Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These observations come after 6 months after buying new. Previous cars: 06 GTI, 02 Mini, OK here goes: WRX sucks ...

Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium

These observations come after 6 months after buying new. Previous cars: 06 GTI, 02 Mini,
    OK here goes:
    WRX sucks gas like a SUV, although I'm getting 23 mpg
    Good power, doesn't feel like 65 hp more than the VW.
    Stock radio sucks, costs $650 for aftermarket. People need to just add that to the purchase price upfront.
    Low speed handles VERY well on super sticky summer tires. The Mini manages to handle better on lesser tires. Light weight is essential. High speed handling, the Subaru is a bit too soft.
    The Mini on runflats was horrible on very bad bumps. I should have replaced them.
    If you can live with the smaller dimensions, & smaller back seat & trunk, the Mini's the way to go.
    Nothing beats the GTI seats, the WRX seats just look sporty. Will it kill Subaru to add a height adjuster to the passenger side? (wife's comment)
    Subaru really does have the cheapest interior of any car in recent history. The VW is as good as everyone says it is. The Mini was different, my favorite.
    The GTI's sterring wheel is wonderful, the Min's was plain, & who is Subaru trying to fool by saying I have a leather wheel? Did it come from a plastic cow???
    I really miss the GTI's & Mini's auto door locking at 12 mph, & the auto up & down power windows.
    The VW sunroof (all VW's we've had) all make a noisy buffeting sound when windows are closed, while the WRX is quiet, the way they all should be.
    WTF is up with Subaru not having their sunroof controls lit up at night. I mean REALLY! And the steering wheel controls are also to dimly lit.
    Nothing beats a Mini panoramic sunroof. I wish mine had it.
    VW had a nice trip computer with estimated miles to empty, & both average & current MPG, etc. The WRX... no. I forgot how the Mini did it; didn't matter at 33-40 MPG
    During the day, if it is raining & you turn on the lights, the clock & MPG display is unreadable. The orange dash lights that looked awesome in the Mini just look overdone in the WRX. The 06 GTI had an annoying red display between the tach & the speedo that was thankfully eliminated a few years later.
    All fog lights are worthless, except if you mount aftermarket lamps. But the WRX's have reached a market low. Truthfully, the turn signals are brighter. I WILL REPLACE THOSE.
    Thank you Subaru for not encasing the engine compartment with plastic. Thank you. Still miss the Mini's hood where the hood & fenders & headlights rose up.
    Shame on VW for making the despised engine cover part of the air box. Mine broke & rattled.
    Shame on VW for bad cam followers that were thankfully reimbursed.
    Shame on VW for bad AC compressors, that were partially reimbursed.
    Shame on VW for designing direct injected engines & not designing a way for the engine to get deposits off the intake valves. What are all the other manufactures doing for this inevitable design?
    The service departments from all VW dealers SUCK. Can't say yet about Subaru. Mini dealers make you feel like sunshine & lollipops! Every dealer on the planet needs to learn from them. & I used 3 different ones!
    The Mini was surprisingly well built. You were always aware of the BMW components used. Mine survived a massive $7000 collision.
    The Subaru just doesn't have the well built feel of either the GTI or the Mini.
    However, I do not own the VW anymore because it was getting too expensive to repair & maintain.
    With winter coming, I do not have many snow tire options with the WRX. Strange, since it is AWD. Plus, I have to PAY the dealer to reprogram the TPMS after every tire swap??? Or buy a $150 gizmo? The germans & the domestics allow you to do this in your car.
    OK Subaru, I paid $28,000 for my car & it has only a 5 speed Manual. That is such a bad design it was almost a deal killer. I just know the next generation will have a 6 speed,.... right Subaru of America???!!!
    The clutch on the WRX feels like its going to last until next Tuesday. Horrible feel
    Nice left foot dead pedal on the WRX, not so much on the GTI & Mini.
    If you can live with the smaller dimensions, & smaller back seat & trunk, the Mini's the way to go.
    Can't wait for the AWD & Snow!!

I think that is it. Lots of rambling!! Overall, Subaru needs to compete better with all car companies with the interiors. VW needs to compete better with their components and bulid quality, & Mini needs to make a more handsome Countryman.
    Last edited by gizmorex; 09-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a 2012 GTI as well as multiple subarus. Also multiple VWs but comparing the GTI to the WRX unfortunately isnt really fair. I dont know how to really put this into words but the WRX/STi is more of an enthusiasts car than anything. They started to go after a different market and unfortunately caught the attention of more people who think the car is what they want. If you want a good stereo, creature comforts and all sorts of goodies dont buy the subaru. If you want a car that is out of the box fun and only gets better buy the subaru.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I had a 2012 GTI as well as multiple subarus. Also multiple VWs but comparing the GTI to the WRX unfortunately isnt really fair. I dont know how to really put this into words but the WRX/STi is more of an enthusiasts car than anything. They started to go after a different market and unfortunately caught the attention of more people who think the car is what they want. If you want a good stereo, creature comforts and all sorts of goodies dont buy the subaru. If you want a car that is out of the box fun and only gets better buy the subaru.
    True, although the VW enthusiasts will disagree. I didn't buy the GTi wanting all that creature comforts, I came from a Mini, which is way more fun & sporty than a WRX. It just is a wee bit too small. Ultimately, it is the excellent Japanese reputation that brought me back to Subaru.

I Support ClubWRX
    VW enthusiasts can disagree all they want to, they are an electrical nightmare. They are warranty *****s, and they over time are expensive to maintain and keep. If it wasnt for the full warranty and 3 year 36k free maintenance I wouldnt of ever considered a VW again. The car was ok, Id rather own a subaru.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I had a 2008 VW R32 prior to my 2012 WRX. The R32 was a much nicer car, much nicer interior, steering feel, brakes, steering wheel, features. I drove a 2012 GTI as well and it's a really nice driving car, a solid step up in class over the WRX, BUT, I simply cannot deal with the poor build quality of VW products. My R32 was in for warranty repairs a dozen times, and major stuff, like replace steering rack and pinion, replace gas tank, rebuild transmission, replace DSG clutches, replace airbag system wiring harness, replace DSG computer, twice. It was a nightmare. I would love to find a car that has the driving dynamics of a German car and the build quality of a Japanese car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your thoughts are very hard to follow.

Do you actually like anything about the car you now own? At the end I was left thinking you really ought to just go get a Mini.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Another one of these threads? ... really?

Doesn't anyone do any effin research before buying a car? *shakes head* .. I just dont get it.

I think the mods should mash all these threads together and call it " the collective shoulda done more research before buying " thread. Or maybe something more catchy like " new buyers be ware " .. maybe that might thin the herd of sheeople we've seen come around lately.

Complaining about $28K dollars and then bitching about lighted buttons and nicer interior... did you want the car for free?? You paid for a turbo econobox. Its not going to be all plush and pretty inside. If ya think its cheap go drive some new Domestics... cheap interiors and sloppy handling? They've got it like its goin out of style. Considering the average price of a new car now days is $25K .. $28K is still a very average car.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I stopped reading after the third line.

2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Mini = new Mustang?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I really like Mini's.. they're great little cars regarding driver feel and over all fun factor..... but you cannot compare it directly to the wrx. Esp since the Mini has its wheels out at the very corners and a very nice weight bias.. vs the wrx who's engine is literally out in front of the front wheels and who's weight bias could be much better.

They're not going to handle even remotely the same and any expectation of such is purely rediculous.

We go over and over and over the interior all the time. I mean, really? .. want nice stuff its going to cost you. Want awd, power AND a nice interior.. it'll cost you $40K +
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Ha the funny thing is about sub-par interiors...is most of these 3rd Gen owners have no concept of 04-07 STI interiors
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Get a new mustang and a new wife.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Let's keep it friendly; honest feedback is a good thing. It remains interesting to me, how the priorities have changed since 2002. Back then, people said things like:

"Man, the rear sway on the wagon isn't stiff enough."
    ...or...
    "The seats in the WRX look like something off of a USAir flight, but they sure are supportive through the corners!"

Now we get:

"The sunroof controls aren't illuminated!"

It's all subjective stuff, of course. I've driven 2 different Cooper S's, (a super and a turbo), and wouldn't take either for my 10-year-old WRX.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

creature comforts
    What's that? Passengers who complain will be subjected to multiple 1G turns.

VW enthusiasts can disagree all they want to, they are an electrical nightmare.
    Amen Brother!

Posted from a fone.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are always going to be complaints. Here's the deal breaker for me:
    Mini: FWD
    GTI: FWD

I prefer a 5spd, and why don't you? Do you really need those six speeds? Our MS3 has 6 gears, and the only difference is that Mazda sandwiched another gear between my 4th and 5th speeds to improve the acceleration in the 100-130mph range. I'm intrigued by the Golf R, but at the insane price point (that's Audi A4 money right there), I haven't taken a second look.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast