Subaru vs the world - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru vs the world within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by mycologist This is a valid topic - please everyone stay on it. Of course, you posting that ...

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    This is a valid topic - please everyone stay on it.

Of course, you posting that picture instantly made my distractable brain want to start spewing Young Frankenstein quotes and therefore go off topic again.

Aside from thinking Zach's play on words with the threat title hilarious, I would have a hard time answering the OP's question. So much depends on the driver and like Ray said, how much you're willing to beat on the transmission.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks Rambo I know about the numerous downsides to clutch dumping an AWD car, I actually take my Subby off road on trails a lot Problem with Auto X is there's not too many tracks (that I know of) around Allentown PA I was just curious if a civic Si stock or VW r32 or GTi could beat a stock WRX that's all.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forum, I love it here! I was actually laughing at the sarcastic comments above haha. Just dudes bein' dudes eh? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Thanks Rambo I know about the numerous downsides to clutch dumping an AWD car, I actually take my Subby off road on trails a lot Problem with Auto X is there's not too many tracks (that I know of) around Allentown PA I was just curious if a civic Si stock or VW r32 or GTi could beat a stock WRX that's all.

And thanks for welcoming me to the forum, I love it here! I was actually laughing at the sarcastic comments above haha. Just dudes bein' dudes eh? Cheers!

Way to take it with a grain of salt! Glad you could pass the initiation test

I'll give you some positive rep for that, and not taking a bunch of us internet goons too srsly
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Philadelphia Region SCCA

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocross is for fast drivers.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

AutoX does not use "tracks." AutoX uses cones in a parking lot

The 2.0L WRX isn't very fast in a straight line. Expect low 14s at mid 90s trap speeds. That's in-line with a early 2000s V6 Camry. Remember, there's only 170whp in a 3100lb car. I'd imagine a modern Civic Si would see similar times/trap speeds. Here's a good resource, should your curiosity get the best of you:
    Drag Racing 1/4 Mile times 0-60 Dyno Fast Cars Muscle Cars - DragTimes.com

Given it's weight (3300lbs) and driveline (AWD), the R32 also does not fare very rapidly in a straight line. I'd expect low 14s and upper 90s trap speeds from the Vdub.
    Last edited by zax; 09-11-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    AutoX doesn't not use "tracks." AutoX uses cones in a parking lot
    An awful lot of them cones. There may be a pun in there ...

Philadelphia Region SCCA - Mini Of The Main Line Solo Summer Series Events
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I apologize if my input was taken as harsh; I was simply trying to point out that there are many better choices out there if the goal is to do well (and be consistent) at the drag strip.

Rep for the OP for taking the beating.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

[QUOTE=Sasquatch;2934946]Philadelphia Region SCCA

Awesome! I'll be heading there in the VERY near future

It's kay and thanks I want to race my Subaru sooooo bad, I find street racing to be childish, douchy and I'd NEVER forgive myself for hurting or killing another due to my careless driving. So the only safe track around my area is a drag strip, although I love watching drag races, I always here about clutch dropping an AWD being the worst thing you could do to the subby. But now that @sasquatch gave me a link to a nearby auto X track, I'll be visiting that shortly

BTW I'd love to have an old V8 for dragging but the subaru on off road dirt trails and snowy parking lots is more fun to me Plus it handles on the road VERY well! I'm obsessed with the Subby's and that's why I love this forum!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Autocross is very fun. I've not AutoXed in my Subaru before, but I can imagine it would be a very rewarding experience. Back in the day, the 2.0L Subarus were very well classed in STX and quite lethal on the coruse.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Autocross is very fun. I've not AutoXed in my Subaru before, but I can imagine it would be a very rewarding experience. Back in the day, the 2.0L Subarus were very well classed in STX and quite lethal on the coruse.
    I have. My bugeye was largely stock at the time, but I still had a blast. Even then, AutoX rewards competent driving, not necessarily competent cars. That said, I also got the chance to drive my instructor's bugeye wagon which he had prepped for AutoX. With a standard Stg II setup, beefy sways, 17s with sticky tires, and a great spring/strut package, that car seemed to bend physics. It was awesome.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I have. My bugeye was largely stock at the time, but I still had a blast. Even then, AutoX rewards competent driving, not necessarily competent cars. That said, I also got the chance to drive my instructor's bugeye wagon which he had prepped for AutoX. With a standard Stg II setup, beefy sways, 17s with sticky tires, and a great spring/strut package, that car seemed to bend physics. It was awesome.
    yeah it seems that it can be an expensive sport, but come on, it sounds so AWESOME! So do you do like racing against others or is it just for personal times and bragging rights? Also since we're now on the topic of mods. What should/shouldn't I do with my WRX to make it a bit more "lethal" on the track?

I Support ClubWRX

Subaru vs the world

I just did an AutoX beginners course with an instructor. Everyone there did unofficially race each other, but we didn't have to worry about classes and such.

Best track mod? Driver training.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

ha, this guy gets it. well done OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post
    ha, this guy gets it. well done OP.
    Haha it was a trial by fire wasn't it. I was worried he got scared off at first.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast