Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Pool Runner Before I got my '13 WRX I test drove two MKVI GTi's one DSG the ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Before I got my '13 WRX I test drove two MKVI GTi's one DSG the other 6MT. Eventhough the WRX has this annoying powerband the GTi just felt lifeless, albeit silky smooth. I told my wife as nice as the handling and interior are, along with the attention to detail, I think I would fall alseep driving that car. The only two cars that put a S@&%-eating grin on my face each time I drove them were the Mazdaspeed3 & WRX both were just raw.
    Yea , got bored real quick when I bought mind... first mods I did were torque mount and intake ..It got some life into it after that it really woke up with stage 2 (and supporting mods in sig) granted its not fast but its definitely a quick little car
    2012 Volkswagen 6spd man. GTI coupe BFI stage2 torque mount , H&R 24mm rear ARB, AFE STAGE 2 intake system, UR DP+ Magnaflow CBE, s3 shifter, neuspeed TOP and throttlebody pipe . UR mid-chassis brace. Unitronic Stage 2 software, Newsouth boostgauge

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    I wish I could put a blower on my 2011 2wd Ford F150 5.0L, I'm not even going to lie I told my wife the other day I swear my stock 5.0L F-150 is faster from say 0-60 than my bone stock '13 WRX, of course my WRX is more fun to drive. I think my truck could take my WRX on a freeway on-ramp, I wish I could list the cars I've caught "off-guard" on a merge or on-ramp sleeping.
    You need a down pipe and tune for your car. Make it run the way it's meant to. They are boring and slow with the stock tune.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    You need a down pipe and tune for your car. Make it run the way it's meant to. They are boring and slow with the stock tune.
    "Supposed to" is a highly subjective statement. One could argue that the WRX/STi is supposed to handle like an Evo X but it, well, doesn't.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

i hope you are 100% joking bout your f150 being faster lol. trucks tend to feel alot faster than they really are. had alot of people call out my truck cause they swear their truck is fast.epic fail for them. titan with long tube headers,jba catback, intake, throttle body coolant bypass/screen delete, tb spacer, iridium plugs, 91 tuned with traction cutoff delete, geared, detroit truetrac. moves pretty good for a truck with 35's haha.
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

One of the hardest things to get over since I got my STI (coming from a V6 Eclipse) is the lack of immediate power during a roll on. My 03 Eclipse was basically stock, but felt more powerful and a lot more responsive during regular driving unless I have the Subie above 3 grand. From the line the STI is very fast, and does accelerate pretty well on the freeway, but I definitely have to work the gear box a lot more and be aware of rpms if I want to be in the power band. Still getting used to that.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarex12 View Post
    i hope you are 100% joking bout your f150 being faster lol. trucks tend to feel alot faster than they really are. had alot of people call out my truck cause they swear their truck is fast.epic fail for them. titan with long tube headers,jba catback, intake, throttle body coolant bypass/screen delete, tb spacer, iridium plugs, 91 tuned with traction cutoff delete, geared, detroit truetrac. moves pretty good for a truck with 35's haha.
    No I'm not joking, it's got the new 5.0 from the '11+ Mustang GT, it's 360hp & 380ft/lbs with 3.55 gears and LSD, its also E85 capable which feels like it must be at least a 20hp bump when I run that stuff. Anyway It's also a 2wd on pizza cutter oem wheels and rubber so effectively the lightest version of the truck. I've driven a lot of trucks over the last 5-7 years and this new F-150 is faster than any other truck I've driven recently including the Hemi, 5.6 Titan, GMC 5.3 (never drove the 6.2) truthfully I think the Tundra 5.7 is slightly quicker but the 5.0 F-150 has a meaner sound to it. I also had a rental crew cab F-150 EcoBoost from Ford when my truck was in for a warranty repair, and even in crew cab, 4x4 trim with the super tall 3.31 rear-end it still felt slightly quicker than my 5.0l.

One of these days I'm going to get my wife to drive my truck, and I will line up to it in the WRX and see for sure. My truck is so fast feeling if I stomp on it getting onto the freeway, I hit the stupid 95 mph top speed limiter before I hit the freeway. Same thing happens when I pass a slow car at 68-70 on the freeway, hits the governor before the pass is completed.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    One of the hardest things to get over since I got my STI (coming from a V6 Eclipse) is the lack of immediate power during a roll on. My 03 Eclipse was basically stock, but felt more powerful and a lot more responsive during regular driving unless I have the Subie above 3 grand. From the line the STI is very fast, and does accelerate pretty well on the freeway, but I definitely have to work the gear box a lot more and be aware of rpms if I want to be in the power band. Still getting used to that.
    That's exactly how I feel about my WRX, in my truck you put your foot down and you are instantly gone because of the right now V8 torque. In my WRX if I'm rolling and like you say below 3k it feels like any other non- turbo EJ25 powered Subaru. Your right if you want to get off the line fast, you've got to do it from a dig and row through the gears assertively. What's kind of cool though about my WRX is that I've noticed it will pull most grades extremely well in 5th gear without needing to down- shift into 4th because engine is already turning at boost speeds 2800-3000 while going 70.
    Current vehicles:

I had an F-150 pull a bit on me in the Eclipse, which was right around 6 seconds 0-60. I was very surprised how fast that truck was from a stop. I'm not sure if he was using 4wd and we only ran from light to light maybe hitting about 60 or so. I doubt that it would've stayed with the STI though.
    In most of the vids I've seen, the WRX's or STI's pull initially on more powerful cars from the line but get caught as they hit the trap, unless it's pretty heavily modded.

I Support ClubWRX
    V8 trucks are definitely fun, and have that fast feeling, due to nice power delivery and no doubt the classic sound of the V8. That's a lot of weight to overcome, though...something like 5000 lbs? The sales manager where I work has an EcoBoost model, and you'd think it was a top fuel dragster by the way he talks about it. It does pull nicely, when I've been in it...but at the end of the day I think it traps somewhere in the mid-90's mph. It would be interesting to go head to head with him at the local strip.

That said, I know some folks are modding those engines with great results.

Not meant to be condescending: Didn't you guys that are surprised to have to downshift your WRX understand that turbo-4-bangers aren't torquey down low when you bought them? Do you not enjoy shifting the car? Choosing my gear correctly, matching revs and shifting, and hearing the engine light up are part of the fun for me. If I didn't enjoy that part, I'd just get an automatic and be done with it all.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Not meant to be condescending: Didn't you guys that are surprised to have to downshift your WRX understand that turbo-4-bangers aren't torquey down low when you bought them? Do you not enjoy shifting the car? Choosing my gear correctly, matching revs and shifting, and hearing the engine light up are part of the fun for me. If I didn't enjoy that part, I'd just get an automatic and be done with it all.
    I LOVE SHIFTING! That was part of the reason I chose the STI. I was stating that after having driven a V6 for the past 7 years with close to the same power, I am having to relearn how to make this one go fast when I need to. On the Eclipse I could stomp on the gas in second and chirp the tires. The NA cars and V powerplants definitely have a different feel and sound. The STI just doesn't relay the same feeling of torque or power. This is the first 4 cylinder car, first AWD, and first experience with the boxer layout and turbo. Quite a bit different from anything else I've driven. Maybe it's a little less visceral, since it just GOES without anything like wheel spin, torque steer, etc. I've owned a couple of V8 RWD cars as well, and this is just a very different animal. It's almost unassumingly fast, if that makes sense.
    I am spoiled on my motorcycle as well, since it is a 954cc with 160 whp, I have gotten used to not having to downshift when I need to go and this does not work so well in a track environment unless you like getting beat by 600cc bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    Still getting used to that.
    You said it all here. You're still new to it. You'll get it shortly.

And like Ray said, once you start hitting sweet spots and selecting gears and matching revs perfectly, that's when it will be the most fun and most rewarding.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You said it all here. You're still new to it. You'll get it shortly.

And like Ray said, once you start hitting sweet spots and selecting gears and matching revs perfectly, that's when it will be the most fun and most rewarding.
    Agreed. It is a fun car to drive and pretty challenging to drive fast. The most challenging thing so far has been the 6 speed. It's a good thing I like shifting, because you do have to do a lot of it in the city.

agreed on remembering we are driving a turbo 4 banger, thats the whole point of the turbo, to create power when needed. of course its gonna feel like a kia when your not in boost. my buddy has a eco boost and loves it but wont race my truck. tundras are completely over rated. factory hp an tq numbers dont mean crap. what alot of people dont know is titans have a gov. on the throttle. even if your foot is 100% wot the ecu holds the truck to 75% throttle until you hit 40 mph. its their secret way of traction assist.take that off and its a whole new ball game.i ran a 14.56 in my titan and it was the first time taking it to the track.that is with wheel spin and 35"mt's and 20" wheels. people were looking at me like wtf lol
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    tundras are completely over rated.
    Did you write this correctly?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

agreed on remembering we are driving a turbo 4 banger, thats the whole point of the turbo, to create power when needed. of course its gonna feel like a kia when your not in boost. my buddy has a eco boost and loves it but wont race my truck. tundras are completely over rated. factory hp an tq numbers dont mean crap. what alot of people dont know is titans have a gov. on the throttle. even if your foot is 100% wot the ecu holds the truck to 75% throttle until you hit 40 mph. its their secret way of traction assist.take that off and its a whole new ball game.i ran a 14.56 in my titan and it was the first time taking it to the track.that is with wheel spin and 35"mt's and 20" wheels. people were looking at me like wtf lol
    Yeah my old truck was an '08 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 long box, an otherwise POS but that's another story for a different day. Anyway a big complaint I had with it was the stupid torque management on the 4.0L V6. Hit the gas from a dead stop and like you say you only get 75% of the throttle until 3rd gear. Now at freeway speeds that 4.0L VQ would shine for a truck.

Im also very familiar with Titans, after bad luck with my Frontier I thought I would look at them. Almost got a red ProX4 Crew, Long bed. It was not slow at all, I just liked Fords new 5.0 V8 in the F-150 more. More power and 22 mpgs highway, no offense and I like Titans but the gas mileage was obscene. Heck my Frontier never got better than 16 ever.
    Current vehicles:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast