comparing cars I think its normally a given that it is stock vs. stock because once you start modifying there is no telling; therefore, the question would be pointless. I'll give the Infiniti straight line. I think it would be close too, but anything besides a drag race the sti will surely be victorious.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I like to compare stock for stock as well...though, having owned a G35c for a while and lived in that world, I have to admit that the likelihood of a given STI being modded is MUCH higher. Also, a few hundred dollars invested in the STI can change things dramatically, while the Infiniti is pretty much "tapped out" unless you want to spend a fortune on forced induction.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Passing, like highway pulls at high speed to get around them? If the STI is stock, this may be closer than you guys care to admit, with the G35. Both cars trap somewhere in the 100-105mph range, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm assuming that you and your friends only do this in an isolated test track in Mexico.
    Car and driver gives the g35 and 05 WRX the same quarter mile at 14.4, I can only assume that the STI is quicker through the quarter. So, it comes down to driver really.

Good thing mexico is cool with all of this street racing.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    The 2006 G35 makes 280 base HP, so should be a problem. Is the 2005 your looking at stock? Plus the STI would be more fun to drive.
    Yes, it's going to be stock and same with the G35. IMO I think the STI would be ALOT more fun to drive, maintain, an do work on over the G35.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    The infiniti is just a softened up 350z, and they aren't the fastest accelerating cars in the world. So, if you're a better driver you should have no issue beating him, but on a winding road, that may be a different story. It also depends on modifications and if it is auto or manual too.
    I've heard that they don't have to to to intense of an acceleration and that they're kind of a heavy coupe. I didn't really think that the weight would make this much of a difference since it had more HP. It's also a manual but the TL is an automatic.

Also should I have to worry about this same with if it was a 350z?

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

They love do go onto the freeway to cruise an come across other drivers that are really into their cars and "test" them I guess you could say. So I probably would be doing some of the testing myself with them on the freeway atleast a few times. I also want to check out some events held at tracks like the STI/EVO Day events that are around everyone now an the . I'm really curious on what the ratio would be.

What's something you would recommend for a first MOD?

Quote Originally Posted by speedsterX View Post
    When comparing cars I think its normally a given that it is stock vs. stock because once you start modifying there is no telling; therefore, the question would be pointless. I'll give the Infiniti straight line. I think it would be close too, but anything besides a drag race the sti will surely be victorious.
    To be completely honest that's what I was thinking aswell. But I do want to still beat him even if we were to do a straight line. All depending on how far we choose to go also has to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cja1992 View Post
    I've heard that they don't have to to to intense of an acceleration and that they're kind of a heavy coupe. I didn't really think that the weight would make this much of a difference since it had more HP. It's also a manual but the TL is an automatic.

Also should I have to worry about this same with if it was a 350z?
    The 350z is more powerful, different suspension set up, and lighter than the g35. The 350z is more of a turns kind of car again, so straight line isn't insane. The 370z on the other hand is a different car, auto syncing down shifts, light weight and a better suspension.
    '11 WRX DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    Car and driver gives the g35 and 05 WRX the same quarter mile at 14.4, I can only assume that the STI is quicker through the quarter. So, it comes down to driver really.
    Quarter mile E.T. is pretty much useless for this comparison, given that the cars are already rolling. The AWD advantage is off the table, and is actually a hindrance to the STI rather than a help, once we're up at highway speeds. Trap speed becomes a much more realistic way to predict how quickly the cars will get up to a higher pace. As I said, both cars seem to be in that 100-105mph range.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast