Comparison 2011 STi and 2012 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Comparison 2011 STi and 2012 WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone I have been driving my friend's wrx to help him break it in for the past month. After ...

Comparison 2011 STi and 2012 WRX

Hi everyone I have been driving my friend's wrx to help him break it in for the past month. After breaking in his car and doing a few pulls. I felt like it was necessary to write a comparison between my 11 sti and his 12 wrx. My sti has about 10k miles and his just rolled over to 1700 miles. I did not do any drag comparisons with either car and this just compares DD with some canyon driving. Also a disclaimer, this is my opinion of the two cars and are not looking to start a flamewar with anyone.

The wrx is a very good daily driver. Compared to the sti where you can feel every crack on the road. When taking corners, I canyon carve a lot, there is a noticeable amount of body roll in the wrx. Guess you can't get the best of both worlds. I also noticed that the wrx throttle was very touchy, barely tapping on it just hauls the car. The sti's throttle was not as touchy, but this is me driving in I mode, so that could be it. I did not notice any major mpg gas differences. My sti was getting about 23.8 mpg and the wrx was about 24.7 mpg. I figure this will increase as the wrx fully breaks in. The transmission was a big difference between both car's shifting. I don't know if the spt short throw kit widen the gap, but I would highly recommend it now after testing a car without it. Everyone is aware of the braking differences too, one thing I did notice is that the sti's oem pads create brake dust like no tomorrow. The wrx brake dust wasn't as bad, above average, but not as bad. So for you people that are anal about clean rims I would suggest switching new pads.

Well, wrapping this up, I really enjoyed the wrx. Power is there and it hugs the road well, if my work commute was different and I did not have to do canyon carvings almost daily. I would have picked up a wrx.
    Current- 11 WRX STi Hatchback
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I test drove a used 2011 STi and would have to agree that the transmission was for sure the biggest difference. Shifting just feels that much better and the suspension is better for aggressive driving. Overall, the car is just built stronger.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    Since both cars are comparable age, can you tell if one or the other has more interior rattles? Road noise?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

They both have similar road noises. For squeaks and rattles, the wrx had a random groaning noise in the front passenger door. My sti has a rattling noise in the trunk area. I'm assuming it's the privacy cover flapping around. I do hear random rattles here and there in both cars. So for people buying either, dont expect to buy a rattle free car. You are looking at the wrong cars
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider velcro and/or felt for the privacy cover, it just might work. That will allow you to hear other, new noises over the lower noise floor... I speak from experience with my '02. Congrats on car.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Na, I added two 10"s in the back. Now all rattles can't be heard anymore!
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure, that works too!

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    I know rattles have been a real issue for many people, but for what it's worth, my '11 has not had any rattle issues so far. I'm a year and a half into ownership with 20k on the odo. On top of that, I drive a lot of broken country roads as well, so the car has had it's share of vibration.

It is amazing how much things can vary from one vehicle to the next. Was it just a good day on the assembly lines? Was it a high or low humidity day and that impacted fitament? Had they just announced drug testing at the factory? Gotta wonder ....
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Thanks for this Comparison Brandisher, I love hearing how 2011+ WRXs compares to others(Because i own a 2012 WRX). It is a great DD not too harsh but still hugs the road. I did notice like you pointed out the body roll in high speed turns. I've been researching how to reduce it and one of the solutions that's economically efficient to do are upgrading the front/rear sway bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandisher View Post
    Hi everyone I have been driving my friend's wrx to help him break it in for the past month. After breaking in his car and doing a few pulls. I felt like it was necessary to write a comparison between my 11 sti and his 12 wrx. My sti has about 10k miles and his just rolled over to 1700 miles. I did not do any drag comparisons with either car and this just compares DD with some canyon driving. Also a disclaimer, this is my opinion of the two cars and are not looking to start a flamewar with anyone.

The wrx is a very good daily driver. Compared to the sti where you can feel every crack on the road. When taking corners, I canyon carve a lot, there is a noticeable amount of body roll in the wrx. Guess you can't get the best of both worlds. I also noticed that the wrx throttle was very touchy, barely tapping on it just hauls the car. The sti's throttle was not as touchy, but this is me driving in I mode, so that could be it. I did not notice any major mpg gas differences. My sti was getting about 23.8 mpg and the wrx was about 24.7 mpg. I figure this will increase as the wrx fully breaks in. The transmission was a big difference between both car's shifting. I don't know if the spt short throw kit widen the gap, but I would highly recommend it now after testing a car without it. Everyone is aware of the braking differences too, one thing I did notice is that the sti's oem pads create brake dust like no tomorrow. The wrx brake dust wasn't as bad, above average, but not as bad. So for you people that are anal about clean rims I would suggest switching new pads.

Well, wrapping this up, I really enjoyed the wrx. Power is there and it hugs the road well, if my work commute was different and I did not have to do canyon carvings almost daily. I would have picked up a wrx.

Re: Comparison 2011 STi and 2012 WRX

nice comparison

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Since both cars are comparable age, can you tell if one or the other has more interior rattles? Road noise?
    If I may, I actually don't have any problem what so ever with rattles in my stock suspension sti. I just sense a feeling of rigidity going over bumpy surfaces such as an unfortunate road or railroad crossing. I drive a 07 civic and 06 altima for 90% of the week and the biggest difference of course is the ride comfort, which again i don't care much about. The only rattles I hear come from my personals in door panel compartments. So I honestly have no idea what everyone's on about when they talk about rattles lol.
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

Very nice read! This may impact my decision on model. I have had 2 neck surgeries and up for number 3 in the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xB View Post
    Very nice read! This may impact my decision on model. I have had 2 neck surgeries and up for number 3 in the next month.
    wow - 3rd surgeries? - I hope for the best! The WRX seats do provide adequate support. (have a bad back from a racing accident way back)

As owners of a '11 STi base sedan and '12 WRX Hatch base (both in PBP) - I have to agree there is WAY more body roll in the WRX. (and expected given the suspension setup) The throttle programming is definetly more "on" in the WRX than the STi (except in S# mode) and I can throw the STi more confidently on the street or mountain road. I suppose if I want to launch even quicker, I'd go with a COBB setup, but hey, I'm done with my dragging days..
    That said - we bought two different animals to serve their purpose; the STi for my GF to drive around to work and back and weekends, the WRX as the DD for me to haul the dogs to the mountains and the beach. Oh, and the $6,000 price difference..

Man - we must be heavy on the pedal; we avg 19 mpg in the STi, 21 in the WRX. (10k miles on the WRX, 7k on the STi) not like I care if we get good gas mileage...

Quote Originally Posted by mettmann View Post
    wow - 3rd surgeries? - I hope for the best! The WRX seats do provide adequate support. (have a bad back from a racing accident way back)

As owners of a '11 STi base sedan and '12 WRX Hatch base (both in PBP) - I have to agree there is WAY more body roll in the WRX. (and expected given the suspension setup) The throttle programming is definetly more "on" in the WRX than the STi (except in S# mode) and I can throw the STi more confidently on the street or mountain road. I suppose if I want to launch even quicker, I'd go with a COBB setup, but hey, I'm done with my dragging days..
    That said - we bought two different animals to serve their purpose; the STi for my GF to drive around to work and back and weekends, the WRX as the DD for me to haul the dogs to the mountains and the beach. Oh, and the $6,000 price difference..

Man - we must be heavy on the pedal; we avg 19 mpg in the STi, 21 in the WRX. (10k miles on the WRX, 7k on the STi) not like I care if we get good gas mileage...
    Nice combo! Wish my gf would trade her Corolla in on a STi
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Your welcome everyone! I'm glad my observations may help people choose between these two great vehicles.
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.