Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you go to unlock the car with the key port the alarm goes off anyway...
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I had a 2012 GTI as well as multiple subarus. Also multiple VWs but comparing the GTI to the WRX unfortunately isnt really fair. I dont know how to really put this into words but the WRX/STi is more of an enthusiasts car than anything. They started to go after a different market and unfortunately caught the attention of more people who think the car is what they want. If you want a good stereo, creature comforts and all sorts of goodies dont buy the subaru. If you want a car that is out of the box fun and only gets better buy the subaru.
    I think this sums it up pretty well. This car is an Impreza, which basically is just a econobox with a turbo. I bought my 07 WRX wagon as a second vehicle when my truck took a dump. I bought it for the AWD and the fun factor of having a turbo car. I love hearing the turbo spool and the boxer motor roar when hitting the higher RPM's. If I want a plush ride and fancy instrument panel I drive my Acura TL(which is not as fun to drive as the WRX).
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

My wife drives a 2011 Sportwagon TDi and when i drive my 2009 WRX she gives me crap from time to time. Both our cars cost about the same but the VW is much nicer once you get inside even with he fake leather crap they use now.

I always tell her that the money in the WRX wasn't for a nice all around car. Subaru spent most the money on the engine, turbo and AWD trans then threw together an OK interior to make the car presentable so they could still make a profit. I knew this when buying the car... Can't be happier!

Will i buy a new radio with Bluetooth one day? Yep
    Do i have to unbuckle at the light and punch the passenger door so it stops rattling once a week? Yep
    Does it suck that i can't turn the radio all the way up because it sounds like crap? Yep
    Did my 2004 Durango, 2003 LTZ Trailblazer, 2004 Specv, 2011 TDi Sportwagon, 1998 TSI AWD, have better sound/interiors? Yep

I'm fine with it, i knew what i was getting my self in to... 265hp (underrated) AWD, 4 door (kids) that has a great community and aftermarket potential for $26k...

I love my car. Driving during the night is especially fun. I cam from a Honda so my only problem is with the shifter.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

The cars that I had in the last 5 years were a 1997 Civic EX Coupe, 2007 Accord 6MT Sedan, 2006 Mehstang GT, and the 2012 WRX. The Civic, while slow, was a rock solid reliable car despite sitting for nearly 11 months after my first wife passed away in January 2007. I had to change, belts, hoses, fluids, and a couple of wires, but other than that the car was relatively problem free with the power window regulators being my biggest gripe. It was slow as hell, but even beating on it in the city, I would get 27 to 30 MPG and up to 36 MPG on the highway.

My 2007 Accord would get about 33 MPG on the highway, and I took many trips to visit family in Florida. It was comfortable, quiet, and pretty much boring. I'm glad I had the 6MT because it would have been a superbland car with an automatic. Unfortunately, a drunk driver crossed the center line and put that car to rest after 10 months of owning it.

My 2006 Mustang GT that I purchased used.... The only thing I will say about it is that it made me remember my hate for Ford vehicles and brought back PTSD from when I owned a 1996 Thunderbird. The thunderchicken was purchased new and had problems from DAY 1.

Now, my 2012 WRX. It isn't the most refined of vehicles, the exhaust drone can be annoying at times, the stock sound system is about to be replaced, and it has the "boy racer" look. With all that said, I enjoy driving it every time I hop in the driver's seat. Purchaed new on December 27, still happy on September 13!

All my Ford fanboi friends keep telling me to give it time because the car is still new... I have to remind them that by 9 months of owning my thunderbird, I was ready to sue the dealership under the no lemon law in 1997. I am happy to report that I have no desire to do the same with my WRX. Plus, I am aware that the clutch tends to need replacing sooner than other vehicles, some have cracked ringlands, and there are a few other nitpick things that can go wrong.

I'll take that over having an ECU die, O2 sensors randomly going bad, brakes failing, transmissions blowing up, rear ends blowing up, the intake manifold blowing up, or a car being DOA after a rain. Should I get to the laundry list of nitpick items I had with owning Fords? Paint defects, under the hood squeak that no one could solve, POS alternators dying randomly, battery blowing up, glove box developing a huge crack in it, miscellaneous interior panels breaking/falling off, numerous squeaks and rattles, miscellaneous under the hood pulleys going bad, serpentine belts snapping after the pulleys were replaced by the dealership... There's a lot more but I am tired of typing. I have concluded that either I am either the most snakebit ford owner on the planet, or other people just don't sweat the small stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    The cars that I had in the last 5 years were a 1997 Civic EX Coupe, 2007 Accord 6MT Sedan, 2006 Mehstang GT, and the 2012 WRX. The Civic, while slow, was a rock solid reliable car despite sitting for nearly 11 months after my first wife passed away in January 2007. I had to change, belts, hoses, fluids, and a couple of wires, but other than that the car was relatively problem free with the power window regulators being my biggest gripe. It was slow as hell, but even beating on it in the city, I would get 27 to 30 MPG and up to 36 MPG on the highway.

My 2007 Accord would get about 33 MPG on the highway, and I took many trips to visit family in Florida. It was comfortable, quiet, and pretty much boring. I'm glad I had the 6MT because it would have been a superbland car with an automatic. Unfortunately, a drunk driver crossed the center line and put that car to rest after 10 months of owning it.

My 2006 Mustang GT that I purchased used.... The only thing I will say about it is that it made me remember my hate for Ford vehicles and brought back PTSD from when I owned a 1996 Thunderbird. The thunderchicken was purchased new and had problems from DAY 1.

Now, my 2012 WRX. It isn't the most refined of vehicles, the exhaust drone can be annoying at times, the stock sound system is about to be replaced, and it has the "boy racer" look. With all that said, I enjoy driving it every time I hop in the driver's seat. Purchaed new on December 27, still happy on September 13!

All my Ford fanboi friends keep telling me to give it time because the car is still new... I have to remind them that by 9 months of owning my thunderbird, I was ready to sue the dealership under the no lemon law in 1997. I am happy to report that I have no desire to do the same with my WRX. Plus, I am aware that the clutch tends to need replacing sooner than other vehicles, some have cracked ringlands, and there are a few other nitpick things that can go wrong.

I'll take that over having an ECU die, O2 sensors randomly going bad, brakes failing, transmissions blowing up, rear ends blowing up, the intake manifold blowing up, or a car being DOA after a rain. Should I get to the laundry list of nitpick items I had with owning Fords? Paint defects, under the hood squeak that no one could solve, POS alternators dying randomly, battery blowing up, glove box developing a huge crack in it, miscellaneous interior panels breaking/falling off, numerous squeaks and rattles, miscellaneous under the hood pulleys going bad, serpentine belts snapping after the pulleys were replaced by the dealership... There's a lot more but I am tired of typing. I have concluded that either I am either the most snakebit ford owner on the planet, or other people just don't sweat the small stuff...
    Ford's quality is about as good or if not better in some cases to Toyota, just take a look at Consumer Reports for evidence of that. My experience with Ford products have been really good, and will buy another without hesitation.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

the wrx isn't a car for comforts...and the newer ones are actually really nice compared to the older ones. when i saw that that new imprezas had buttons on the steering wheel i was so jealous...and to now find out that they are actually illuminated...thats awesome!!

i'm in a vw right now (leased) and i really like it but i miss the brashness of the wrx, it had personality to it. the lumpy idle, the sheet metal that sounded like it was made from recycled pepsi cans when it rained, the sparse interior. all that added character to the wrx. and i can't say any of the cars i've owned (acura rsx-s, acura tl-s or the vw gli) had/has this. not to mention the friendly subie owners. i waved at a guy driving a gti the other day and he just looked at me like i was crazy, i thought vw guys were just as friendly as the subie crew..what gives? honestly, my only issue with subaru is insurance. i'm paying 60% less in insurance on the gli then i did on the wrx. granted i'm married and have a child now, which i'm guessing lowers rates...but 60% is not a small amount.

in any case...its all subjective...if listening to a killer sound system while streaming songs from your iPhone via bluetooth is what you call fun...then the wrx isn't for you. if downshifting into 2nd gear and mashing the throttle around a bend is fun...then the wrx is.

oh 6mt's are over rated...a 5mt with just the right ratios for the power output will do the job just right.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

Quote Originally Posted by abhiwan View Post
    ...if listening to a killer sound system while streaming songs from your iPhone via bluetooth is what you call fun...then the wrx isn't for you.
    Just FYI, the new ones do that. Minus the "killer sound system" bit

Quote Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
    Ford's quality is about as good or if not better in some cases to Toyota, just take a look at Consumer Reports for evidence of that. My experience with Ford products have been really good, and will buy another without hesitation.
    New Fords *maybe*.....but certainly not older generations like he was talking about...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

i waved at a guy driving a gti the other day and he just looked at me like i was crazy, i thought vw guys were just as friendly as the subie crew..what gives?
    Cause you aren't herrafrush laying frame with stretched tires on ridiculous offset wheels, without the ability to drive with any semblance of performance handling or ability to go over bumps...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: Observations after 6 months of 2012 WRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cause you aren't herrafrush laying frame with stretched tires on ridiculous offset wheels, without the ability to drive with any semblance of performance handling or ability to go over bumps...
    Hatter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    yeah..i never understood the stretched tire thing...i actually saw it on an evo the other day
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

OP go trade in your car, get what you think you'll be happy with and call it a day. I have a feeling you would regret letting go the Subaru. I can say this because I did the same thing. I traded in a decently modded 07 WRX for an 08 GTI. Yes the GTI has a great interior and handles well out of the box. I can't say much about MINI's but I do think they're cool. Obviously your probably not gonna trade in your new car anytime soon. Wait for some snow or get out on some dirt roads and have some fun. My wife drives the GTI which seems to be more designed for chics in my opinion...

yeah..i never understood the stretched tire thing...i actually saw it on an evo the other day
    Me neither...its like...let's have the least stable tire patch you can, with a ton of power in the car. That way, you can't effectively get the power to the ground! And also, let's completely take out the handling aspect and let your AWD performance car, not be able to adequately take corners like it should!

****ing morons.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast