2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX vs. 2012 VW R within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX R32's used to get compared in the old days. The bottom line seemed to be that ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    R32's used to get compared in the old days. The bottom line seemed to be that we're talking about two very different kinds of performance cars, one-biased towards raw performance, the other-biased more towards luxury and refinement. I'm willing to bet that a lot of that money goes to a much nicer interior/fit/finish.

Haven't seen one for myself, though, so what do I know?
    +1

It's just not in the performance league with either the WRX or STI (0-60 time around 5.6 - almost a full second slower)
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    +1

It's just not in the performance league with either the WRX or STI (0-60 time around 5.6 - almost a full second slower)
    True enough, but then the WRX and STI aren't in the same luxury/refinement league as the Golf R. You can't even get power seats on the Subaru.
    That said, I'm willing to bet the features the WRX/STI DO offer will outlast the VW's. Everyone I know with a VW has had serious electrical issues with it after a few years of ownership.

It's pretty hard to break manual seats...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    R32's used to get compared in the old days. The bottom line seemed to be that we're talking about two very different kinds of performance cars, one-biased towards raw performance, the other-biased more towards luxury and refinement. I'm willing to bet that a lot of that money goes to a much nicer interior/fit/finish.

Haven't seen one for myself, though, so what do I know?
    Oh it blows the wrx/sti line out of the water for the interior aspect. Very nice inside. But still, the car as a whole is not worth that amount IMO. I mean msrp is like 33 or so but that dealership I was at had it for 37 and I asked a guy about it and they said yea they probably won't budge on the price since they just got it that week. I guess if you did just want a luxory car that can move a bit then yea. But I wasn't into that yet so there was no way lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the higher-end Golfs were/are German produced, and had a better track record for reliability. (though maybe not a Japanese track record)
    Dunno, never been attracted to the newer VW performance products. A coworker has a Jetta GLI...beautiful workmanship, but nothing about the aesthetics or drivetrain really appeals to me. (except, perhaps, his 6-speed transmission.) The inside is very nice.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    True enough, but then the WRX and STI aren't in the same luxury/refinement league as the Golf R. You can't even get power seats on the Subaru.
    That said, I'm willing to bet the features the WRX/STI DO offer will outlast the VW's. Everyone I know with a VW has had serious electrical issues with it after a few years of ownership.

It's pretty hard to break manual seats...
    Sometimes simpler is better.

My buddy's GTI is a very nice car. 2010, he drives a lot and has 50k miles or so. Aaaaaaand it spent the better part of a month a few months ago going in and out of the shop for some weird engine issues. All sorts of mechanical fixes later, they replaced the ecu to the tune of $1500 and that finally fixed the issue.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Sometimes simpler is better.

My buddy's GTI is a very nice car. 2010, he drives a lot and has 50k miles or so. Aaaaaaand it spent the better part of a month a few months ago going in and out of the shop for some weird engine issues. All sorts of mechanical fixes later, they replaced the ecu to the tune of $1500 and that finally fixed the issue.
    This.

I really really like VWs, BMWs and most german cars... I just don't like the maintenance costs. And the things that go wrong that generally don't on Japanese cars.

Plus value-wise like it's been said the WRX is absolutely a better buy.

I can see liking the more subdued styling of the R or having a couple more amenities, I just don't know if it's worth that much more...

Aside from the VW part, I love the Golf-R.

Oh and the whole being slow part.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Aside from the VW part, I love the Golf-R.

Oh and the whole being slow part.
    If you think the Golf -R is slow you should take a look at a car called the Subaru BRZ, now that's slow.

I Support ClubWRX
    As an owner of both an 11 wrx/sti and a 12 vw GTI I can tell you that DAILY Id rather get in my VW than in my Subaru. I am a long time Subaru fan, I am waiting on my R model to arrive. For those who want to talk about reliability issues here are a couple scenerios I have been placed in during my years of owning both cars.

2005 Subaru WRX STi:
    spoiler broke- SoA Claimed that because of my cat back exhaust my spoiler vibrated more than normal and broke.
    Engine: Number 4 cylinder always made a weird sound 1x,xxx miles the motor noise grew. SoA claimed they had already denied warranty coverage because of the cat back exhaust in the first few thousand miles.

2007 Subaru WRX/STi Limited:
    49,xxx miles multiple visual mods 309hp/318lbs ft to the wheels..
    Center Diff/Front diff/rear axle seal-All replaced under warranty-This vehicle had 2 center diff replacements now
    50,xxx miles: Center diff-Subaru of America NOW claiming (3rd diff replacement) that the modifications is creating the issue

2011 Subaru WRX:
    19,XXX miles
    Weird engine noise: Subaru dealer demanded proof of oil change records. I owned the vehicle at this point for no more than 5 days. I found proof of 4 oil changes (around 19k miles) dealer claimed this was unacceptable. I moved on to SoA at this point as the dealer stood ground on a bulletin written in 2007, the owners manual was written in 2010 for model year 11. SoA accepted 4 oil changes being good enough but said to change the oil every 3,750 miles. Dealer then found "aftermarket timing belt" and the noise was coming from small sheetmetal pieces by the cams rubbing the timing belt. $787 out of my pocket on a car less than a year old. and less than 5 days old to me.

2003 VW GTI VR6- door latch issue covered under vw customer care (part alone at my cost+10% discount was $600)

2008 VW GTI 2.0T- Weird tire problem, dispatched tow truck, picked up GTI, Replaced ALL 4 NEW TIRES. Car sat in the shop for a week while I drove a brand new GTI off the show room floor. Car had less than 2,000 miles at this point

2012 VW GTI 2.0T- Weird paint issue- dropped car off, took brand new car home, picked freshly painted car up 1 week later.

VW Is a complete care buying program currently. First 3 year 36k miles every single bit of maintenance is free. Tire rotates and all 0 cost to you as an owner under those first 3/36. Most VW Dealerships offer free hand wash service as well. Sorry but personally if my WRX/STi wasnt the best bang for the buck performance wise it wouldnt earn a spot in my garage because I can gaurantee the most corrupt bunch of worthless ****s work for SoA Warranty. VW has issues, they have quirks but they stand behind the product with amazing customer service and top notch warranty work.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Your experience is much better than mine with VW. In our family the Passat replaced a Sunfire which was bought back by the dealer because of problems and the VW was still more problematic than the Sunfire. We bought just about the time they were pretending there wasn't a coil pack issue with the 1.8T motor. I don't know how long we went back and forth with that until it was fixed, probably five to six tows early on in its life.

I'll do my best to remember what I can off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more if I looked in the documentation
    Every coil pack had been replaced numerous times, even after the recall. Was like pulling teeth dealing with them every time.
    Multiple axles was either two or three
    tie rods - 2
    air pump -1
    idle air control valve - 2
    Thermostat/coolant sensor - I think that was done twice.

Broken but not fixed:
    electronic led display quit displaying on the dash.
    cigarette lighter stopped working
    Some weird beeping coming from the dash later in life, happened occasionally wasn't able to be reproduced and was never fixed.

Fortunately when the car did work well it worked great. It rode great, it felt solid. . . Though every time you started it you rolled the dice on what the next problem was going to be. Luckily this car was gone before it really started racking up the miles.

While I think SOA's warranty is a joke, overall I think they build a good vehicle. I guess we all have different experiences with cars, and some tend to get lemons, or turds. IMO VW's warranty should be better as if our experience was any indication, it will be needed.

I went from a 2008 R32 to my 2012 WRX.

VW care and the dealer we're excellent, always doing a great job fixing whatever broke. But I could simply not afford to own a VW without a full warranty. In 4 years and 43,xxx miles I had 6 transmission repairs, 3 AWD system failures, a few electrical issues, a major fuel leak, a steering rack and pinion replaced and I'm sure a few others minor things. VW always went above and beyond and the dealer was always very good, but in the end I could not bring myself to get another VW

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove a 2012 Golf R last week to decide whether I buy it and trade in the subi or keep the subi.

I love the 2012 GTI. My only complaints on the 6MT were the pedal heights...no chance of ever heel-toe, and it has become such an everyday part of my commute with this 5MT that after 5 min driving the GTI I was annoyed. The DSG in the GTi almost got me there but not quite.

So I was excited for the Golf-R.

First off the interior is beautiful and the quality of materials is fantastic....but so is the GTI.

The car drives fine but is a little down on torque down low. It feels heavy and the acceleration is sluggish compared to my WRX.

The center exhaust looks bitching and reminds me of my old MINI S.

That transmission is soo butter smooth and shifts great for a cable shift.

The exhaust note is fantastic.

My only complaints were:

1. The damn Pedal heights are the same as the GTI and non adjustable so heel-toe is out.
    2. Its needs more power! The GTI felt faster.
    3. Price. The one I test drove MSRP'd for $37k, although the dealer said hed sell it to me for $33k because it had been sitting on their lot for a few months. Thats STI money and less than WRX performance.
    4. In the interest of driveability and fuel economy, VW (like most mfgs) have downsized the AC compressor. This does not work in 100+ degree Cali days, like the day I test drove the car. AC was on for 15 min and I was still sweating in those leather seats.

I had a 97 Golf, 93 GTI, and I loved those cars. Quirky....yes, funky unnecessarily over German engineerd....yes, but they were just soo fun. I'd buy another VW even if it had problems....but then again I own a Ducati, so I have a soft spot for fun unreliable things .
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 08-08-2012 at 06:51 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    If you think the Golf -R is slow you should take a look at a car called the Subaru BRZ, now that's slow.
    So are Mustang GTs
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd personally not buy without warranty, but everyone is on the same page with that lol

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Guy i work with has both an R32 and an R he just bought. Haven't been in either but they R32 sound amazing and they both look great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.