2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was referring to longer term value. Based on previous R32's (MKIVs). The STI's hold their value much better than ...

I was referring to longer term value. Based on previous R32's (MKIVs). The STI's hold their value much better than the WRX's however, I just did a quick search and the STIs and MKIV R32's seemed to hit the same price ranges. So if we are comparing STI and R, which we prolly should for price reasons, resale would probably be pretty equal in the long run.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    If you think the Golf -R is slow you should take a look at a car called the Subaru BRZ, now that's slow.
    I agree ... I'm still not sure about this car. I was reading an article (think it was Car and Driver) where they compared the BRZ, WRX and MS3 showing that it pulled greater "G's" in the skid test - saying that it out performed the WRX and Speed 3 (which it barely did). However, when you actually read the article, the BRZ was the only car in the test group that they actually installed aftermarket, stickier, performance tires???? Isn't that kind of cheating? I'm pretty sure that if the tires were stock or you put the same aftermarket tires on the WRX/MS3 that it would have not out performed either car (at least not the AWD WRX) on the skid pad. Otherwise, everyone knows that it's not even close on straight line performance.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Deezz_Nuttz View Post
    As a 2012 R owner i'd like to chime in...

The VW is much easier to live with as a daily, interior is really nice and plush (most of you seem to agree already). The seats aren't great (US version) the EU version gets the "real" bucket seats. but in the performance end, the STI is a purpose built, balls to the wall all the time, monster.

Stock for stock STI has the win for sure, but then again who would keep it stock? lol

My buddy has a 2012 STI and we are pretty much even racing in a straight line, but on curvy roads... well, that is where the STI show's it's powress! the AWD is infinitely better (at the cost of HP to the wheels), and the suspension is just more track ready than the R (again, this is why the R is easier to live with as a daily).

I guess as an overall, the STI is just too much "race" for me... the R is 'soft' enough to live with, yet still has enough balls to hang with the STI's and EVO's... price you say? I got mine cheaper than the STI
    I'm not trying to be a VW R hater ... I've always been a big fan of VW. My 1st car was a 1984 VW GTI and I loved that car. However, I have a 2011 WRX and could easily beat my friend in his stock VW R in the straight line acceleration when I was running just stage 1 (never tried stock ... didn't know him then). Now that I'm stage 3 - it's not even close.

I totally agree on the interior issue ... however, I didn't purchase my car for it's interior ... just performance. It's comfortable enough for me as a DD (just wish the seats had better side support like the Recaro's).
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

IMO you can't really compare the two cars. I paid $26,000 for my wrx and you guys are saying the vw costs upwards of $37,000. That's a $10,000 difference! If most of us had that much we would be driving the sti and not the wrx (not saying wrxs are bad I love mine). That being said I would EXPECT very nice interior on a tiny car that costs $37,000.
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    However, when you actually read the article, the BRZ was the only car in the test group that they actually installed aftermarket, stickier, performance tires???? Isn't that kind of cheating? I'm pretty sure that if the tires were stock or you put the same aftermarket tires on the WRX/MS3 that it would have not out performed either car (at least not the AWD WRX) on the skid pad. Otherwise, everyone knows that it's not even close on straight line performance.
    The point of the article was to see what happened when you put better tires on the BRZ, since it's known to come from the factory with economy tires. The other two cars in the test actually came with nice Dunlops.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The point of the article was to see what happened when you put better tires on the BRZ, since it's known to come from the factory with economy tires. The other two cars in the test actually came with nice Dunlops.
    I don't recall that mentioned in the article ... either way it would have been better if they either put the same upgraded performance tires on all the cars or tires comparable to those on the stock WRX/MS3 on the BRZ. Otherwise, you can not really compare them. It falls to the basic - comparing apples to oranges cliche. It would have been more realistic if they just compared the stock BRZ before and after the tire change. As we all know here ... the stock tires (at least on the WRX, I can't speak for the MS3) are not very good and the first thing everyone upgrades if they are going to run their car through a course or on the track. It was just not a very well thought out comparison. The article was more a infomercial than a "study." In my opinion, I think that it was published for marketing. Hoping the readers would take away from the article that the BRZ beat two well know performance cars at "something."
    Last edited by Wussola; 03-11-2013 at 07:19 PM.

- Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Thanks for the post. I didn't remember it reading that way ... it was a while ago ... my bad. However, I stand behind the rest of my comments.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you have a little hangup about the car. The numbers are the numbers. On less expensive tires (The Dunlop Star Specs cost less than $200 each, the OEM Dunlops for the WRX and MS3 cost over $200 each), the Toyobaru was able to beat the lap times for both cars around the test track. I suppose you could put the exact same model Dunlop on each to see what happens...though honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the FR-S came out on top, again.

All they did was level the playing field by putting "ultra-high performance summer tires" on the FR-S to match what the other two cars already had. It comes stock with "summer touring tires". I'm thankful for R&T doing the experiment...more info for me, should I decide to purchase one.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

this thread is relevant to my interests.

again with people thinking the BRZ is too slow, you guys really don't understand that car at all... smh

Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post

again with people thinking the BRZ is too slow, you guys really don't understand that car at all... smh
    +1

And to get back on topic...VWs may be hellacool...but you're still guaranteed to have electrical problems within 13 minutes of driving off the lot /trollololol
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

the one reason the r32 isn't in the running for my new purchase is because of all the issues I hear with vw's. just not willing to risk that.

I Support ClubWRX
    My "stop dead on the highway" experience with a rental Jetta spooked me on them.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Phobic View Post

Have you driven one? I have, and while I'm not in the camp begging for some form of supercharging to get an extra bazillion hp, I'd still argue it would benefit from something like a Stg 1 tune, with an extra 20-30hp on tap. Apparently, there is a popular tune that does just that out there now.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I have driven one and it was fun just as it was. Im not saying more power doesnt equal more fun, but they are still fun stock.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast