Motor Trend Tests a 2013 WRX 0-60 in 4.7 Seconds, Likes the Hatch Better - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Motor Trend Tests a 2013 WRX 0-60 in 4.7 Seconds, Likes the Hatch Better within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Aren't all cars beaten up to get the best possible 0-60 times in these instrumented tests? Is there a difference ...

Aren't all cars beaten up to get the best possible 0-60 times in these instrumented tests? Is there a difference between a hard launch in a WRX vs. a GTI, for example?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rain27 View Post
    Aren't all cars beaten up to get the best possible 0-60 times in these instrumented tests? Is there a difference between a hard launch in a WRX vs. a GTI, for example?
    There is a lot more stress put on an AWD drivetrain when you "launch" than FWD. Our tires won't break loose as easily, so the trany/etc absorbs all that presure, which would be slightly released through tire spin on a FWD or RWD vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Coming from a 2006 Honda S2000 that was putting 234 Hp and 156 Tq down at the wheels, the 2013 WRX 5-door feels much quicker. I'm not one for hard launches in any car, especially this one. The WRX has a lot more torque, and that may be why it feels quicker, but I think it's also in the way the power is delivered.

Add to that and for some reason the 80Mph mark on the speedo my brain wants to think reads 60Mph. I'm completly stock at this point, but am considering a AP and using the Stage 1 tune. Just don't want to have warenty issues.

Maybe the WRX isn't capable of pulling a 4.8 to 60 without killing the drivetrain, but it has to be sub 6 seconds with a mild start. Anything in the 6 second range, especially at this price point is pretty respectable, I think anyway.
    I've had a 2013 GR body WRX and this is exactly how I feel as well. The car is so solid and the power delivery is torquey and very satisfying.

I came from a VW GLI, which is not a fast car but certainly not a slow car, with comparable performance to a GTI in the straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by rain27 View Post
    They would flog the GTI just as hard, absolutely. But it would be as bad for the VW because the front tires would spin for a few seconds. This would be the case with a launch controlled DSG (factory standard feature) or a 6MT.
    - mikey

2013 WRX | DGM | GR | FACTORY STOCK

I was never a huge fan of Dodge, but that SRT Dart looks pretty badass. I just don't see a point in having 300hp in a FWD car, especially from the factory. I was looking at Mazdaspeed 3's while shopping for the WRX and the biggest thing that turned me off (aside from the new body style) was the numerous comments about crazy torque steer with it.

Mazda apparently agreed with this, since the new gen is boost limited in the lower gears to calm it down a bit. Keep in mind, the MS3 is about 263hp...
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    I was never a huge fan of Dodge, but that SRT Dart looks pretty badass. I just don't see a point in having 300hp in a FWD car, especially from the factory. I was looking at Mazdaspeed 3's while shopping for the WRX and the biggest thing that turned me off (aside from the new body style) was the numerous comments about crazy torque steer with it.

Mazda apparently agreed with this, since the new gen is boost limited in the lower gears to calm it down a bit. Keep in mind, the MS3 is about 263hp...
    Agreed on the SRT Dart. After having two cars that were AWD I don't think I could go back to a FWD.

Some more interesting reading...DODGE...get it together and make this AWD:

2013 Dodge Dart SRT4: what we expect
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    Some more interesting reading...DODGE...get it together and make this AWD:

2013 Dodge Dart SRT4: what we expect
    +1

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Focus ST ftw
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by pmacey View Post
    FWIW, I'm a fan of DODGE turbo cars, having owned a PT Cruiser GT and Caliber SRT4....
    I have to second the "im sorry to hear this" sentiment someone else echoed. Maybe the Caliber had some beef - but a PT Cruiser.
    OMG they are god awful, my grandma had one, and once chimed in with "my car is a turbo too".

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    I just don't see a point in having 300hp in a FWD car, especially from the factory
    THIS!!! I don't get it. It happens all the time. My brother has a beautiful 08 Acura TL-S, but alas - ~285 HP and FWD.
    So many cars with potential (Mazdaspeed 3) do the same thing. Such a deal killer. Even that POS Neon SRT-4 could do much better w/ RWD.

At least the MS3 has a front LSD.
    - mikey

2013 WRX | DGM | GR | FACTORY STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeCal View Post
    THIS!!! I don't get it. It happens all the time. My brother has a beautiful 08 Acura TL-S, but alas - ~285 HP and FWD.
    So many cars with potential (Mazdaspeed 3) do the same thing. Such a deal killer. Even that POS Neon SRT-4 could do much better w/ RWD.
    You're not thinking like the avg consumer. I had an Impala SS...300+ HP fwd. It by no means was fast or nimble, but when in need I was able to get off the line or quickly pass someone. I will say though that is the only car I've owned that I don't know how fast it goes (personally tested). Felt like I was floating on a cloud and didn't feel comfortable at all after a certain speed. My previous car (03 GTI) felt like a go-kart compared to that.

That said the, IMHO, the avg consumer could care less about speed or power, the next group wants speed and power, but could care less about handling and the next group (smallest of them all) want it all which can't happen with a fwd car.

And all that being said there's a couple current gen fwd cars that are rated and agreed upon by several respected people better than the current gen WRX...Focus ST, MS3, Civic SI

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, most people give little to no thought to what wheels are driven. "I push pedal, car goes fast!"
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeCal View Post
    I have to second the "im sorry to hear this" sentiment someone else echoed. Maybe the Caliber had some beef - but a PT Cruiser.
    OMG they are god awful, my grandma had one, and once chimed in with "my car is a turbo too".
    Don't pass judgement on these cars unless you've actually driven and/or owned them (and I'm DAMN sure your grandma did NOT have a GT Turbo...unless she was one COOL lady!)

That being said...what cars have you owned/driven in the past and what Subaru do you currently own?
    Last edited by pmacey; 03-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX
    I've never had anything against the PT Cruiser, and have always been curious about the hatred that some people seem to have for them. When they were first released, the retro-styling was interesting, and the interior seems to be quite versatile. I will ding it for having a low-rent interior, or at least that's the impression I got from my rental. Elements of my WRX's interior are also pretty low budget.

It wasn't intended or sold as a performance or luxury car, so I wasn't surprised and angered when it wasn't either.
    All that said, apparently Chrysler really cut some corners on the car as it came to the end of its run.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.