2007 BMW 335i vs. 2013 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2007 BMW 335i vs. 2013 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX I've never sampled the newer, turbocharged Bimmers. I'm sure that they're a whole different ball of ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I've never sampled the newer, turbocharged Bimmers. I'm sure that they're a whole different ball of wax! So you found that the suspension on the 335 was actually firmer than the current model WRX? That's interesting.
    I looked at them a few years ago and ended up getting another STI. I drove a 335 and M3. With the altitude, the 335 felt as fast as the M3. In some ways it actually felt a little faster because of the surge of boost you got versus the linear power of the M3 V8. My problem was the price. The BMW obviously has a far nicer interior than any WRX or STI, and it's also a better looking car (yes it's subjective and the latest WRX and STI sedans are pretty good looking).

I'm really most interested in driving excitement and pure performance, and I came back to the more raw feel of an STI. Both BMWs were very composed and cornered extremely well, especially the M3. I definitely felt more isolated from the steering, brakes, and suspension however. If you're more interested in driving comfort and ease, then the BMW is definitely far superior. The 3 series has been the benchmark for small sedans for many years, especially in terms of being a driver's car. While still excellent, the latest generations (just like most cars in the world) are becoming more driver-isolated.

I'd definitely like to own a BMW some day soon, but I think I'll probably go back to an E39 M5 or something similar.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Aesthetics are really subjective. The current BMW corporate look, which to me, looks like a cat with its face being pulled back by the ears, doesn't really wow me. Not great for reliability, but I always liked the E39 M5. Subdued/refined looks, 400hp NA V8, true 6-speed manual, beautiful interior.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e39.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	110768
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 01-03-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Very nice Ray...I too have always loved those E39 M5s...that 400hp engine sounds incredible when you open it up with an exhaust on it. Sounds incredibly mean. I also love the M5 wheels from that generation. I just couldn't see getting one since I've heard nightmares on reliability issues with them. I couldn't afford repairs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Aesthetics are really subjective. The current BMW corporate look, which to me, looks like a cat with its face being pulled back by the ears, doesn't really wow me. Not great for reliability, but I always liked the E39 M5. Subdued/refined looks, 400hp NA V8, true 6-speed manual, beautiful interior.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e39.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	110768
    My friend's Dad had one of those new, after a string of new M3s. Kept them all for about a year. Apparently this M5 drank a liter of oil a month. I don't think he kept this one for a year as he missed the auto ability of the M3's SMG 'box. But, yes, it sounded wonderful.

Kudos for sharing your 2cents. I found it rather informative of what to expect out of a BMW 335i. Used to drive my friends m3 which was fairly fun

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    My friend's Dad had one of those new, after a string of new M3s. Kept them all for about a year. Apparently this M5 drank a liter of oil a month. I don't think he kept this one for a year as he missed the auto ability of the M3's SMG 'box. But, yes, it sounded wonderful.
    Yeah, I've been through stages where I've seriously looked at picking up a used M (3 or 5) a total of 3 times over the last 11 years, and I'd spend lots of time doing the research. To date, I've owned zero of them. They're perty, though, and are a cool blend of performance and luxury.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I liked the older BMW's styling more (like 80-90's), but these aren't bad. I was always surprised at the reliability issues that the high end bimmers and mercs had. I always thought that was part of what you were paying for...

My friend owns a tow truck company, he told me that BMWs and Mini Coopers paid for his house.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2007 BMW 335i vs. 2013 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesWBL View Post
    My friend owns a tow truck company, he told me that BMWs and Mini Coopers paid for his house.
    Does this mean BMW owners (generalized since then modern Mini is owned by BMW) have the propensity to park illegally? I'd imagine a wide variety of car owners were integral in raising the funds to purchase your friend's house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Does this mean BMW owners (generalized since then modern Mini is owned by BMW) have the propensity to park illegally? I'd imagine a wide variety of car owners were integral in raising the funds to purchase your friend's house.

He may have been talking about breakdowns.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Obviously he towed many other cars but he would always go on about how there where a disproportionate number of BMW, Audi, Mini, Volt, Prius and Smart Car for some sort of mechanical failure.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2007 BMW 335i vs. 2013 WRX

Ah silly me (heuristics ). When I hear "tow company" evidently I think of towing illegally parked cars!

2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks for the nice feedback, everyone.

The isolation mentioned by a few of you is exactly what made the 335i start to feel boring to me, despite its prodigious power. BMW puts some serious engineering muscle into reducing noise, vibration and harshness, but the cost of that is that an enthusiastic driver might not feel as connected to what's happening outside the glass. Of course, a great number of BMW drivers don't want to hear noises like turbo whistle -- they want to relax in a nice peaceful cabin and get around without lots of drama.

There's no doubt that the BMW is a superior highway cruiser. You can bomb along a highway with rock solid stability, in comfort and relatively quiet, and arrive quickly and relaxed, having not even needed to downshift to pass or ascend hills. But if you want to have fun zipping around town at 30mph, my experience was that you might be left feeling a little flat in the BMW.

As many Miata or Mini drivers will tell you, a car doesn't have to be fast to be fun. Of course, the WRX isn't by any means pokey. I just mean that you just can't tell how much you'll actually enjoy driving a car only by looking at its dyno chart.

After a couple more weeks in the car, one other comment that I'd add is that I've gotten more positive comments about my wrb WRX hatch from bystanders than I did in half a decade with the 335i coupe. Young guys who work at service stations particularly love it.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but it does feel pretty cool to have strangers compliment your ride!

My wife purchased a 2008 BMW 535 1.5 years ago. It was a two owner car and that was extremely well taken care of. The previous owner had recently put aftermarket wheels with new tires ( BFG KDW ). This car has the luxury package, sports package, and Nav.

Performance wise the 6 or 7 speed auto is pretty good, but no manual. The power is torque, and more torque. You never get the feel of the turbos because power is everywhere at any engine speed. The traction and stability control light flashs with any aggressive driving. Nice that it can be turned off. The interior is nice and good materials, but it is the same as almost any BMW built for the last 20 years.

The cost of out of pocket maintance is pretty high. I was in the auto repair industry so I have ways of testing parts at wholesale. $500 dollars for front pads and good rotors seems high, but the car stops well. The plugs don't really last 100k, BMW wants $30 each- Wholesale $10. BMW recommends 15K oil changes. I run 5K running the ony affordable approved oil Mobil One 0-40. Needed a battery $300 from a friend ( computers need to be reprogrammed ). It the dealer replaced it $600. We did get a recall. The dealer did several while there $4K worth of work.

I love the E39 M5 and the E90 M3 sedan. The M5 if you really drive it eats through clutches at $3K a pop, $1K brake rotors, $4K Vanos units, oil leaks. The 08-10 M3 CPO was slight more than my STI. Most were 20-30K. So free maintance and warranty would expire pretty quickly. These were $80K cars new. Read owner forums about maintance costs - you play you pay. I decided one BMW in the family is enough and ordered an STI.

The operational costs are reasonable on the Subaru and they pay for maintance for the first 2/24. It does not have M3/M5 appeal, but I also do not have to worry about seeing 100 of them on the drive around town. The AWD and the overall package appeals to me.

AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.