Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wasn't a race or racing, just had a newer or current gen Infiniti M37 in front of me today that ...

Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37?

Wasn't a race or racing, just had a newer or current gen Infiniti M37 in front of me today that was pushing the pace behind me in traffic. Anyway once we got through all the traffic ,he passed me very casually and then got over a lane and turned onto the following four lane parkway that was a block ahead. I got in the merge lane turning right going in the same direction, and as soon as it was clear I noticed the M37 floored it getting out onto the parkway. I could tell he had the hammer down, because all this water was spraying out of his exhausts like a fire hose. I actually had to have my wipers on behind him for a few seconds lol.

Anyway, again I wasn't trying to lure this guy into a race or competion, I'm so far beyond those days and too old for that. But what I like to do in a weird way is when I see a car that I might sort of like or am curious about it's general performance, if the guy in front guns it I like to drop a gear and try to see if my car is easily reeling it in or struggling to keep pace. In this case when I turned onto the parkway and the Infiniti guy punched it, I was coming off the turn in 2nd gear and just ran my WRX out through the top of 2nd & 3rd gear behind him, shifting right before 5K RPM. I was surprised as my car was kind of struggling to keep up with this Infiniti M37? I know that car has a stout 3.7L V6 and is probably making more than 300 hp?? but it is a porky sun of a gun compared to the WRX. In the WRX deffense I didn't really redline out in the 2nd and 3rd gears and backed off right around 60-65, the speed limit on the Parkway is 50 so I wasn't being wreckless.

Not that any of this matters or is worth a hill of beans to anyone, I just thought my '13 WRX should be able to hang with a pretty mundane mid-sized luxury car. I know I'm not that good of a driver with this car yet, and when I do take off I'm often doing it easy on the car & clutch as not to damage anything. But whats funny a few weeks ago I was at a light and a guy in a 2010+ Legacy 2.5, CVT model was next to me. I'm embarassed to say this but I was kind of "working it" just to keep pace with him. I have a 2011 Outback 2.5i, CVT and it is painfully slow and feels much slower than my WRX so I'm not sure why I was really having to work my car just to keep up in traffic with a 2.5i Legacy CVT?? I wasn't flooring it, but still felt like I shouldn't have to dig this deep into the boost to keep up with one of those. I'm 100% sure it was a 2.5i as there was no scoop like the WRX indicating it was the rare 2.5GT, nor did it have dual exhausts like the 3.6R.

My car is all stock BTW.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 12-17-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You would be surprised how fast a lot of cars can actually seem if they are full out hammering down on them and you are slightly holding back. Especially since we have turbo engines, that need to be pretty high up in the RPM range to get full power.

I just did a quick search on the M37 and they have 330hp, weigh 3858lbs. and trap around 100mph in the 1/4 mile which is right on par with a stock wrx.

I hate to say it but the wrx in stock trim is pretty slow from a rolling start and you'll be surprised by some of the cars that could hang with you or possible pull away if your already rolling.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    go stage 2 and dont worry
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    so I wasn't being wreckless.
    Wait...does that mean you crashed!?

I crack myself up.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    No stock WRX has ever been a "highway monster". The average V6 Accord or Camry will give you a serious run for your money (if not beat you) when it comes time to run down the exit ramp. No AWD penalty, and often a better torque curve.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

subarus are slow.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I don't believe the car is slow, because it is really not. Trust me slow is my '11 2.5 & CVT Outback lol. This WRX can scoot but its not as fast as I remember the ones I test drove on the lot, then again every new WRX I test drove had the dealer installed SPT exhuast, so I'm not sure if that adds much of a difference or not?

My cars sweet spot seems to be 3rd gear and about 3K RPM, the pull is pretty good there. 1st & 2nd gear I feel like I'm paying so much attention trying to shift & clutch smoothly that I just can't take off very quickly with any poise or precision lol. Mashing the throttle in 4th or 5th certainly never feels underpowered either when compared with most cars, but I get the feeling I'm not getting the full boost or perhaps the gearing is too tall? less so in 4th than 5th per obviously.

You guys are all right, this car is more of a canyon thrasher than a highway bomber or cruiser. Now that I'm past my break- in finally, I did a 65-70 drop from 5th gear to 4th gear pull on an open, sparsely populated section of highway and was kind of underwhelmed with the pull. It would in no way have any trouble passing traffic if you needed it to, but I didn't feel that kick in the pants dropping gear at highway speeds from 5th - 4th as I do in that sweet spot at 3rd gear and 3K rpm around say town or in the country.

Don't get me wrong I still love this car tons, and my main driving purpose for getting it was to drive canyon roads which are my favorite automotive enthusiast past time. Also I feel the car was best suited for that anyway going by my brief experimenting with the car since I've had it.

Other thing I've got to remember is today's average and middle of the road cars are pretty fast. Cars like the V6 Camry & Accord, even the V6 Rav-4 will embarrass enthusiast cars like say the Civic Si or possibly an Abarth Fiat 500. I wouldn't mind doing some stage 1, 2 mods to my car, but 1 I am in California, and almost nothing that increases engine performance is legal or will pass our ultra strict emissions laws. That means no downpipes, headers, I'm sure a tune takes the car out of emission specs too etc... plus I'm worried how much the factory components can handle on top of that. People here say the 5speed and clutch are made out of plastic and glass lol, and the EJ motors don't have the most reliable head gaskets either etc..
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 12-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    Current vehicles:

I wouldn't mind doing some stage 1, 2 mods to my car, but 1 I am in California, and almost nothing that increases engine performance is legal or will pass our ultra strict emissions laws. That means no downpipes, headers, I'm sure a tune takes the car out of emission specs too etc... plus I'm worried how much the factory components can handle on top of that. People here say the 5speed and clutch are made out of plastic and glass lol, and the EJ motors don't have the most reliable head gaskets either etc..
    lolwut?

Plenty of people have done Stage 1 and Stage 2 in Cali. Yes you are still technically breaking the law by altering any emissions equipment, but people do it, and get by with it. If emissions are a concern, then do a quick change back to stock when its time for inspections and testing. Can't tell you the last time a tune has ever taken a car out of emissions spec either...don't know where you got that one. Your car will handle Stage 1 and Stage 2 just fine. The tranny and clutch will only malfunction on you if you drive like an idiot with slamming gears and launching...but that obviously can happen if with any car, at any amount of power. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you...and where the heck did you hear about EJ motors having unreliable head gaskets?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Butt dyno is a tricky way to evaluate a car's performance. When I bought a stock 2002 wagon, in Jan. 2006, it felt earth-shatteringly fast to me...because I'd been driving a '98 Ford Ranger 4 banger for months. 3 months later, I was all about breaking my "no mods" vow to make it faster. It had become ordinary. Now 300ish awhp feels ordinary to me. But hopefully it's enough to pull around a V6 Altima when needed.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Butt dyno is a tricky way to evaluate a car's performance. When I bought a stock 2002 wagon, in Jan. 2006, it felt earth-shatteringly fast to me...because I'd been driving a '98 Ford Ranger 4 banger for months. 3 months later, I was all about breaking my "no mods" vow to make it faster. It had become ordinary. Now 300ish awhp feels ordinary to me. But hopefully it's enough to pull around a V6 Altima when needed.
    Yeah I remember when the bug eye came out, I actually test drove a new Protege5 the same day. The Subbie lot was also Mazda dealer so I got to try them both out. It was weird the Mazda Protege5 handled like it was on rails but the motor felt like it had a Briggs and Straton. When I jumped into the WRX wagon, I think they were around 220hp stock?? but it felt like a rocket, only the handling was no where near as crisp as the P5.

Fast forward about six years and I got a chance to drive a friends bug eye and thought damn I could have swore these were faster back when I drove a new one in 2002.
    Current vehicles:

Mazda Protege5 handled like it was on rails but the motor felt like it had a Briggs and Straton.
    hahahaha win!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

You guys are all right, this car is more of a canyon thrasher than a highway bomber or cruiser. Now that I'm past my break- in finally, I did a 65-70 drop from 5th gear to 4th gear pull on an open, sparsely populated section of highway and was kind of underwhelmed with the pull. It would in no way have any trouble passing traffic if you needed it to, but I didn't feel that kick in the pants dropping gear at highway speeds from 5th - 4th as I do in that sweet spot at 3rd gear and 3K rpm around say town or in the country.
    If I'm driving freeway speeds like that and want to downshift, I personally usually downshift to 3rd instead of 4th. I do this because there is much more power available in 3rd at that speed. I've also shifted into 2nd instead of 4th more than once, this seems all too easy to do to me.

we have turbo lag...they have instant torque. i still think my 350 was faster just because you dont need to wait for the turbo to spool to feel the car pull

Buy a tactrix cable and an etune from TP. Honestly the difference is worth the $260 and you can go back to your stock map in minutes if needed. If you need more after that, get a down pipe.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast