09 wrx or 06 Mustang gt - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 09 wrx or 06 Mustang gt within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just to clarify, I was on the interstate with nobody around for at least 150 yds. Trying to keep it ...

Just to clarify, I was on the interstate with nobody around for at least 150 yds. Trying to keep it safe even if it's on the street. I'm not a street racer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe I'm coming in late here but this thread enticed me seeing as though I've owned two Mustangs and my dad currently owns a 2007 Mustang GT.

So my first was a 1988 GT, second a 2001 3.8l that I just sold a month ago for my current ride (2006 WRX if my SN didn't give it away) Night and day difference going from either of those cars to my WRX. I realize that has nothing to do with this thread but that's my back story.

Drove my dad to the airport the other day in his 07 GT and then to get brake pads put on it. Given that the GT is an automatic and my WRX is manual, I know that there are differences BUT: the Mustang felt sluggish on the pedal, the brakes felt like sponges (come to find out the pads had 50% left in them, so I wouldn't attribute it to that), and the seat, shifter, steering wheel arrangement isn't to my liking anymore whatsoever. It also puzzles me how the 06 WRX has 70(factory listed)horsepower less than the Mustang and is only 400lbs lighter yet the WRX is slightly slower in the 0-60 and equal in the 1/4 mile. I'm no car genius but these are just my observations. I could never make myself go back to the Mustang after owning my WRX. Handling, quickness, and comfort all seem miles ahead in the Subie.

I can't speak for the year model WRX originally asked about but surely the WRX has been improved since 06.
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Obsidian Black Pearl
    CAI, Invidia Turboback, Cobb Accessport, Dipped OEM wheels, Rally Armor mud flaps, chin spoiler, HID headlights, and various other things.

Love that boxer sound

I Support ClubWRX
    It's tricky to compare the quarter mile ET's of 2-wheel-drive and AWD cars. When a magazine tests a WRX, the driver usually launches the car hard so that he can take advantage of how quickly the car will get out of the hole. This gives the Subie a deceptively good time, when compared to a RWD car like the Mustang. It's the same thing for the 0-60 time.

Take away the AWD advantage (in others words, if the cars are already moving), and most WRX's become more of a 15 second car. You can see the difference in the quarter mile trap speed...the WRX has usually been more of a mid to high 90's mph car, while I think the '07 GT would trap over a hundred.

IBfanbois, denial, and "IpassedaShelbyMustangonthehighwayIthinkheknewthat wewereracing" episodes
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's tricky to compare the quarter mile ET's of 2-wheel-drive and AWD cars. When a magazine tests a WRX, the driver usually launches the car hard so that he can take advantage of how quickly the car will get out of the hole. This gives the Subie a deceptively good time, when compared to a RWD car like the Mustang. It's the same thing for the 0-60 time.

Take away the AWD advantage (in others words, if the cars are already moving), and most WRX's become more of a 15 second car. You can see the difference in the quarter mile trap speed...the WRX has usually been more of a mid to high 90's mph car, while I think the '07 GT would trap over a hundred.

IBfanbois, denial, and "IpassedaShelbyMustangonthehighwayIthinkheknewthat wewereracing" episodes
    Yep, the 300-315hp 4.6L Mustangs were typically trapping about 104mph. Of course, this is with the Manual transmission. Even the 305hp STi doesn't trap 104mph stock (about 100-102), so you can see the advantage of 2WD and a much meatier torque curve. That being said, the older gen mustangs are deceptively quick and quite heavy. Even stock, my bugeye felt faster than my dad's 4.6L Mustang (though it wasn't). Trapping about 112mph, the new Mustang GT is clearly much faster.

Also, in other news, is this thread still going on?!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Also, in other news, is this thread still going on?!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

WWR_HD?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

speaking of gt mustangs, i ran one on one of the local freeways out here about a week ago, i believe it was a 2012, sounded nice and everything but he was basically in my rear view mirror the whole time...lol

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by pulledpork420 View Post
    speaking of gt mustangs, i ran one on one of the local freeways out here about a week ago, i believe it was a 2012, sounded nice and everything but he was basically in my rear view mirror the whole time...lol
    You're right. Your OTS stage 2 AWD 2006 WRX (~215whp) outran a 2012 5.0L 2WD Mustang putting down ~ 380whp FROM A ROLL.

Facebook me here

You're right. Your OTS stage 2 AWD 2006 WRX (~215whp) outran a 2012 5.0L 2WD Mustang putting down ~ 380whp FROM A ROLL.
    yeah sounds unbelieveable but it happened. im sure there were factors that played into me passing him up like that...trust me im not one to boast and brag im just ranting in my account of what happened

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by pulledpork420 View Post
    yeah sounds unbelieveable but it happened. im sure there were factors that played into me passing him up like that...trust me im not one to boast and brag im just ranting in my account of what happened
    I'm saying he probably didn't hit the accelerator

Facebook me here

Thumbs up

Lol

And I got passed by a stop sign the other day when I just HAD to back up... Though I didn't see my fuel gauge go up any at all...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm thinking that's the main factor in the "I just pwned a V8!!1!!" stories we hear.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Cripe I launch like an old man and still have never trapped below 100MPH. 10 passes at Norwalk have been 100.3(lowest)to 101.8(highest)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.