Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; my bro has a 11 ss2 6 speed with bolt ons and it doesnt feel much faster. we raced when ...

my bro has a 11 ss2 6 speed with bolt ons and it doesnt feel much faster. we raced when i had just intake and dp and he beat me by a couple cars. i didnt know how to launch yet, we half ass measured a 1/4 and i was trapping like 105 he was bout 110 give or take. i had a stage 3 cobalt ss/sc before the rex and it felt just as fast, till i raced a ss with similar mods as my old car and i crushed it... the stock power curve on the rex is terrible all of a sudden hits then falls on its face. however stage 2(soon to be 3) is a much more linear curve and pulls smooth
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37?

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarex12 View Post
    my bro has a 11 ss2 6 speed with bolt ons and it doesnt feel much faster. we raced when i had just intake and dp and he beat me by a couple cars. i didnt know how to launch yet, we half ass measured a 1/4 and i was trapping like 105 he was bout 110 give or take. i had a stage 3 cobalt ss/sc before the rex and it felt just as fast, till i raced a ss with similar mods as my old car and i crushed it... the stock power curve on the rex is terrible all of a sudden hits then falls on its face. however stage 2(soon to be 3) is a much more linear curve and pulls smooth
    +1 and not too shabby for hanging or beating a "sand bagged" z'ss by any 4-banger "charged" car...... +1 on stage2 comment :beer:
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 01-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Is your buddy's stang running stock and the stock rubber? 120mph trap speed seems a little high by 8 to 12mph.... IDK may be he is milday tuned, running on slicks and an excellent driver.....

Yea... My older gen 5.0 w/ a"super charger" did 12s while another 5.0 w/ 26lbs of "pro-charger" centrifugal sc did 11s at 120. Both of these cars were lighter than the current platform......

Point being the current 5.0s are quick but please post a mod list and a time slip... I have a coworker who owns a 12 5.0 w/ "bolt ons" and the time/trapspeed is a little out of bounds 4 this car....

But as you have stated earlier, a linear power delivery can be deceptive

Cheers :beer:
    I got him to text me a pic of his best pass in the fall. Car has full exhaust, Boss intake manifold, a few drive line and suspension mods, tune (Lund I believe), and a really light set of racing wheels with drag radials in the back, skinny's up front. He is an amazing driver also.

D/A was around 850 this day I believe.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I got him to text me a pic of his best pass in the fall. Car has full exhaust, Boss intake manifold, a few drive line and suspension mods, tune (Lund I believe), and a really light set of racing wheels with drag radials in the back, skinny's up front. He is an amazing driver also.

D/A was around 850 this day I believe.
    Nice and as I suspected he is set up for drag racing. Slicks on lightweight wheels, that's the way to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect that there are a wide variety of cars with peaky, louder engines, Mini Cooper S's, Hyundai Veloster Turbos, etc, that feel much quicker than a new Accord V6 on a freeway ramp...but just, well, aren't.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I suspect that there are a wide variety of cars with peaky, louder engines, Mini Cooper S's, Hyundai Veloster Turbos, etc, that feel much quicker than a new Accord V6 on a freeway ramp...but just, well, aren't.
    And to me, that's the important thing, the feel of the car. Sure a v6 honda might be quicker than my stock rex from a roll, but it sure as hell isn't going to put as many smiles on my face.

Same reason years ago I went with the RSX-S rather than one of its competitors. Those other cars were certainly faster on paper, but the RSX sure was fun to drive. That car also certainly fits Ray's description of a peaky and louder engine haha, but more than that was the chassis/suspension.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I like to hang out.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Nice and as I suspected he is set up for drag racing. Slicks on lightweight wheels, that's the way to go.
    Yep. The car has over 100 passes on it with a very hard launch and only had to replace the clutch so far.

I know of another guy that has a blower on a new 5.0 that dips into the 10's at 130-132 on pump gas. Car looks all stock, full weight, full interior. I've seen it hurt a few ego's.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Yep. The car has over 100 passes on it with a very hard launch and only had to replace the clutch so far.

I know of another guy that has a blower on a new 5.0 that dips into the 10's at 130-132 on pump gas. Car looks all stock, full weight, full interior. I've seen it hurt a few ego's.
    Lol.... That was and is the spirit of pony cars. BUT I like my 4dr and even a 5dr for that matter.... I think my v8 days are over with

What did you do to the rsx if you don't mind me asking....full bolt on K-pro?
    2012 Volkswagen 6spd man. GTI coupe BFI stage2 torque mount , H&R 24mm rear ARB, AFE STAGE 2 intake system, UR DP+ Magnaflow CBE, s3 shifter, neuspeed TOP and throttlebody pipe . UR mid-chassis brace. Unitronic Stage 2 software, Newsouth boostgauge

Quote Originally Posted by jcap287 View Post
    What did you do to the rsx if you don't mind me asking....full bolt on K-pro?
    Intake, race header, reflash. Kept the stock catback. Funny, I was just talking about this with my friend who has a GTI. The work I did to the rsx probably netted me like 40-50 bhp. I believe wtf tuning recently mentioned that a downpipe and good tune on one of these cars is good for 100 bhp. Gotta love turbo engines.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I believe wtf tuning recently mentioned that a downpipe and good tune on one of these cars is good for 100 bhp. Gotta love turbo engines.
    It was a shock for me when I briefly stepped into the Nissan N/A world, with my G35c. I made the decision early on that the hundreds to thousands of dollars to spend for a few paltry horsepower wasn't worth it.

And then I returned to the fold.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I wish I could put a blower on my 2011 2wd Ford F150 5.0L, I'm not even going to lie I told my wife the other day I swear my stock 5.0L F-150 is faster from say 0-60 than my bone stock '13 WRX, of course my WRX is more fun to drive. I think my truck could take my WRX on a freeway on-ramp, I wish I could list the cars I've caught "off-guard" on a merge or on-ramp sleeping.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    I agree with that part whole heartedily. Test drove a CTS-V Wagon today at the car show and punched at at a light and while it was fast looking at the speedo it didn't feel like I expected. My 1.8T GTI felt faster then my WRX. The low end torque in that car plus torque steer makes it feel fast. (It wasn't slow though...13.6@101 usually)
    Before I got my '13 WRX I test drove two MKVI GTi's one DSG the other 6MT. Eventhough the WRX has this annoying powerband the GTi just felt lifeless, albeit silky smooth. I told my wife as nice as the handling and interior are, along with the attention to detail, I think I would fall alseep driving that car. The only two cars that put a S@&%-eating grin on my face each time I drove them were the Mazdaspeed3 & WRX both were just raw.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Intake, race header, reflash. Kept the stock catback. Funny, I was just talking about this with my friend who has a GTI. The work I did to the rsx probably netted me like 40-50 bhp. I believe wtf tuning recently mentioned that a downpipe and good tune on one of these cars is good for 100 bhp. Gotta love turbo engines.
    Yea having a forced induction car from factory is definitely a benefit

I have a friend with a 2007 civic SI with those mods except with a catback haha
    2012 Volkswagen 6spd man. GTI coupe BFI stage2 torque mount , H&R 24mm rear ARB, AFE STAGE 2 intake system, UR DP+ Magnaflow CBE, s3 shifter, neuspeed TOP and throttlebody pipe . UR mid-chassis brace. Unitronic Stage 2 software, Newsouth boostgauge

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast