Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Coming from a 2002 Civic SI the WRX's (2012) interior is a pretty big step up. It's quiet, the doors ...

Coming from a 2002 Civic SI the WRX's (2012) interior is a pretty big step up.

It's quiet, the doors shut with a relatively solid thunk, and the "touch points" are decent enough.

Plus it's still better than an Evo.

Coming from a 2006 Mini Cooper S, that interior rattled too, the maintenance was a pain, it leaked and it was about the same as the WRX in terms as gas mileage.

I considered a GTI but I didn't want FWD and didn't want to deal with little problems here and there.

In the end I needed a 4 door, and wanted something sporty and either RWD or AWD. The only other car I was considering was a 328i (used) or 335i (used) but I learned my lesson with the Mini.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I like the fact that my WRX is rather simplistic compared to many cars today. All those electronic goodies add cost. I'm an older guy. I don't use that stuff. I wanted an affordable, fun to drive, all weather car. I got it with my 2013 WRX. The poor radio quality is my only real complaint. I added Infinity speakers which helps, but I'm afraid the receiver is the real weak link here. A sporty automatic with paddle shifters would be a nice optional offering. However, I must admit I like rowing the gears myself.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    A sporty automatic with paddle shifters would be a nice optional offering. However, I must admit I like rowing the gears myself.
    Agreed...though...personally I hope that they NEVER, EVER, offer a fancy paddle shifter option in the WRX or STI. People are lazy, and I fear that it would begin a trend that would eventually lead to the manual going away, due to decreased demand.

I know that the manumatics in high-end sportscars are supposed to be great...but I've yet to drive a consumer level flappy paddle solution that didn't make me pine for a clutch and shifter. (maybe VW's is good...haven't driven one of their DSG offerings.)
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 11-13-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I heard recently that, in fact, manuals were making a comeback due to them generally being cheaper than their automatic counterparts.
    (take this with a grain of salt, as I don't remember who or where I heard it from. I believe it was someone at a dealership)
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Agreed...though...personally I hope that they NEVER, EVER, offer a fancy paddle shifter option in the WRX or STI. People are lazy, and I fear that it would begin a trend that would eventually lead to the manual going away, due to decreased demand.

I know that the manumatics in high-end sportscars are supposed to be great...but I've yet to drive a consumer level flappy paddle solution that didn't make me pine for a clutch and shifter. (maybe VW's is good...haven't driven one of their DSG offerings.)
    The DSG is supposed to good, but the car around it is still a VW I kid I kid.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I've test drove GTIs with and without the DSG. The engagement and gear changing worked just fine, but I didn't like how it felt. They aren't paddles so much as they were little nubs (buttons?) you push on behind the steering wheel. They felt small to me as well. It wasn't bad and I could see where people with traffic filled commutes would like the option, but it was no where near as satisfying as having a stick

And yea I think the 6 speeds are overrated too. I learned on 5 and to me that's what works best for normal driving. I've driven an MS3 and GTI with a 6spd and I wasn't all that impressed. I mean it was nice, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone. The GTI felt similar to a 5spd, with the 6th gear just barely dropping the rpms when on the highway. Just makes me do more work when going into reverse! harumph.

wow, just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I've test drove GTIs with and without the DSG. The engagement and gear changing worked just fine, but I didn't like how it felt. They aren't paddles so much as they were little nubs (buttons?) you push on behind the steering wheel. They felt small to me as well. It wasn't bad and I could see where people with traffic filled commutes would like the option, but it was no where near as satisfying as having a stick

And yea I think the 6 speeds are overrated too. I learned on 5 and to me that's what works best for normal driving. I've driven an MS3 and GTI with a 6spd and I wasn't all that impressed. I mean it was nice, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone. The GTI felt similar to a 5spd, with the 6th gear just barely dropping the rpms when on the highway. Just makes me do more work when going into reverse! harumph.
    I dunno, I have a 2003 WRX, stage 2, and just drove my buddies new 2010 STi... biggest thing I liked was the 6spd. I get that the 5 could be better for DD purposes, but I find that there are a couple awkward spots in the 5 -- I'm thinking mainly around 20 mph when I want to gun it hard, 2nd isn't in boost and I don't really want to downshift to 1st; or around 50mph where 3rd isn't really in boost but 2nd would be nearly redlined. Loved the way the 6spd eliminated those awkward spots.

Quote Originally Posted by harhar View Post
    Coming from a 2006 Mini Cooper S, that interior rattled too, the maintenance was a pain, it leaked and it was about the same as the WRX in terms as gas mileage.

In the end I needed a 4 door, and wanted something sporty and either RWD or AWD. The only other car I was considering was a 328i (used) or 335i (used) but I learned my lesson with the Mini.
    What lessons? The maintenance on the BMW is fully covered for the first 4 years, as are all wearable parts. That's one heck of a deal considering a new set of front brakes will run you a grand or more (parts and labor)! I've been looking at a 335 for a while too and considered one instead of my STI but at the end of the day, you're looking at $55k (or even $60k!) for a nicely optioned 335. Which means the used ones are still really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I like the fact that my WRX is rather simplistic compared to many cars today. All those electronic goodies add cost. I'm an older guy. I don't use that stuff. I wanted an affordable, fun to drive, all weather car. I got it with my 2013 WRX. The poor radio quality is my only real complaint. I added Infinity speakers which helps, but I'm afraid the receiver is the real weak link here. A sporty automatic with paddle shifters would be a nice optional offering. However, I must admit I like rowing the gears myself.
    On the flip side, you do lose some things in the Subaru due to the AWD and the cost of that system. And it's an excellent AWD system that's one of the best in the world in the snow or on any slippery surface. I'm an older guy too and don't really use the goodies. I still haven't set up Bluetooth in my STI and I've had the car for almost 2 years! The receiver and speakers are definitely both weak links. That's one of the things that suffers to give you the AWD and nice boxer motor with a turbo and IC. Personally I'm a dedicated manual guy too and it makes me sad whenever I see a manufacturer go to only DSG/paddles/whatever non-manual in a car with no manual option.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Unfortunately that's the rumor for the new Porsche GT3 is there will only be paddles available, though I find it hard to believe Porsche wouldn't offer one. On the flip side, I could see them doing it with the GT3RS and RSR models because those systems are simply faster in race cars than a manual. There are even some guys on the main Porsche board on the web that say that all the guys that like manuals just need to get used to it and that manuals have no purpose any more. I'm more polite on that board but I'll say what I'm really thinking here which is that's a truly STUPID attitude because I don't see how driving pleasure is EVER something I should get used to living without. When/if I'm lucky enough to afford more than one sports car, I might have one of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I think if you were to drive a 6 speed as your own car you'd understand a lot better why people like them. However, you'll really appreciate the extra gear if you lived in the mountains or a place with lots of twisty roads.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I think if you were to drive a 6 speed as your own car you'd understand a lot better why people like them. However, you'll really appreciate the extra gear if you lived in the mountains or a place with lots of twisty roads.

I own a 6spd car but also prefer a 5spd so what is your point Scott? Each has his own preference.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I guess the conclusion is everyone has different needs/preferences. I basically never use 5th gear unless I go on a trip (unfortunately uncommon these days). I would greatly benefit from higher and closer ratios in 1-5, enough so that I would take a RPM hit for highway cruising if I keep the 5-speed. A 6 speed that ended up near the end of my 4th when it was at the end of 5th, but with an even bigger drop into 6th for lower RPM highway cruising would be ideal. It would be particularly ideal if the meat of 3rd was right where 2nd currently ends. That would put me in the sweet spot on a lot more corners here instead of choosing too high of RPMs in 2nd or too low in third. That is just a common corner theme here - YMMWV. It would be a crappy setup for really high speed pulls, but I don't do that.

I think the reason the 5 speed is actually screwed up (at least for my year) is the extra long 2nd gear which enables you to get 0-60 times for magazines without using 3rd. The old JDM ratios look much better.
    Last edited by mycologist; 11-18-2012 at 02:38 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What lessons? The maintenance on the BMW is fully covered for the first 4 years, as are all wearable parts. That's one heck of a deal considering a new set of front brakes will run you a grand or more (parts and labor)! I've been looking at a 335 for a while too and considered one instead of my STI but at the end of the day, you're looking at $55k (or even $60k!) for a nicely optioned 335. Which means the used ones are still really expensive.
    The Mini was used and out of warranty. The lesson being I won't buy a BMW/Mini out of warranty ever again. I would only buy one new and I just don't have those kinds of funds.

With my experience and from my research on other forums you have to be ON TOP on maintenance with BMWs and the like; coming from Hondas (where you could be a little lax, and parts didn't cost as much) it was an eye opener.

The WRX I think will fall somewhere in the middle. I think a lot of problems come from abuse or "ignorant" abuse. And this was one of the reasons why I bought new.

Anyway, for a new car, the WRX I think is a great value, and for what I paid the only 335i's (used) were about the same price but without a warranty. And even by doing my "homework" (and by doing the work myself) that was a bet I wasn't willing to take.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I own a 6spd car but also prefer a 5spd so what is your point Scott? Each has his own preference.
    My point is that your opinion is totally whacked! Who in the world would ever prefer a 5 over a 6 unless they're totally fruit loopy?!?!?!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by harhar View Post
    I think a lot of problems come from abuse or "ignorant" abuse.
    No.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had time with a 6 speed in my G35...I was prepared for it to be a life-changing experience, and it just, well, wasn't. For anything sporting, I wind up using 3 forward gears in the WRX. 4th and 5th are "commuter gears". I'm sure that the STI's 6-speed is a higher quality box, as has been attested to by many, but as long as my bugeye's 5 speed doesn't blow up, I continue to be happy with it.

(plus I'd miss the little dance you have to do to get it into reverse on a cold morning! )
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast