2013Focus ST vs 2013 WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013Focus ST vs 2013 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I took the ST for a test drive today and I have to say, this is a really good car. ...

2013Focus ST vs 2013 WRX

I took the ST for a test drive today and I have to say, this is a really good car. It may not be quite as fast as a WRX but you really get a lot of car for the price (although not as much as it first appears since nobody should buy the base package).

My initial impresions:

The recaro seats are amazing.
    The artificial engine noise sounds a little artificial.
    Torque steer correction works well.
    Gear throw felt a bit long but not bad.
    I prefer an earlier clutch engagement point but again not terrible.
    Suspension was firm but not punishing (right on IMHO).
    VW and Mazda are now playing catch up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I drove a red st before I bought my WRX. If I had wanted a FWD car, this would have been it. Those recaro seats are amazingly nice. The car is also well built and looks nice at that. It is way too pricey though with the recaro seats, I think it was something like 27k and the dealer wouldn't budge.
    '11 WRX DGM

I forgot about the engine noise thing.

What is the base model missing that is essential?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gp177 View Post
    The artificial engine noise sounds a little artificial.

I really like the new Focus. I rented one recently and was very impressed with the way the car drove. I'm not surprised that its performance-oriented brethren is a pleasure to drive. I think Ford would have done well to add a proper LSD to the car, but it seems the trend is moving to e-LSDs (erhm SUBARU).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I forgot about the engine noise thing.

What is the base model missing that is essential?
    The recaro seats. The focus suffers from the base ralliarts problem, terrible seats. The recaros are necessary.
    '11 WRX DGM

IMO, RWD or AWD is the way to go for a performance car. Torque steer will always be a problem with FWD, especially with higher hp offerings.

Test drove both and now own a 2013 wrx. Resale will be a lot better too.

i can't get over the front and rear of the focus. handles great for a fwd car.

Re: 2013Focus ST vs 2013 WRX

Look at one before I got my wrx dealer wouldn't let me test drive and keep pushing a '12 fusion on me and then they had a 5k mark "because they are so on demand" so 33k and a ****ty attitude I said going back to Subaru

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by legacy_gt View Post
    i can't get over the front and rear of the focus. handles great for a fwd car.
    I too don't like the nose of the car, the rear looks good especially with the center exhaust. But now today I just read about the release of the Fiesta ST, that is a package I would like better, and good mpgs to boot. The Fiesta gets back to the original WRX size which should be a riot to drive. IMO Subaru is behind, they really need a sub Impreza type hot-hatch, coupe or sedan like NOW.

When you really think about it, the rest of the industry is slowly copying the WRX DNA, a low priced, high performance product that real and average people can afford to drive. Subaru still has a leg up with AWD & turbo power for under $27K but it won't be long before we see another company do the same.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 11-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I am currently looking between these two very cars. 13 st vs 13 sti
    IMO

Both cars felt about equally fast, they put there power down differently, but felt overall equally powerful

St pros, way better interior/sound system/seats/tech, basically everything inside the car is light years ahead of the Subaru, gas mileage is a given 23 vs 32 highway, not even close, recaro seats are amazing, sound system is excellent, an st2 is about 10k cheaper than a sti. I guess that's it for me.

Sti pros, way more mod friendly since the st has an integrated exhaust manifold which severely limits turbo upgrade potential, factory brembos, dccd, Awd, transmission has great feel and solid shifts, it's a proven platform all the bugs worked out of it. Tons of proven aftermarket support, awd launches are second only to sex lmao. Not as good(comparatively) sti Seats and stereo are easy changes so that's no biggie

Just my observations please don't take them to heart. they are just OPINIONS from a own neither looking to buy a turbo 4 door guys perspective. Cheers!!

I don't think comparing the ST to the STi is comparing an apple to apple. I think the ST is closer to the WRX, the STi is on a whole different level, just my opinion though. If you factor in the WRX, then Subaru is a much better bargain. I don't feel or believe no matter how cool the Recaros are or the handling, I'm not paying $30k or more for a Focus. That's what they go for out here and in some cases more with markup.

Would rather have a Golf R every day of the week.
    Current vehicles:

I don't think comparing the ST to the STi is comparing an apple to apple. I think the ST is closer to the WRX, the STi is on a whole different level, just my opinion though. If you factor in the WRX, then Subaru is a much better bargain. I don't feel or believe no matter how cool the Recaros are or the handling, I'm not paying $30k or more for a Focus. That's what they go for out here and in some cases more with markup.

Would rather have a Golf R every day of the week.
    Current vehicles:

Registered User Officer Cartman's Avatar
    I test drove the ST the other day, and like EndlessSea said, the interior is light years ahead of the WRX in every way. Fit, finish, great stereo, SYNC, etc.

But the torque steer on them is just ridiculous! If you don't notice it, you're probably not driving it hard enough. Also, with the drivers seat all the way back, there's absolutely NO legroom for someone behind me. The trunk also looked pretty small and shallow from what I could see.

An interesting car, but I guess I'll stick with the WRX for now..

Quote Originally Posted by Officer Cartman View Post
    I test drove the ST the other day, and like EndlessSea said, the interior is light years ahead of the WRX in every way. Fit, finish, great stereo, SYNC, etc.

But the torque steer on them is just ridiculous! If you don't notice it, you're probably not driving it hard enough. Also, with the drivers seat all the way back, there's absolutely NO legroom for someone behind me. The trunk also looked pretty small and shallow from what I
    could see.

An interesting car, but I guess I'll stick with the WRX for now..
    While this car is cool no doubt it will never be as durable a WRX, that nice interior will look like complete crap in no time, the Sync will have tons of glitches ( I have Sync in my F-150 and it works right 80% time) Since at the core it's still a Focus and resale value will completely blow because of it.
    Current vehicles:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast