Subaru WRX Forum banner

2013 GT - 2009-12 WRX comparison

20K views 77 replies 24 participants last post by  Callahan 
#1 ·
I just traded in my 09' WRX for a 13' Mustang GT and I thought I'd talk a little about how they stack up against each other.

First off you can't really compare these cars but I have owned them both so why not?
I loved my WRX for the 3 years I had it, it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.
I originally ordered a 12' wrx, but during the 9week wait I thought to myself, do I really want to trade in for the same exact car with a body kit? No

I test drove a 13' 5.0 and fell in love. It has a completely different presence on the road. It feels planted and composed, it's suprisingly smooth compared to the WRX. Im still breaking it in so I haven't gotten on the throttle hard yet. But I can say there is plenty of power down low compared to the WRX in its stock form, where it was dead below 3500rpm and insane from 4500 to redline.

I bought both cars in Base trim. Interior wise the GT is top notch. The WRX was seriously lacking in this department. The GT has an all black interior including the headliner as apposed to the 2tone cream and black in the WRX. The GT has soft to the touch plastics on the dash so it doesn't creak and squeek in the morning. The GT has steering wheel controls standard ( I didn't know what I've been missing) which are awesome. The keyless entry system is one piece with the key, not a 2piece as in the WRX. The stereo is much better than th WRX which goes without saying. Hid's are standard also, which is nice. MPG wise, the 2 cars are rated the same which is crazy since I now have 2x the cylinders. I'm getting 20 right now ( 90%city) which is great considering I'm in the break in period and I'm giving it more gas than I usually would to vary speeds and rpms.

Things I like more about the WRX than the GT. I like the WRX gauge cluster much more, it's so easy to read and the white on red looks awesome. I'm not gonna lie, that's about it. I live in San Jose, Ca where we don't see any snow and hardly any rain, so AWD isn't necessary for me at this time. The WRX has a bigger trunk opening, but I think the GT has more useable space, especially with the trunk lid arms on the rex that prevent you from putting anything below them.

All that being said, I would without a doubt buy another Subaru, although it was lacking in many areas it's still a great bang for the buck and you can't beat the reliability. The GT's reliabilty is TBD but it seems to be solidly built.

See less See more
#48 ·
Agreed about visibility with the new-gen Mustang. Our family minivan is far easier to "sound out" when negotiating a tight parking space. We've all become accustomed to a different shape of car...most American cars were like this back in the day.

#50 ·
[bites tongue so as not to comment on the reality of dealing with union workers in production environments over 2 decades]

#51 ·
If I had a dime for every time I heard "I hate engineers" or "we don't need engineers" or "Engineers can't come in here and tell ME how to do MY job".... well you know the saying.

#58 ·
Yeah, folks that hail from union families tend to have strong feelings about it. I respect the feeling behind the rhetoric, however it doesn't change what I've observed doing machine installations in both union and non-union plants.

I feel bad for the union plant in Muncie, IN, where I installed 2 different production lines...STRONG union presence, grievances constantly posted, demands for constant raises, crazy benefits for longtermers, constant stoppage of their lines to have meetings, etc. When the overall company was bought out, the new owners looked at that plant, saw how inefficient they were by comparison to others, and closed them down. Hundreds of jobs simply vanished over a period of a few weeks. Yay, union.

Sorry to hurt feelings, but the experience of putting in a line in a non-union facility was nearly always smoother/quicker/more fun. Folks that are supposed to be helping you would simply disappear on a mandated union break for long periods of time, and as a non-union person I would be forbidden from plugging into the controller in an electrical panel that I designed. Everyone loses, because the entire endeavor cost more, took more time, and aggravated my coworkers.

You will also have a hard time convincing me that United Auto Workers is a great thing for America.
I'm sure much of what you think about unions and their necessity was once very true. At this point, people aren't tied down to a geographical area so much, and options abound for those that aren't happy with their job.

Philosophically, I've always had a hard time with the idea that, as an American worker, I should blackmail as much as possible out of my employer. I'm more of an "individual with free will" kinda guy. If I hate my job, my boss, my working conditions, my salary, etc, I'll get off my butt and go find something better.

LOL, been a while since I ranted. :rotfl:

#61 ·
To think, I am the opposite. After owning a 2006 Mustang GT, there is no way I would have considered an updated variant of the S197 platform because of its inherent problems. For those who think the WRX interior is noisy, try owning the S197 for a few years and get back to me. I must have used foam between every plastic part I could think of in my 2006, and I was still discovering new squeaks and rattles every time it cooled off. In fact, I never figured out how to get rid of the constant annoying rattle of the passenger's seat or where the dash pad sat on the AC ducts, despite placing foam between the dash and the AC ducts.

Oh, and I hope Ford addressed the problems with the front strut mounts and rear lower control arms. If not, the OP will find out soon enough what I am talking about.:tongue: One more question, did Ford figure out how to tame the rear end induced bump steer when encountering potholes or severely uneven surfaces in curves or turns? I put a lot of money into my suspension and that was one thing that absolutely drove me nuts because I couldn't stop it no matter how hard I tried.

#62 ·
One more question, did Ford figure out how to tame the rear end induced bump steer when encountering potholes or severely uneven surfaces in curves or turns? I put a lot of money into my suspension and that was one thing that absolutely drove me nuts because I couldn't stop it no matter how hard I tried.
Yes, independent rear suspension has been confirmed for the next revision. Woot.

#70 ·
Congrats on the new ride.. As an auto journalist, I recently had a 2013 Mustang GT for a week, and it was SO much fun! :)

Here's the post I did about it:
Review: 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium - Guys Gab

Ironically, when I bought my 2011 WRX, I had seriously considered getting a 2011 Mustang GT instead. But living in the Northeast, I figured I needed AWD. But let me tell you, the traction control in the new GTs is something else, and with proper snow tires I wouldn't have any qualms driving this car in the winter time.

(I used to drive a '94 Mustang, and that was freaking SCARY in snow, and not much better in the rain)

Ford's come a long way, and hopefully they don't muck things up with the redesigned 2015 Mustang..

#77 ·
Yeah, they haven't added DI to the motor yet either so it's still got room to grow. I'd love to see a FI v6 option, but am eager to see what's coming either way.

I really want a BRZ, but I think at this point I'm going to wait to see what the next versions of vette and mustang bring.

#78 ·
I have owned many Mustangs and love them. I live in Ohio. Having a Mustang GT here means you must have a winter car. The 2013 WRX I now have is a do everything car for me. The 4 doors make it very useful. I like the smaller size vs the 2005+ Mustangs. AWD is a definite plus. With my other interests, finding time to cruise in a garage queen occasionally just wasn't practical. My WRX provides my need for speed anytime I drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.