2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I detailed one ... does that count? lol. I don't know how the R is once tuned and such... but ...

I detailed one ... does that count? lol. I don't know how the R is once tuned and such... but stock for stock it obviously couldn't hang with a WRX... at least a new one anyway IMO. Tuned? I don't know what kind of power they might be making. Seems like a lot heavier car without looking at the numbers. However, the quality of the interior is hands down a hundred times better than our car... then again, it's a lot better than a lot of cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    I went from a 2008 R32 to my 2012 WRX.

VW care and the dealer we're excellent, always doing a great job fixing whatever broke. But I could simply not afford to own a VW without a full warranty. In 4 years and 43,xxx miles I had 6 transmission repairs, 3 AWD system failures, a few electrical issues, a major fuel leak, a steering rack and pinion replaced and I'm sure a few others minor things. VW always went above and beyond and the dealer was always very good, but in the end I could not bring myself to get another VW
    wow man lol... you did have some issues

the GTI has won COTY 5 or 6 times over this last decade.... with all of it's faults I guess they like the overall package. I myself almost bought the GTI. The few things that stopped me were that the lack of power right off the bat and even with mods it wasn't going to get to close to the WRX, my Wife HATES the GTI style... and honestly coming from a 370z, I wanted AWD back. Nice car with great paint, great quality, but overall Subaru has a better reliability from everything i've read, as long as you don't beat on the car to hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    the GTI has won COTY 5 or 6 times over this last decade....
    hah.. so did the merkur xr4ti.. and if you dont know the car, that's exactly how bad of a flop it was.

I love VW's.. but they're like that really hot girl that just isn't trustworthy. Sure she looks good and you can bang her but she'll flake on you, its just a matter of time. Having worked at two VW dealers in a past life.. I can tell you guys very seriously that those cars have issues and very regularly. I also grew up in a VW biased family.. at one point both my parents were running VW's.. Their warranty folks and programs are really good though, and they will take care of you. May the sun, stars and moon help you when the warranty runs out...... that's when the wallet smashing starts lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    30 years of reading the magazines has taught me that their Car of the Year, usually based on 2 days of testing, is nearly irrelevant when it comes time to choose my wheels for the next 5-10 years. Fun reading, though!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

T0rque- Did you ever mod the GTI's?

I have to agree with all previous posters about VW interior vs Subaru interior, there is just no comparison, VW wins very time. I had a GLI that I loved, interior was perfect, and the seats were the best i have ever had in a car, always felt snug in the drivers seat. The WRX interior is less than can be desired and frankly the seats suck. I have a bruise on my upper arm where the curve of the seatback digs into my arm from keeping my hand on the shifter. All that being said, I guess I am more of a purist. I didn't buy the WRX for it's stereo or interior gloss. I bought it becuase it kicks ass on the road and I smile every time I start it and hear that sweet rumble. I prefer my cars a little less refined. I drove my buddy's brandy spanking new Golf R, and yes it was fun, but refined is the best way to describe it. The WRX, IMHO is a Driver's Car.

I wanted to test drive a GTI with a DSG, but the sales associate told me the only ones they had on the lot were 6MTs. I pointed to the used 2008 with the automatic and paddles and he told me that it wasn't a DSG. I started to have concerns that that if the sales associates didn't know the vehicles they were selling that the service department may not know how to properly service them. As a result, I left without test driving anything and never went back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't ever ever judge a technician by a salesman. A car salesman job is a revolving door. All they need to do is know how to talk to people and sign their name. They are lucky to still be working for a dealer a year after starting. NEVER judge a tech like that.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I love VW's.. but they're like that really hot girl that just isn't trustworthy. Sure she looks good and you can bang her but she'll flake on you, its just a matter of time.
    + rep
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    That was pretty good.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Its true mang..

German are at least predictably flaky, unlike their exotic Italian neighbors.... WHEW! .. soo hot.. but soooooo bitchy!
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    The pure fact that the golf r will be worth more than an sti in 5 years..
    Doesn't the WRX/STi and really Subaru's in general often get praised for their high resale values compared with competition?
    2010 Subaru WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
    Doesn't the WRX/STi and really Subaru's in general often get praised for their high resale values compared with competition?
    The high resale value is really area specific up until recently when they plain don't make enough to fill the demands. One way to make a car have a better resale value correct?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I ended up buying a 2011 Golf TDI a year ago. It had 140hp.....BUT 236 ft. tq! / 40mpg awesome city/hwy car car felt good between 30-75mph. IT was a torque monster for sure, especially in the mountains... But like all VW's it failed me, the dreaded HPFP that's common on TDI's occurred. The whole fuel system needed to be replaced ($10k job o-O) good thing i was still under warranty. The day i got the car back from the shop, i went to carmax to get a quote, then i traded her in a couple days later and got outta the VW scene. I ended up with my current car 12 DGM WRX! Buying the VW was one of the worst mistakes i've done in recent years haha shoulda bought a 11 WRX from the beginning!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast