Subaru WRX Forum banner

Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37?

15K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  plasmarex12 
#1 · (Edited)
Wasn't a race or racing, just had a newer or current gen Infiniti M37 in front of me today that was pushing the pace behind me in traffic. Anyway once we got through all the traffic ,he passed me very casually and then got over a lane and turned onto the following four lane parkway that was a block ahead. I got in the merge lane turning right going in the same direction, and as soon as it was clear I noticed the M37 floored it getting out onto the parkway. I could tell he had the hammer down, because all this water was spraying out of his exhausts like a fire hose. I actually had to have my wipers on behind him for a few seconds lol.

Anyway, again I wasn't trying to lure this guy into a race or competion, I'm so far beyond those days and too old for that. But what I like to do in a weird way is when I see a car that I might sort of like or am curious about it's general performance, if the guy in front guns it I like to drop a gear and try to see if my car is easily reeling it in or struggling to keep pace. In this case when I turned onto the parkway and the Infiniti guy punched it, I was coming off the turn in 2nd gear and just ran my WRX out through the top of 2nd & 3rd gear behind him, shifting right before 5K RPM. I was surprised as my car was kind of struggling to keep up with this Infiniti M37? I know that car has a stout 3.7L V6 and is probably making more than 300 hp?? but it is a porky sun of a gun compared to the WRX. In the WRX deffense I didn't really redline out in the 2nd and 3rd gears and backed off right around 60-65, the speed limit on the Parkway is 50 so I wasn't being wreckless.

Not that any of this matters or is worth a hill of beans to anyone, I just thought my '13 WRX should be able to hang with a pretty mundane mid-sized luxury car. I know I'm not that good of a driver with this car yet, and when I do take off I'm often doing it easy on the car & clutch as not to damage anything. But whats funny a few weeks ago I was at a light and a guy in a 2010+ Legacy 2.5, CVT model was next to me. I'm embarassed to say this but I was kind of "working it" just to keep pace with him. I have a 2011 Outback 2.5i, CVT and it is painfully slow and feels much slower than my WRX so I'm not sure why I was really having to work my car just to keep up in traffic with a 2.5i Legacy CVT?? I wasn't flooring it, but still felt like I shouldn't have to dig this deep into the boost to keep up with one of those. I'm 100% sure it was a 2.5i as there was no scoop like the WRX indicating it was the rare 2.5GT, nor did it have dual exhausts like the 3.6R.

My car is all stock BTW.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just did a quick search on the M37 and they have 330hp, weigh 3858lbs. and trap around 100mph in the 1/4 mile which is right on par with a stock wrx.

I hate to say it but the wrx in stock trim is pretty slow from a rolling start and you'll be surprised by some of the cars that could hang with you or possible pull away if your already rolling.

#6 ·
No stock WRX has ever been a "highway monster". The average V6 Accord or Camry will give you a serious run for your money (if not beat you) when it comes time to run down the exit ramp. No AWD penalty, and often a better torque curve.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't believe the car is slow, because it is really not. Trust me slow is my '11 2.5 & CVT Outback lol. This WRX can scoot but its not as fast as I remember the ones I test drove on the lot, then again every new WRX I test drove had the dealer installed SPT exhuast, so I'm not sure if that adds much of a difference or not?

My cars sweet spot seems to be 3rd gear and about 3K RPM, the pull is pretty good there. 1st & 2nd gear I feel like I'm paying so much attention trying to shift & clutch smoothly that I just can't take off very quickly with any poise or precision lol. Mashing the throttle in 4th or 5th certainly never feels underpowered either when compared with most cars, but I get the feeling I'm not getting the full boost or perhaps the gearing is too tall? less so in 4th than 5th per obviously.

You guys are all right, this car is more of a canyon thrasher than a highway bomber or cruiser. Now that I'm past my break- in finally, I did a 65-70 drop from 5th gear to 4th gear pull on an open, sparsely populated section of highway and was kind of underwhelmed with the pull. It would in no way have any trouble passing traffic if you needed it to, but I didn't feel that kick in the pants dropping gear at highway speeds from 5th - 4th as I do in that sweet spot at 3rd gear and 3K rpm around say town or in the country.

Don't get me wrong I still love this car tons, and my main driving purpose for getting it was to drive canyon roads which are my favorite automotive enthusiast past time. Also I feel the car was best suited for that anyway going by my brief experimenting with the car since I've had it.

Other thing I've got to remember is today's average and middle of the road cars are pretty fast. Cars like the V6 Camry & Accord, even the V6 Rav-4 will embarrass enthusiast cars like say the Civic Si or possibly an Abarth Fiat 500. I wouldn't mind doing some stage 1, 2 mods to my car, but 1 I am in California, and almost nothing that increases engine performance is legal or will pass our ultra strict emissions laws. That means no downpipes, headers, I'm sure a tune takes the car out of emission specs too etc... plus I'm worried how much the factory components can handle on top of that. People here say the 5speed and clutch are made out of plastic and glass lol, and the EJ motors don't have the most reliable head gaskets either etc..

#9 ·
I wouldn't mind doing some stage 1, 2 mods to my car, but 1 I am in California, and almost nothing that increases engine performance is legal or will pass our ultra strict emissions laws. That means no downpipes, headers, I'm sure a tune takes the car out of emission specs too etc... plus I'm worried how much the factory components can handle on top of that. People here say the 5speed and clutch are made out of plastic and glass lol, and the EJ motors don't have the most reliable head gaskets either etc..
lolwut?

Plenty of people have done Stage 1 and Stage 2 in Cali. Yes you are still technically breaking the law by altering any emissions equipment, but people do it, and get by with it. If emissions are a concern, then do a quick change back to stock when its time for inspections and testing. Can't tell you the last time a tune has ever taken a car out of emissions spec either...don't know where you got that one. Your car will handle Stage 1 and Stage 2 just fine. The tranny and clutch will only malfunction on you if you drive like an idiot with slamming gears and launching...but that obviously can happen if with any car, at any amount of power. Take care of your car, and it will take care of you...and where the heck did you hear about EJ motors having unreliable head gaskets? :confused:

#10 ·
Butt dyno is a tricky way to evaluate a car's performance. When I bought a stock 2002 wagon, in Jan. 2006, it felt earth-shatteringly fast to me...because I'd been driving a '98 Ford Ranger 4 banger for months. 3 months later, I was all about breaking my "no mods" vow to make it faster. It had become ordinary. Now 300ish awhp feels ordinary to me. But hopefully it's enough to pull around a V6 Altima when needed. :rotfl:

#11 ·
Yeah I remember when the bug eye came out, I actually test drove a new Protege5 the same day. The Subbie lot was also Mazda dealer so I got to try them both out. It was weird the Mazda Protege5 handled like it was on rails but the motor felt like it had a Briggs and Straton. When I jumped into the WRX wagon, I think they were around 220hp stock?? but it felt like a rocket, only the handling was no where near as crisp as the P5.

Fast forward about six years and I got a chance to drive a friends bug eye and thought damn I could have swore these were faster back when I drove a new one in 2002.

#18 ·
I had a G35 before, and I have driven a 37. They dont feel like the pull as hard as the WRX when in boost. But the torque down low compared to the WRX is night and day obviously

If you have a good launch between the two, the WRX has the advantage but then the G37,M37 which ever will start to pull away slightly.

And coming from a G35 I feel the power is more than enough for now in the WRX that I dont even care to do a stage 1 tune. I will focus on Suspension and Brakes first.

#15 ·
Buy a tactrix cable and an etune from TP. Honestly the difference is worth the $260 and you can go back to your stock map in minutes if needed. If you need more after that, get a down pipe.

#16 ·
Honestly it sounds like much of the problem is how you are driving it. Shifting before 5k rpms and dropping into 4th gear at 65mph isn't going to make your car feel like a rocket.

If I'm trying to get after it in my car I'll shift around 6700 or so and I'd downshift to 3rd at 65mph.

#19 ·
My G35 had that "flat as Florida" torque curve that VQ engines are known for. It feels like nothing's happening, because you never get that spike that forced induction delivers...but then you look down and you're doing 80mph.

#27 ·
Why? They're very nice cars. An M37 is a nice combo of performance, style, and comfort, with a proven powertrain.
It's okay to admit that other manufacturers also make worthy cars. No one will think less of you. :wiggles:

It's a hard truth that many WRX buyers have to eventually face; the supercar 0-60 that the magazines report for the WRX and STI is a bit misleading. The amount of power available for day-to-day acceleration is really nothing to write home about in this age of powerful sedans. It's why a number of us started modding in the first place. :rotfl:

#26 ·
OP, from your description, you are chasing the M from a roll. Like everyone describes, WRX/STi are best from a dig. Rolling races, we are at a disadvantage. When I had my G37, I did not feel the pull I do from my STi, but I can tell the difference when driving on the freeway when looking at the speedo. I can hit 100+ in the G without feeling like the car is struggling. Not so much in the STi.

PS: Stock VQ 3.7L motors are typically trapping over 100mph stock and their torque curves are flatter in the 3.7 compared to the old 3.5L. Also, I believe their torque is flat from 2k-5k rpm and stills retains 85% of its torque at redline(7500 rpm). Hence their ability to continue to pull at high speeds.

#29 ·
I found this as well when my car was stock. I had to try and keep up pretty hard to stay with traffic sometimes... and it was all really due to the lack of torque at stock power levels. If I was hammering down I would of pulled away easily and looked like a d-bag doing it. Now that I went to Stage 1 I have a bit more torque and it is easier to keep up and pass traffic and the engine is not working as hard.

One thing to keep in mind too is that is is a different ball game with a turbo engine. You are only going to get boost the further into the throttle you are. You can slightly press the throttle in and rev up easily put you have no power and no boost.

I find that driving around now with STG1, if I want to get ahead of traffic from a stop I roll into first, give it about 5psi of boost and shift about 3500, then in 2nd I will go 3/4 throttle and boost for a sec then back off... boom I am doing speed limit - had some fun while doing it, and now I am out in front of traffic.

#37 ·
Yeah, I guess the "running out of breath" thing may have contributed to both of my turbo swaps. They fellow that built my engine warned me that my 18G will start to run out of steam after 7000rpms or so, so there's no point in a higher redline than that. Yeah, I guess that's okay. :tongue:

#38 ·
as fast as the new family sedans are getting i highly doubt ms daisy would pull u on a on ramp if you were actually in the throttle. my bro had a newer v6 maxima, a friend has a newer v6 camary. they def. dont give me any wow factor... i have test drove a g35,g37, and a is350, and ridden in the new ss camaros, and 350's, etc etc. nothing gives me a overall fun wow factor like my rex.granted im stage 2 so huge differance. the stock car is a bit flat but i remember the differance from stock to tp stage 1 was huge and such a cheap investment.

#39 ·
That's because the power curve is nothing like our cars. The onset feeling of boost can really make something more fun to drive and feel much faster. My friends 5.0 Mustang that traps 120 in the 1/4 don't feel like it's that much faster than my car because of the linear power curve.

#46 ·
my bro has a 11 ss2 6 speed with bolt ons and it doesnt feel much faster. we raced when i had just intake and dp and he beat me by a couple cars. i didnt know how to launch yet, we half ass measured a 1/4 and i was trapping like 105 he was bout 110 give or take. i had a stage 3 cobalt ss/sc before the rex and it felt just as fast, till i raced a ss with similar mods as my old car and i crushed it... the stock power curve on the rex is terrible all of a sudden hits then falls on its face. however stage 2(soon to be 3) is a much more linear curve and pulls smooth

#50 ·
I suspect that there are a wide variety of cars with peaky, louder engines, Mini Cooper S's, Hyundai Veloster Turbos, etc, that feel much quicker than a new Accord V6 on a freeway ramp...but just, well, aren't.

#51 ·
And to me, that's the important thing, the feel of the car. Sure a v6 honda might be quicker than my stock rex from a roll, but it sure as hell isn't going to put as many smiles on my face.

Same reason years ago I went with the RSX-S rather than one of its competitors. Those other cars were certainly faster on paper, but the RSX sure was fun to drive. That car also certainly fits Ray's description of a peaky and louder engine haha, but more than that was the chassis/suspension.

#55 ·
What did you do to the rsx if you don't mind me asking....full bolt on K-pro?

#56 ·
Intake, race header, reflash. Kept the stock catback. Funny, I was just talking about this with my friend who has a GTI. The work I did to the rsx probably netted me like 40-50 bhp. I believe wtf tuning recently mentioned that a downpipe and good tune on one of these cars is good for 100 bhp. Gotta love turbo engines.

#64 ·
i hope you are 100% joking bout your f150 being faster lol. trucks tend to feel alot faster than they really are. had alot of people call out my truck cause they swear their truck is fast.epic fail for them. titan with long tube headers,jba catback, intake, throttle body coolant bypass/screen delete, tb spacer, iridium plugs, 91 tuned with traction cutoff delete, geared, detroit truetrac. moves pretty good for a truck with 35's haha.

#66 ·
No I'm not joking, it's got the new 5.0 from the '11+ Mustang GT, it's 360hp & 380ft/lbs with 3.55 gears and LSD, its also E85 capable which feels like it must be at least a 20hp bump when I run that stuff. Anyway It's also a 2wd on pizza cutter oem wheels and rubber so effectively the lightest version of the truck. I've driven a lot of trucks over the last 5-7 years and this new F-150 is faster than any other truck I've driven recently including the Hemi, 5.6 Titan, GMC 5.3 (never drove the 6.2) truthfully I think the Tundra 5.7 is slightly quicker but the 5.0 F-150 has a meaner sound to it. I also had a rental crew cab F-150 EcoBoost from Ford when my truck was in for a warranty repair, and even in crew cab, 4x4 trim with the super tall 3.31 rear-end it still felt slightly quicker than my 5.0l.

One of these days I'm going to get my wife to drive my truck, and I will line up to it in the WRX and see for sure. My truck is so fast feeling if I stomp on it getting onto the freeway, I hit the stupid 95 mph top speed limiter before I hit the freeway. Same thing happens when I pass a slow car at 68-70 on the freeway, hits the governor before the pass is completed.

#65 ·
One of the hardest things to get over since I got my STI (coming from a V6 Eclipse) is the lack of immediate power during a roll on. My 03 Eclipse was basically stock, but felt more powerful and a lot more responsive during regular driving unless I have the Subie above 3 grand. From the line the STI is very fast, and does accelerate pretty well on the freeway, but I definitely have to work the gear box a lot more and be aware of rpms if I want to be in the power band. Still getting used to that.

#67 ·
That's exactly how I feel about my WRX, in my truck you put your foot down and you are instantly gone because of the right now V8 torque. In my WRX if I'm rolling and like you say below 3k it feels like any other non- turbo EJ25 powered Subaru. Your right if you want to get off the line fast, you've got to do it from a dig and row through the gears assertively. What's kind of cool though about my WRX is that I've noticed it will pull most grades extremely well in 5th gear without needing to down- shift into 4th because engine is already turning at boost speeds 2800-3000 while going 70.

#68 ·
I had an F-150 pull a bit on me in the Eclipse, which was right around 6 seconds 0-60. I was very surprised how fast that truck was from a stop. I'm not sure if he was using 4wd and we only ran from light to light maybe hitting about 60 or so. I doubt that it would've stayed with the STI though.
In most of the vids I've seen, the WRX's or STI's pull initially on more powerful cars from the line but get caught as they hit the trap, unless it's pretty heavily modded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.