2013 WRX vs 06 Volvo S60R

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX vs 06 Volvo S60R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Owned the S60R for 3+ years. Got it when I moved to COlorado since my 2x4 pickup ended up stuck ...

Registered User Captain Obvious's Avatar

2013 WRX vs 06 Volvo S60R

Owned the S60R for 3+ years. Got it when I moved to COlorado since my 2x4 pickup ended up stuck in a ditch the very first snow.

Luxury = S60R has clearly much more luxury features and details, but I would hope it did. The Volvo seats are definitely more comfy for trips.
    Sound system = S60R had better / great stock sound system but no from factory ability to connect my iPod but I don't think the WRX's is all that bad. I am not an audiophile tho.
    Ride = The Volvo had adjustable suspension, which was nice, but even the comfort setting was a more rough jarring ride that the WRX. And the extra cost for replacing shocks on the Volvo just wasn't worth it.
    Power = WRX is still in break in period, but it feels faster than the Volvo not sure on the tho.
    Space = Volvo has NO leg space in the back seat behind me for an adult. My wife as a passenger consumed too much space, I couldn't fit a rear facing baby seat in the Volvo, no issue in the WRX.

I loved driving the S60R, But hated owning it. Driving was always a blast. Already get the same pleasure from the Subie. Ultimately tho, I needed more back seat space adn got very tired of the constant repairs. Sure, the Volvo had 94k miles on it, but it felt like every other month I was taking it in for some sort of repair, and each time it was 50% more than the same repairs for non-European cars.

Other random thoughts
    Miss the 6th gear from the Volvo
    The cup holders on the Volvo were in the way of shifting, rendering them irritating at best, no problem in the WRX.
    Haven't really pushed the WRX through the same turns as I used to hit in the Volvo, I do know the Volvo always felt very planted.

Overall, very happy I made the switch. Even though I really enjoyed driving the Volvo, the money pit being gone is a relief.

vs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very nice. I hope your Subaru treats you well.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have fun with it. Mine has done very well taking me skiing. Major costs so far are snow tires and extra rims, plus mods I don't really need.
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the switch
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Hey congrats and nice R... I too had an 05 R sedan before the WRX just this last summer. I agree with your points above... the R was definitely nicer interior and the seats... dear lord the seats.

The WRX is as unique as the R was though. What the R lacked in the driver/car connection the WRX makes up for. What the R lacked in exterior looks, the WRX made up for, and what the R lacked in space, the WRX makes up for.

I could not decide which car was faster stock vs stock.. the R has way more torque stock but it is heavier so it "feels" like it would be faster... once I went Stage 1 in the WRX - the WRX feels and is quite possibly faster than the R was at STG 2.

But anyway - congrats on the purchase!!! I do agree that the volvo was getting very expensive to maintain - which is why I got rid of mine.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

I think i saw that volvo on 120'th one day. Love those.