Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Why? They're very nice cars. An M37 is a nice combo of performance, style, and comfort, ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Why? They're very nice cars. An M37 is a nice combo of performance, style, and comfort, with a proven powertrain.
    It's okay to admit that other manufacturers also make worthy cars. No one will think less of you.

It's a hard truth that many WRX buyers have to eventually face; the supercar 0-60 that the magazines report for the WRX and STI is a bit misleading. The amount of power available for day-to-day acceleration is really nothing to write home about in this age of powerful sedans. It's why a number of us started modding in the first place.
    I was just referring to Accords and Camrys. Also...I was being a bit facetious. I'm sure they are nice everyday cars, just not performance oriented.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    People here say the 5speed and clutch are made out of plastic and glass lol, and the EJ motors don't have the most reliable head gaskets either etc..
    2009+ WRX got a beefed up transmission than can take some decent abuse. Since i got my 2009 i have not seen any trends of 2009+ WRXs breaking transmission, blowing gaskets or destroying clutches. I wouldn't listen to these people since from the looks of it they have no clue what they are talking about. Also please cite your sources for 2009+ EJ motors not having reliable head gaskets... that's another trend i have not observed on the forums and those things you list would be blowing up the forums if they were actually happening like like when the early 2009 WRXs had the engine knock problems back in the day.

As for out performing newer RWD performance cars always remember we have the advantage of early traction they have the advantage no AWD after shifting in to 2nd gear. We are good up to 60ish MPH after that just hope you put enough space between you and them so they don't catch you at the end of the 1/4.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbigcog View Post
    I was just referring to Accords and Camrys. Also...I was being a bit facetious. I'm sure they are nice everyday cars, just not performance oriented.
    The newer Accord V6's are trapping at 100-101 mph. That mommy on the way to her part-time job might surprise you going down the entrance ramp to the highway!

(also being a bit facetious. I dig the fact that Honda still offers a manual transmission with its V6 option, for good straight-line speed, but I'm not into FWD performance cars...)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    2009+ WRX got a beefed up transmission than can take some decent abuse. Since i got my 2009 i have not seen any trends of 2009+ WRXs breaking transmission, blowing gaskets or destroying clutches. I wouldn't listen to these people since from the looks of it they have no clue what they are talking about. Also please cite your sources for 2009+ EJ motors not having reliable head gaskets... that's another trend i have not observed on the forums and those things you list would be blowing up the forums if they were actually happening like like when the early 2009 WRXs had the engine knock problems back in the day.
    As for out performing newer RWD performance cars always remember we have the advantage of early traction they have the advantage no AWD after shifting in to 2nd gear. We are good up to 60ish MPH after that just hope you put enough space between you and them so they don't catch you at the end of the 1/4.
    Why do these cars have no top end anyway? was coming home from an event with my wife one time in the '13 on a empty highway. I dropped from 5th to 4th from a cruising speed of about 75-78 ish and put the hammer down. I fully expected to be doing about 120 like it was nothing, looked down and saw the car was barely doing a tick over 90. It was moving but there was almost no pull. I shut it down after that as I felt it wasn't impressing her anyway lol.

That said at any speed below 70 the car feels quick. I get it, the car has rally car heritage where most of the power is needed say below 80 mph and using the first 3 gears. It's just with all the scoops and aggressive aerodynamics this car looks like it should be able to do 200 mph.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post

The "beefed up gears" are simply the same as the older model Legacy transmissions, which were in fact, stronger than the previous gen WRXs of course.

Why do these cars have no top end anyway? was coming home from an event with my wife one time in the '13 on a empty highway. I dropped from 5th to 4th from a cruising speed of about 75-78 ish and put the hammer down. I fully expected to be doing about 120 like it was nothing, looked down and saw the car was barely doing a tick over 90. It was moving but there was almost no pull. I shut it down after that as I felt it wasn't impressing her anyway lol.

That said at any speed below 70 the car feels quick. I get it, the car has rally car heritage where most of the power is needed say below 80 mph and using the first 3 gears. It's just with all the scoops and aggressive aerodynamics this car looks like it should be able to do 200 mph.
    The turbos are relatively small, on top of tuned to have them taper off as you approach redline (most likely as a safety measure so you aren't full boosting around redline...a liability to the average driver). They just run out of breath. The WRX wasn't built to be an Autobahn cruiser or anything like that. They built it to have a useful powerband. How often are people cruising 90-100mph on a highway anyway? They have useable power for daily driving. On top of that...these cars are incredibly UN-aerodynamic. The drag created by the scoops, wings, airdams and so forth really kill the aerodynamics.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It's just not that type of car. The small turbo runs out of steam on top end plus the extra rotating mass from awd. My car is making a decent amount more power than a stock wrx but still does not shine on top end. My hp curve starts to drop after 5600rpms so I shift no higher than 6k to stay in peak torque range. My car traps 108-110 in the 1/4 so it's enough to hang with or pull a couple car lengths on the V8's when rolling.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I guess the "running out of breath" thing may have contributed to both of my turbo swaps. They fellow that built my engine warned me that my 18G will start to run out of steam after 7000rpms or so, so there's no point in a higher redline than that. Yeah, I guess that's okay.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

as fast as the new family sedans are getting i highly doubt ms daisy would pull u on a on ramp if you were actually in the throttle. my bro had a newer v6 maxima, a friend has a newer v6 camary. they def. dont give me any wow factor... i have test drove a g35,g37, and a is350, and ridden in the new ss camaros, and 350's, etc etc. nothing gives me a overall fun wow factor like my rex.granted im stage 2 so huge differance. the stock car is a bit flat but i remember the differance from stock to tp stage 1 was huge and such a cheap investment.
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarex12 View Post
    as fast as the new family sedans are getting i highly doubt ms daisy would pull u on a on ramp if you were actually in the throttle. my bro had a newer v6 maxima, a friend has a newer v6 camary. they def. dont give me any wow factor... i have test drove a g35,g37, and a is350, and ridden in the new ss camaros, and 350's, etc etc. nothing gives me a overall fun wow factor like my rex.granted im stage 2 so huge differance. the stock car is a bit flat but i remember the differance from stock to tp stage 1 was huge and such a cheap investment.
    That's because the power curve is nothing like our cars. The onset feeling of boost can really make something more fun to drive and feel much faster. My friends 5.0 Mustang that traps 120 in the 1/4 don't feel like it's that much faster than my car because of the linear power curve.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Re: Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    That's because the power curve is nothing like our cars. The onset feeling of boost can really make something more fun to drive and feel much faster. My friends 5.0 Mustang that traps 120 in the 1/4 don't feel like it's that much faster than my car because of the linear power curve.
    Is your buddy's stang running stock and the stock rubber? 120mph trap speed seems a little high by 8 to 12mph.... IDK may be he is milday tuned, running on slicks and an excellent driver.....

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Is your buddy's stang running stock and the stock rubber? 120mph trap speed seems a little high by 8 to 12mph.... IDK may be he is milday tuned, running on slicks and an excellent driver.....
    He never said stock, but full bolt on 5.0s are running mid 11s close to 120

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    hey! florida isnt that flat. we have many pot holes!!
    Highest point in FL is 333ft...I've seen the sign. lol

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    He never said stock, but full bolt on 5.0s are running mid 11s close to 120
    Yea... My older gen 5.0 w/ a"super charger" did 12s while another 5.0 w/ 26lbs of "pro-charger" centrifugal sc did 11s at 120. Both of these cars were lighter than the current platform......

Point being the current 5.0s are quick but please post a mod list and a time slip... I have a coworker who owns a 12 5.0 w/ "bolt ons" and the time/trapspeed is a little out of bounds 4 this car....

But as you have stated earlier, a linear power delivery can be deceptive

Cheers :beer:
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 01-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Yea... My older gen 5.0 w/ a"super charger" did 12s while another 5.0 w/ 26lbs of "pro-charger" centrifugal sc did 11s at 120. Both of these cars were lighter than the current platform......

Point being the current 5.0s are quick but please post a mod list and a time slip... I have a coworker who owns a 12 5.0 w/ "bolt ons" and the time/trapspeed is a little out of bounds 4 this car....

But as you have stated earlier, a linear power delivery can be deceptive

Cheers :beer:
    I agree with that part whole heartedily. Test drove a CTS-V Wagon today at the car show and punched at at a light and while it was fast looking at the speedo it didn't feel like I expected. My 1.8T GTI felt faster then my WRX. The low end torque in that car plus torque steer makes it feel fast. (It wasn't slow though...13.6@101 usually)

Quote Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
    I agree with that part whole heartedily. Test drove a CTS-V Wagon today at the car show and punched at at a light and while it was fast looking at the speedo it didn't feel like I expected. My 1.8T GTI felt faster then my WRX. The low end torque in that car plus torque steer makes it feel fast. (It wasn't slow though...13.6@101 usually)

Yeah, i hear you.... I had a gen5 GTI wth a tsi 2.0 that was traded 4 the wrx.... And i know what you mean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.