2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Prior to my '12 WRX purchase, I owned a MkIV Jetta 1.8T. It was easily the most reliable car I ...

Prior to my '12 WRX purchase, I owned a MkIV Jetta 1.8T. It was easily the most reliable car I have ever owned and may ever own. The only issues were a loose radiator hose 2 days after new, and a bad spark plug coil at 90K. I don't see the value in the Golf R. Yes the interior is better than WRX, MS3, and EVO, but isn't any better than most $25K family sedans like Sonata, Mazda 6, Malibu, or even the Mustang GT 5.0. I have not heard otherwise, but the Golf R has the same interior as the vanilla Golf, but with better buckets. I'm 37, and don't consider myself so old that I want to compromise performance for comfort yet. My wife drives the WRX, and I drive a Smart Fortwo due to long commutes for work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As a 2012 R owner i'd like to chime in...

The VW is much easier to live with as a daily, interior is really nice and plush (most of you seem to agree already). The seats aren't great (US version) the EU version gets the "real" bucket seats. but in the performance end, the STI is a purpose built, balls to the wall all the time, monster.

Stock for stock STI has the win for sure, but then again who would keep it stock? lol

My buddy has a 2012 STI and we are pretty much even racing in a straight line, but on curvy roads... well, that is where the STI show's it's powress! the AWD is infinitely better (at the cost of HP to the wheels), and the suspension is just more track ready than the R (again, this is why the R is easier to live with as a daily).

I guess as an overall, the STI is just too much "race" for me... the R is 'soft' enough to live with, yet still has enough balls to hang with the STI's and EVO's... price you say? I got mine cheaper than the STI

I finally test drove a used WRX that had 16k miles on it-a 2011.

Even though I've done my homework, I have to admit I didn't expect the interior to rattle SO much or for the shifter to feel quite so clunky. The drink was rattling at 16k miles.

The engine was wonderful.

It was odd that the steering wheel doesn't tilt up as much as other cars.

Tough decision to make now. The Golf R is a bit more money, but it felt great to drive. It kind of puts a spell on you.

Maybe I'm getting old.

On to the Focus ST drive!

Very interested to hear what you think of the ST.

Are they on lots already?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Very interested to hear what you think of the ST.

Are they on lots already?
    I just got an email from a local dealer here in NY a few days ago. I hope to drive it this week/weekend. I will definitely post.

Quote Originally Posted by hifichip76 View Post
    I finally test drove a used WRX that had 16k miles on it-a 2011.

Even though I've done my homework, I have to admit I didn't expect the interior to rattle SO much or for the shifter to feel quite so clunky. The drink was rattling at 16k miles.

The engine was wonderful.

It was odd that the steering wheel doesn't tilt up as much as other cars.

Tough decision to make now. The Golf R is a bit more money, but it felt great to drive. It kind of puts a spell on you.

Maybe I'm getting old.

On to the Focus ST drive!
    The R is definitely easier to live with on the day to day.

I test drove a GTI recently (DSG and 6 speed). I have to say that if i had any interest in one at the time of my WRX purchase, i may have gone that route. The interior is nicer and more refined than the WRX. The ride was pretty comfortable and it handled pretty well with good pep from the 2.0T motor.

The Golf R would probably be similar with the creature comforts as the GTI Autobahn that I test drove. But with 56 more HP and AWD. But the price is at STI levels, not WRX.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

As many others have said, for me it was the price tag. I liked the VW Golf R for many aspects, interior being one. I compared it to the WRX. The STI was out of my price range and I didn't think the Golf R was as expensive as it was. The one I test drove was about $35k and they were willing to go down to $33k, but that was still too rich for my blood.

Honestly though, if the WRX and the Golf R were the same price, I probably would have chose the Golf R. So far, I am happy with my WRX, but I'm only 375 miles in.

I Support ClubWRX

2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R

Quote Originally Posted by kmpiotowski View Post
    A friend just bought one, paid about 33k, has had it 5 months and is having issues with a grinding noise when turning left. Dealership wont do anything about it.
    Have your buddy check the front axle seals and the struts. My wife's GTI had the same problem. I like her car a lot but too many issues and they're all the time (every 2months), on our 2nd transmission, multiple DSG firmware updates that don't fix anything, of course the usual electrial problems, recalls galore. Don't get me wrong, it has a wonderful fit/finish to it especially compared to my 2012 wrx (which I was very meh about when I looked at the WRX) but the problems that go along with the VW's are too much. Now do those problems continue if you upgrade to Audi? I don't know but I'm not going to spend even moooore money
    Last edited by matsayz; 12-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.

When I bought my Limited '13 WRX, the only other car I was thinking about was a GTI. But I came from a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and it was a nightmare. One of the front cooler fans died before I even got it out of the dealer lot...

Fuel pump died, leaving me stranded - towed to dealer, still under warranty.
    Alternator died, leaving me stranded - towed to dealer, still under warranty.
    Coolant system melted, engine mounts broke.
    Rotors warped, brakes made horrible noises, multiple coil pack failures.
    Everything inside the car squeaked and rattled.
    Headliner sagged.
    Steering wheel shook at anything higher than 55mph - multiple shops and dealers couldn't fix it.
    Car sounded like a box spring mattress even after replacing worn suspension parts.
    All hoses cracked, torn, throwing CEL codes every 2 weeks.
    Cat died.
    O2 sensors died.
    Windows rattled.
    Exhaust rattled, had to have pipe clamps welded back on.
    Oil leaks everywhere.
    Coolant leak left me stranded, not under warranty anymore.
    Passenger side door lock stopped working.
    Both key FOBs fell apart.

The car was shutting itself off at red lights right before I got rid of it.

I will never buy a VW again. Fun to drive, great interiors, but they're just fancied up giant pieces of rectal matter, and I can't afford the repairs.

And the new ones look like eggs.
    Last edited by degobah77; 12-03-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I will never buy a VW again. Fun to drive, great interiors, but they're just fancied up giant pieces of rectal matter, and I can't afford the repairs.

LOL. That's all you had to say.

I'm sure there is some kind of argument to this, but I've heard Audi has the worst service history of any brand (most problems I mean) and VW obviously goes hand in hand. Now I will wait for somebody to curse me out about that statement, but let me point out I do admire the looks of most current Audi models. If I had a ton of money to throw around, I would probably buy a new one as a daily until the warranty was up. But I would not keep it a day later.

My mom used to have this old quattro (typical late 80's / early 90's box style) and that tank had over 175,000 miles by the time she sold it.. but i'll be damned if it wasn't in the shop every 2 weeks or had some kind of leak from some place. At one point, the AC started spraying water in the passenger footwell at random times and would scare the **** out of me. Seriously... how the f**k?
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

For many, this would be a reliable VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

Fuel pump died, leaving me stranded - towed to dealer, still under warranty.
    Alternator died, leaving me stranded - towed to dealer, still under warranty.
    Coolant system melted, engine mounts broke.
    Rotors warped, brakes made horrible noises, multiple coil pack failures.
    Everything inside the car squeaked and rattled.
    Headliner sagged.
    Steering wheel shook at anything higher than 55mph - multiple shops and dealers couldn't fix it.
    Car sounded like a box spring mattress even after replacing worn suspension parts.
    All hoses cracked, torn, throwing CEL codes every 2 weeks.
    Cat died.
    O2 sensors died.
    Windows rattled.
    Exhaust rattled, had to have pipe clamps welded back on.
    Oil leaks everywhere.
    Coolant leak left me stranded, not under warranty anymore.
    Passenger side door lock stopped working.
    Both key FOBs fell apart.

The car was shutting itself off at red lights right before I got rid of it.

I guess I had to learn the hard way!

With SO MANY new VWs on the roads these days (at least in my area), they've really lost their appeal, and while I still admire the looks on some, it's saddening that they will almost all suffer the same fate.

Around 2007 is when the WRX caught my eye (I believe my first exposure was in the movie Hot Fuzz) and I've wanted one ever since. Can't believe I put up with my Jetta for so long.

I Support ClubWRX
    I like a lot of things about the new VW's...even drove a new Passat TDI that really impressed...but after this happened, I pretty much wrote off the idea of buying one for myself:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ar-future.html
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd certainly look into the TDI if it weren't for VW's reputation. When everything is working, they are refined, comfortable, stylish cars with that "German" quality about them. That facade is quickly blown as soon as things start to go wrong on them, though...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.