Tune a WRX to meet/exceed STi?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tune a WRX to meet/exceed STi? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I should get this out of the way first, I don't own a WRX, but I want one as my ...

I should get this out of the way first, I don't own a WRX, but I want one as my next car. (right now I drive a v6 altima :\ wooooo) I am not made of money, so I had a simple and I am sure noob/overly asked question. The WRX and the STi use the same displacement motor, STi stopped using forged pistons around 05ish? Is the WRX a tune away from STi numbers? Or does the STi have a bigger turbo? Basically if I could save $20K and grab a used WRX then tune it to high heaven would that be an optimal choice to getting an STi and having less to spend on parts? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Power-wise only... The '09+ wrx can be at sti power with a tune. But there are major differences beyond power that make the sti a better car.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Power-wise only... The '09+ wrx can be at sti power with a tune. But there are major differences beyond power that make the sti a better car.
    I assume suspension and weight reductions right? Are the gear ratios different?

Quote Originally Posted by timma100 View Post
    I assume suspension and weight reductions right? Are the gear ratios different?
    Being a 6 speed vs. a 5 speed yes the gear ratios are different. Suspension, brakes, and transmission are all much better on the sti. The sti is actually slightly heavier I believe.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Being a 6 speed vs. a 5 speed yes the gear ratios are different. Suspension, brakes, and transmission are all much better on the sti. The sti is actually slightly heavier I believe.
    Oh I didn't know the WRX was a 5 speed, I wonder when 6th is (MPH wise) I know my car is nothing in comparison but for reason 5th gear is at 100mph in a grocery getter.. Do you know why STi stopped using forged pistons? I'll try to find a video but an engine rebuild shop was showing the 20+ STi motors (05 and up) with cracked pistons..

I Support ClubWRX

Hypereteutic pistons were adopted for reduced environmental impact.

Subaru can make cars that perform like the STi better and cheaper than end users. I'd buy the car I wanted initially rather than spending more time, effort, and money making one after the fact.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Hypereteutic pistons were adopted for reduced environmental impact.

Subaru can make cars that perform like the STi better and cheaper than end users. I'd buy the car I wanted initially rather than spending more time, effort, and money making one after the fact.
    That's very true, it makes me sad that the pistons are no longer forged.... But I guess if your tuning enough to break them you should swap anyway.. Do you know what year they changed it? (05 was a guess) Might shoot of a old model and get forged pistons and save money

I Support ClubWRX

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465249

Hepereutectic and forged are not mutually exclusive I don't think. In any case none of this is an issue at this point.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

This is an age old, or decade old if you want to be a stickler, debate.

Bottom line, you can get to STI power relatively easily, but when you consider all the other things that make a STI a STI...you should just buy a STI from the get go. The suspension and transmission are totally different.

So the question becomes, what is it about the STI that you want?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

If I could afford an STI I would of bought one. Don't get me wrong, I love my WRX. I bought the WRX because I couldn't afford an STI brand new. There's pros and cons to both routes. Both are great cars for their respective prices. So either way you'll make a good decision.

I've had an 04 wrx and an 07 wrx. Both put down more hp than a stock sti. Now I have a bone stock 2011 sti and neither of my wrx's compare to the sti. Everything feels right.

It's really hard to add a 6th gear and Brembo's with a tune.

Quote Originally Posted by timma100 View Post
    I should get this out of the way first, I don't own a WRX, but I want one as my next car. (right now I drive a v6 altima :\ wooooo) I am not made of money, so I had a simple and I am sure noob/overly asked question. The WRX and the STi use the same displacement motor, STi stopped using forged pistons around 05ish? Is the WRX a tune away from STi numbers? Or does the STi have a bigger turbo? Basically if I could save $20K and grab a used WRX then tune it to high heaven would that be an optimal choice to getting an STi and having less to spend on parts? Thanks
    Go here to find the differences between the WRX and the STi according to Subaru:

Subaru Impreza WRX | Impreza WRX Compare Tool

Chris

See, for me the WRX is the perfect fit. Sure an STI puts down more power and gives the driver more control over the AWD system. If you are going to really use it, then thats a plus.

I traded a lightly modded S2000 for my WRX. I wanted to stay near the same power, but really like the AWD. I'm still breaking it in, but the torque is one of my favorite things about the WRX. Even running it easy, i am very satisfied with it's performance.

Insurance is also a factor. My insurance went up only $174 a year, the STI would have been 3x that.

I could have had the STI, but I know that I will never use that much car to it's potential. I did get mine with the short shifter and boost gauge. Two must have options in my opinion.

Just my random thoughts from a new owner, take care.

Quote Originally Posted by subaken View Post
    If I could afford an STI I would of bought one. Don't get me wrong, I love my WRX. I bought the WRX because I couldn't afford an STI brand new. There's pros and cons to both routes. Both are great cars for their respective prices. So either way you'll make a good decision.
    I was in the same boat. I probably could have bought a new STi but I wouldn't have been able to buy a single thing for it. The base wrx was cheap enough to allow me buy some parts, tune, window tint, short throw, mud flaps, wheels, etc..
    Yes, I would still like an STi but I do not regret my decision even after driving a stock 2011 STi.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast