2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX I like a lot of things about the new VW's...even drove a new Passat TDI that ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I like a lot of things about the new VW's...even drove a new Passat TDI that really impressed...but after this happened, I pretty much wrote off the idea of buying one for myself:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ar-future.html
    Ha! That's the same car the rental place gave me for a day when I was getting my WRX Xilon'd. I had just traded in my 2003 Jetta for the WRX, and Hertz handed me a new Jetta. I freaking hated it, made my old one feel like a super car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    I'd certainly look into the TDI if it weren't for VW's reputation. When everything is working, they are refined, comfortable, stylish cars with that "German" quality about them. That facade is quickly blown as soon as things start to go wrong on them, though...
    One of my backpacking buddies owns the Passat TDI. It's a fantastic car to drive on the highway..modern, comfortable, quiet, and we were getting upwards of 50mpg, coming down the spine of Virginia. Hopefully he'll have good luck with it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    The car was shutting itself off at red lights right before I got rid of it.

...And the new ones look like eggs.

That happened to my 2003 Jetta GLI VR6...and what prompted me to get rid of it for my first STI back in 2006...And your case and mine certainly aren't the only ones I've heard of with this happening either. Scary.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

My parents have a Passat TDI. Very good car. They've been pretty lucky, I think they may have had just one weird issue.

The Golf TDI is intriguing to me. First off, I just like the idea of diesels. The 40-50 mpgs would certainly be nice, and it's probably fairly entertaining to drive. They already have loads of torque and are just a tune away from boatloads of torque, and they have a suspension setup that is somewhere between a regular Golf and a GTI.

If only there weren't so many anecdotal reliability nightmares.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    My parents have a Passat TDI. Very good car. They've been pretty lucky, I think they may have had just one weird issue.

The Golf TDI is intriguing to me. First off, I just like the idea of diesels. The 40-50 mpgs would certainly be nice, and it's probably fairly entertaining to drive. They already have loads of torque and are just a tune away from boatloads of torque, and they have a suspension setup that is somewhere between a regular Golf and a GTI.

I do have one friend with a Golf TDI, and he's never had issues with it AFAIK. Getting 45mpg all day long was a nice perk. Our hybrid barely averages that, although on one long trip we got more than 60mpg, that was neat.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it was all anecdotal for me as well, before my rental Jetta suddenly decided to stop running on a public highway.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

My wife and I thought about the TDI and even test drove it but OF COURSE the salesman had us test drive the GTI before we started talking about the TDI... no way I could ever deal with the flippin turbo lag of the TDI. Maybe with a tune it'd be worthwhile but meh. My wife's GTI gets 26+mpg's on the highway, not as good as the TDI but waaaay more fun to drive as a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboi0427 View Post
    Oh it blows the wrx/sti line out of the water for the interior aspect.l
    Agree there... VW makes some beautiful interiors. Although I feel like they are cheaping down their company again to make it "affordable." The new jettas look like crap!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhead View Post
    Agree there... VW makes some beautiful interiors. Although I feel like they are cheaping down their company again to make it "affordable." The new jettas look like crap!
    This is part of their Beigekrieg! Cheap down the cars, share parts and sell moar! Volkswagen Sales Up 62.5% As Company's Beigekrieg Continues

also check this, http://jalopnik.com/5930559/2012-vol...alopnik-review

My dad and I took a Golf R for a test drive this weekend. I quite liked it. It felt as quick as or close to my car. Exhaust sounded great, but pretty much drowned out the turbo whistle. Interior was very refined and layed out nicely. And the shifting was so smooth, solid, and precise. I had kinda forgotten how nice a proper shifter was.

I really enjoyed the '02 passat I drove for a number of years before I got my wrx, so there probably was a bit of a nostalgia factor coming into play there too.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

they are selling th 2012 R's at good prices to move them off the lots but homestly you are better off buying a 2013 sti over a 13 R
    2012 Volkswagen 6spd man. GTI coupe BFI stage2 torque mount , H&R 24mm rear ARB, AFE STAGE 2 intake system, UR DP+ Magnaflow CBE, s3 shifter, neuspeed TOP and throttlebody pipe . UR mid-chassis brace. Unitronic Stage 2 software, Newsouth boostgauge

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    My wife and I thought about the TDI and even test drove it but OF COURSE the salesman had us test drive the GTI before we started talking about the TDI... no way I could ever deal with the flippin turbo lag of the TDI. Maybe with a tune it'd be worthwhile but meh. My wife's GTI gets 26+mpg's on the highway, not as good as the TDI but waaaay more fun to drive as a DD.
    We have a 2011 TDI... while there is lag the car isn't made to accelerate out of the hole, it's built for MPGs. While on road trips we have been able to double your MPGs but on average we get around 42-45 on HWY. You are comparing apples to oranges. Looks like you went to the dealer to buy an Apple and walked out with an Orange.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX

2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R

Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    We have a 2011 TDI... while there is lag the car isn't made to accelerate out of the hole, it's built for MPGs. While on road trips we have been able to double your MPGs but on average we get around 42-45 on HWY. You are comparing apples to oranges. Looks like you went to the dealer to buy an Apple and walked out with an Orange.
    Went to buy a new car, had no intentions on the GTI. I was just saying the lag was too much for this guy for daily driving.

We can always compare a "chipped" golf r. in 15 minutes and 650 dollars later the golf R is now 315hp and 320 tq. Probably a different story then. Also, the golf r loses some quickness due to the tires they put on it stock. a GTI with the summer performance package tires and a dsg matched the R is 0-60 times. Put those tires on the R and the 315 hp tune and you are prolly looking around 5-5.3 second 0-60 and much better skid pad numbers, the same GTI pulled a .95g on the skidpad according to car and driver.

But stock for stock the wrx and the sti will dominate performance wise and the wrx def has the value battle.

The R has refinement, features, and resale value.

Too soon to tell on maintenance costs, but VW parts are pricey.

FYI - I have an 11 golf tdi, 05 jetta wagon tdi, and an 02 wrx wagon.

agreed, golf r is pretty much a marked down audi s3 ....are you sure about value though because most used (recent)wrxs dont go below 24-26 let alone sti's
    2012 Volkswagen 6spd man. GTI coupe BFI stage2 torque mount , H&R 24mm rear ARB, AFE STAGE 2 intake system, UR DP+ Magnaflow CBE, s3 shifter, neuspeed TOP and throttlebody pipe . UR mid-chassis brace. Unitronic Stage 2 software, Newsouth boostgauge

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast