LS1 Camro vs. WRX/LGT

This is a discussion on LS1 Camro vs. WRX/LGT within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Been looking at both back and forth for while, and will be purchasing in April when I come back from ...

LS1 Camaro vs. WRX/LGT

Been looking at both back and forth for while, and will be purchasing in April when I come back from overseas. My goal is a 300 ft. lb daily driver, with middle to high 20's mpg on the highway, staying under $12K for car and mods. Only racing would be if I found a very beginner autocross, and maybe a drag racing pass or two after the mods and tune were complete. I have liked the Subie sound since I first heard a B4 with exhaust. Mods for the Camaro would be exhaust, LS6 intake, and maybe play with a small shot of spray. Mods for the WRX I am still a little vague on, but I know that Tactrix and an Aquamist kit with Spec C tank would be two of them. Both seem to be about the same price in my area, so it's kind of a tossup as to which has more parts. I have been looking at basic mods, and things to check for, but I must say that I light years ahead in knowing what do to with an LS1. Anyway, I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the two choices.
    Last edited by ocshaman; 11-04-2012 at 04:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My thoughts:

2 very different cars, and both are fun but in different ways. If I were you I would probably come back and be looking for both, and buying whichever I find an unmolested example of that looks like it was well taken care of. You're in Texas, so the awd vs rwd is not a big issue for you, and both cars can be a lot of fun, so you might as well buy the best car you can find. Having two different types of cars to look for can only increase your chances of that.

Out of curiosity, why a meth kit for the wrx? That's not generally a mod that people look to do in the beginning.

Just an fyi, any wrx is going to be more fickle about what you bolt on than a camaro. Most bolt-ons with the wrx require a tune, depending on the year of the car. Something like a meth kit you will need to get a protune done with a reputable subaru tuner.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I already have a meth kit. No reason to leave it out if it will help the car. I have no problem getting the car protuned after the mods are finished. The kit can stay off or running low flow or just water until the failsafe is hooked up.

They are both very different, but both have different advantages. I have driven the LS1 a few times, but haven't gotten a ride in a WRX yet. Started looking at them seriously after I came back from Texas.

I've owned both, and personal like my camaro ALOT more. It's bigger, less nimble, but looks way better and sounds like it's raising hell at 50% throttle. The ls1 from 00-02 came with ls6 intake manifold, clutch, and better exhaust manifolds producing 305-310 Rwhp stock to the filter, and over 325rwtq stock. So your already at your goal in stock form. My ws6 made 436rwhp with just an exhaust, lid, cam and aggressive tune. Both were around 10k, the camaro is just a z28 so cost less than an SS, but it's a dead even in acceleration. I got 28mpg last road trip with my 436 hp car and that was getting on it a few times, so they get good mpgs. I get over 30hw in the camaro if left in 6th @ 1500 rpm.

The wrx.. Well to start off I had an 05 sti before my 02 wrx. I wrecked the sti(was cut off while speeding, yes I know my fault), so I wanted another Subaru as I only had it about a month. Bought an 02 wrx for 6000 and dumped way to much money into it, turbo swap ect.. And it's still didnt even come close to my ws6 with only $1500 in mods and tuning. Plus when parts went out, they were hard to replace and expensive. The good side is the braking, steering and sturdy feel the car had in twisty roads and on the highway, and it was a very fun car to drive. Given the choice I would take another 04-05 Sti over my camaro, but not a wrx. It's apples n oranges, but if you want a car that is more unique and more of a challenge to make fast get the wrx. I learned ALOT from it. If you just wanna go fast tho, the ls1 is hard to beat. People have put the car as low as mid 12s stock on a pair of MTs@ 106-107mph. All food for thought, any other questions feel free to ask
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I currently own one of each. I have a 99 TA and 2012 wrx which are both truly fantastic and unique cars. If you want to go really fast for really cheap then get a f-body camaro/trans am. If you want to have fun and zip around corners in all weather conditions then get the wrx. Or you could be like me and get both
    One thing to mention for the f-body is that if you're going to be putting sticky tires on or drag racing then be prepared to spend at least another 2k on a rear end. Although, if you drag race on street tires then you still might be ok for a while....So....get both cars. DO IT!

I Support ClubWRX

LS1 Camro vs. WRX/LGT

Muscle car versus Swiss Army knife. You need to drive both to see how much they are different.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I know it’s kinda like watching the Cosworth and Supra in Getaway in Stockholm 2. But both offer things that the others don’t. The way I see it now.

WRX
    Sounds like a pissed off alligator when revving. To me, it beats everything with less than 12 cylinders but a fox-body mustang
    Tuning for the cost of a cable. Buy a Vag-com cable, or a Tactrix and done. I have been reading about tuning, in general, and for the EVOs, for a DSM ECU swap, and the
    20 something page PDF I found at Nabisco. F-body will cost $500 up for the hptuners or EFILive
    4 doors. It may not be as cool as a coupe, but living in Japan has taught me that 5 foot doors do nothing but make getting my fat butt out of the car harder. I had a Grand Prix GTP coupe that was ridiculous.
    “Sports” Car. Bred for rally. I know that it isn’t a rally car, but the feel and look say bring on the rough stuff.

LS1
    6-speed
    Power goal is met without trying, but I think that some work would bring the MPG up a bit
    Amazing MPG for a 350 CI V-8.
    Everyone and their dog has worked on one, and can get you parts, and tunes them.

CJM, I have been searching in the 00-up arena, but the 98-99 are much cheaper, and I don’t think the LS6 is necessary for my goal. I am very good at setting goals when it comes to vehicles. I have parts goals for a Volvo 850, VW TDI, SRT-4, LS1, MS3, Mini, SS/TC and the WRX, but most of the others were booted off the list for one reason or another, HPFP problems, no spare tire, no cruise control, Accessport, etc.

SpeedsterX, one of the F-bodies I have been watching has a 12-bolt and 408 for $11K, but I don’t plan on racing much. T56 plus 10-bolt is the main reason the mod list is short. My death wish is a turbo bike, liter or busa with a RCC turbo kit with Aquamist race pump style meth kit, or E85 if it’s local.

Did you ever decide which car that you are going to get?

No, not yet. Won't make the decision until it's time to actually buy a car unless there is some big dark secret I haven't learned about Subies yet.