Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Should a '13 WRX be able to hang with an '11 or '12 Infiniti M37? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Honestly it sounds like much of the problem is how you are driving it. Shifting before 5k rpms and dropping ...

Honestly it sounds like much of the problem is how you are driving it. Shifting before 5k rpms and dropping into 4th gear at 65mph isn't going to make your car feel like a rocket.

If I'm trying to get after it in my car I'll shift around 6700 or so and I'd downshift to 3rd at 65mph.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Honestly it sounds like much of the problem is how you are driving it. Shifting before 5k rpms and dropping into 4th gear at 65mph isn't going to make your car feel like a rocket.

If I'm trying to get after it in my car I'll shift around 6700 or so and I'd downshift to 3rd at 65mph.
    You'll benefit more from shifting at 6,000 with a VF52 turbo.

This is the wrx you need for a highway monster
    http://youtu.be/o4a79Pvm59A
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    we have turbo lag...they have instant torque. i still think my 350 was faster just because you dont need to wait for the turbo to spool to feel the car pull
    I had a G35 before, and I have driven a 37. They dont feel like the pull as hard as the WRX when in boost. But the torque down low compared to the WRX is night and day obviously

If you have a good launch between the two, the WRX has the advantage but then the G37,M37 which ever will start to pull away slightly.

And coming from a G35 I feel the power is more than enough for now in the WRX that I dont even care to do a stage 1 tune. I will focus on Suspension and Brakes first.
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

I Support ClubWRX
    My G35 had that "flat as Florida" torque curve that VQ engines are known for. It feels like nothing's happening, because you never get that spike that forced induction delivers...but then you look down and you're doing 80mph.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    "flat as Florida"
    hey! florida isnt that flat. we have many pot holes!!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    I stand corrected.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

No stock WRX has ever been a "highway monster". The average V6 Accord or Camry will give you a serious run for your money (if not beat you) when it comes time to run down the exit ramp. No AWD penalty, and often a better torque curve.
    What I don't get, is that if you look at 0-60 times, these cars aren't that close. Is there something I'm missing here? I usually think these guys are "not worthy".
    Last edited by cjbigcog; 12-21-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbigcog View Post

What I don't get, is that if you look at 0-60 times, these cars aren't that close. Is there something I'm missing here? I usally think these guys are "not worthy".
    0-60 has a lot to do with how well you hook up from a stop. In that case, our cars are very quick because you can, at the expense of transmission parts, put the power down very effectively from the get-go. So in essence, we can have great 0-60 numbers compared to other cars because we lose less time to traction issues, not so much because we have so much more power. In fact, look at the power comparison of a WRX versus a current V6 Camry. The Camry actually has a few more hp and torque, and not much more weight.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

What I don't get, is that if you look at 0-60 times, these cars aren't that close. Is there something I'm missing here? I usally think these guys are "not worthy".
    The only reason the wrx has such a good 0-60 is mainly the launch and gearing. After that point a stock wrx is at a disadvantage due to awd and a somewhat small turbo that lacks top end. Look up 1/4 mile trap speeds for different cars. That will give you a better idea how your car will compare to another once your rolling 50-60mph.

Just for a rough comparison the 2004 Mustang Cobra has a 0-60 time right on par with a stock wrx but is capable of trapping over 110mph in the 1/4 mile which is a good 10mph faster than a stock wrx. So on paper a wrx should be a good run with it (judging by the 0-60) but if you run into a Cobra on the street you'll quickly find out that's not the case unless it's raining or snowing..
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Time to start thinking about a tune? I spit on those cars!

OP, from your description, you are chasing the M from a roll. Like everyone describes, WRX/STi are best from a dig. Rolling races, we are at a disadvantage. When I had my G37, I did not feel the pull I do from my STi, but I can tell the difference when driving on the freeway when looking at the speedo. I can hit 100+ in the G without feeling like the car is struggling. Not so much in the STi.

PS: Stock VQ 3.7L motors are typically trapping over 100mph stock and their torque curves are flatter in the 3.7 compared to the old 3.5L. Also, I believe their torque is flat from 2k-5k rpm and stills retains 85% of its torque at redline(7500 rpm). Hence their ability to continue to pull at high speeds.
    Current- 11 WRX STi Hatchback
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

I Support ClubWRX
    Time to start thinking about a tune? I spit on those cars!
    Why? They're very nice cars. An M37 is a nice combo of performance, style, and comfort, with a proven powertrain.
    It's okay to admit that other manufacturers also make worthy cars. No one will think less of you.

It's a hard truth that many WRX buyers have to eventually face; the supercar 0-60 that the magazines report for the WRX and STI is a bit misleading. The amount of power available for day-to-day acceleration is really nothing to write home about in this age of powerful sedans. It's why a number of us started modding in the first place.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Why? They're very nice cars. An M37 is a nice combo of performance, style, and comfort, with a proven powertrain.
    It's okay to admit that other manufacturers also make worthy cars. No one will think less of you.

It's a hard truth that many WRX buyers have to eventually face; the supercar 0-60 that the magazines report for the WRX and STI is a bit misleading. The amount of power available for day-to-day acceleration is really nothing to write home about in this age of powerful sedans. It's why a number of us started modding in the first place.
    This can't be more true. I saw a G37 sedan doing 14.2 and 14.3 secs. (1/4 mile) consistently on a hot summer day at the drag strip while I managed only 14.9 on my stage 1 08 WRX (my first day ever at a drag strip). This was one of the reasons why I upgraded to TP stage 2.52. As other people already mentioned, it is easier to start fast from a standstill in an auto-trans car. Even at stage 2.52 I would not underestimate nor give any advantage to one of the newer high powered aforementioned sedans.

I found this as well when my car was stock. I had to try and keep up pretty hard to stay with traffic sometimes... and it was all really due to the lack of torque at stock power levels. If I was hammering down I would of pulled away easily and looked like a d-bag doing it. Now that I went to Stage 1 I have a bit more torque and it is easier to keep up and pass traffic and the engine is not working as hard.

One thing to keep in mind too is that is is a different ball game with a turbo engine. You are only going to get boost the further into the throttle you are. You can slightly press the throttle in and rev up easily put you have no power and no boost.

I find that driving around now with STG1, if I want to get ahead of traffic from a stop I roll into first, give it about 5psi of boost and shift about 3500, then in 2nd I will go 3/4 throttle and boost for a sec then back off... boom I am doing speed limit - had some fun while doing it, and now I am out in front of traffic.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandisher View Post
    OP, from your description, you are chasing the M from a roll. Like everyone describes, WRX/STi are best from a dig. Rolling races, we are at a disadvantage. When I had my G37, I did not feel the pull I do from my STi, but I can tell the difference when driving on the freeway when looking at the speedo. I can hit 100+ in the G without feeling like the car is struggling. Not so much in the STi.

PS: Stock VQ 3.7L motors are typically trapping over 100mph stock and their torque curves are flatter in the 3.7 compared to the old 3.5L. Also, I believe their torque is flat from 2k-5k rpm and stills retains 85% of its torque at redline(7500 rpm). Hence their ability to continue to pull at high speeds.
    Your STI feels like it is struggling at 100?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.