2011 WRX vs 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX vs 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M but it gets the job done like the Skyline: pure power and a ton of ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    but it gets the job done like the Skyline: pure power and a ton of technology. .... The 5spd auto shifts so well in sport mode I've never touched the "flappy paddles." It downshifts when you would as you approach a turn and it doesn't upshift immediately when you left off the throttle, allowing you to modulate the throttle without interference.
    It's an impressive car by all reports! But, like with the GT-R, it doesn't interest me. I'd rather have 200 less hp, and feel the road, row the gears, drive the car. All personal preference stuff!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All great opinions fellas, sorry it took so long for me to chime in here

He is moreso leaning towards the Boss 302 or a GT500. Took a new 2013 boss for a test run and it DID NOT DISAPPOINT LOL that thing can move man. It was the fastest car I had been in to date (a good bit quicker than the new 392 Challenger) until my buddy Frank took me for a spin in his methanol injection 20GXTR STi LOL put down 411whp... THAT can move lmao

But yeah, basically a newish Boss (less than 2000miles) and the 2011 GT500's are basically around the same price range in the U.S. I think my father is more interested in just a straightline car, I can't really see him carving corners, and since I won't be going in on the car with him now, he is almost definitely going to get some form of muscle car. And after driving the 392 and a Camaro SS, he knows for sure that it is the Mustang he wants. He felt as though it actually felt the best on the road with the best steering, its a lighter car, more power, better noise, etc.

I'm also trying to convince him to just save 10-15K and buy a used 2011-12 5.0 and just build the dam thing Put 10-15K into mods and that 5.0 will run away from a Boss or a 2011 GT500. Gonna have to see what he decides to and which direction he goes: GT500 and do almost nothing to it, Boss 302 and do nothing with it but have an extremely rare car, or get a fairly common 5.0, but build it and turn it into an absolute monster.
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

I just sold my 2006 c2s cab ... $52k car and sold it after 4 months of ownership and bought a 2013 Wrx wrb base model.
    There is no comparison.. The Porsche is a treat to drive and is very fast, the car feels like a natural extension of your body in the corners and is very reliable from 2006-12. Of course the turbo are even better motors. But after 4 months I went through a set of tires, my insurance almost doubled, And I was worried about the possibility of brakes and clutch going at some point. Also the porsche sits in a garage and waits for 4 months of good weather for it to play in to avoid water marks and paint chips, etc. The Wrx is a no wOrry car. I love it.. I am sure I would like an sti more, the body roll is nauseating and the Wrx is underpowered at stage 1. But only a small monthly payment, low insurance and I drive it everyday regardless of weather or shopping, etc.. I won't gO dOwn the Porsche road again until I have a few 100k in the bank and a $5k repair wouldn't bother me, nor the $1500 tires or any other expense associated with a Porsche.. Just my 3 cents of opinion.. I love Porsches !!! But I drive my Wrx everyday. So I love it more

No one is going to believe me but I took my buddy who owns 2010 911 for a ride in my base WRX the day I picked it up from the dealer. He is selling the 911 to a co-worker and buying a STI and putting an in ground pool in his backyard with what's left over from the sale.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesWBL View Post
    No one is going to believe me but I took my buddy who owns 2010 911 for a ride in my base WRX the day I picked it up from the dealer. He is selling the 911 to a co-worker and buying a STI and putting an in ground pool in his backyard with what's left over from the sale.
    What's not to believe? Sounds like a reasonable financial move.
    From a performance perspective, however, given equal drivers, even a base 997 should be able to beat a stock STI in nearly any performance category that doesn't involve dirt or snow.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I believe it

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    What's not to believe? Sounds like a reasonable financial move.
    From a performance perspective, however, given equal drivers, even a base 997 should be able to beat a stock STI in nearly any performance category that doesn't involve dirt or snow.
    A new 997 will demolish an STi in every condition, especially when you consider it can be had with AWD. I would honestly think it wouldor could beat the STi in the dirt and snow as well with the AWD model.

Update to my fathers search...

After test driving a LOT of cars, hes finally narrowed down to a few he may consider. Test drove a 2012 Jag XKR, loved the power, luxury, etc, but getting up there in price, even second hand ones in the US, so that got scrapped. Now looking at a new or nearly new BMW M3. Test drove an M3 sedan and was amazed at is fast revving engine and sublime handling. I thought my WRX handled well... The M3 blew my mind haha

So as of now, he's pretty well set on an M3. We would have gotten the Porsche, but due to maintenance costs and the fact there is no Porsche dealer in Newfoundland, is kind of a scary thought if anything ever went wrong. He won't be buying until the spring, so we have lots of time to look at other options yet as well. Trying to get him to look at a Camaro ZL1 as well

Build Thread Beloww:

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    I'm 100% a Mopar man when it comes to muscle cars, but honestly, if you're looking for performance, I don't think the ZL1 can be beaten. It's not that pricey and it's brand new with all warranty. It beats the more powerful and much more expensive GT500 and thrashes M3s and M5s. It even has solid looks and would get quite a few looks from people on the street. The BMW has been known to take to fun out of driving with electronic aids (in the M5 for sure), and the ZL1 just seems more raw and focused and better value. If it was my money, I wouldn't even be looking at these cars (I'd be going at a 70's Mopar), but the ZL1 seems like the better choice.
    Source for info: 6 years of Car and Driver subscription
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    The ZL1 is definitely impressive, based on the articles I've read by people who have driven it. That said, enthusiast cars are a personal thing..."how it feels" when I'm driving it is far more important than the test numbers that are reported from the track. On a fun, curvy road, I might actually smile more driving a 1968 Lotus Elan, a 2010 911, or any number of less powerful cars than I would a ZL1...which, at over 4000 lbs, fits my definition of porky.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

im only slightly confused. let me see if i got it all right
    1. your father wants a sports car
    2. you want an education
    3. your father is willing to pay for your education
    4. your willing to buy half of a sports car for your father, then have to finance another impreza for the winter
    5. im still confused as to this situation
    6. my advice
    7. keep your wrx, pay it off, use the money you were going to buy half a porsche you cant drive half the year, and pay for your own education
    8. the money your pops saved from not paying for your education can buy him the other half of the porsche
    9. then you have a sweet wrx(who cares if it gets "beat up" during the winter, you were willing to trade it in anyways so it must not mean that much to you lol) and you dad has a sweet porsche all to himself. which im sure he will let you drive once in a while anyways. then when you graduate you can get a porsche all your own, have a wrx as a winter beater. and ride side by side with pops in your dual porsches during the summer.
    10. my advice is strictly opinion, take with a grain of salt, dont listen, do listen, or ignore me completely. cheers!

[EDIT]: just read the post where the OP said he bailed on the porsche, which is probably the best financial decision of your very young life. most of what i said still stands, just substitute porsche for X,Y,Z sports car, whatever your considering going halfzies on lol
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 01-09-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    im only slightly confused. let me see if i got it all right
    1. your father wants a sports car
    2. you want an education
    3. your father is willing to pay for your education
    4. your willing to buy half of a sports car for your father, then have to finance another impreza for the winter
    5. im still confused as to this situation
    6. my advice
    7. keep your wrx, pay it off, use the money you were going to buy half a porsche you cant drive half the year, and pay for your own education
    8. the money your pops saved from not paying for your education can buy him the other half of the porsche
    9. then you have a sweet wrx(who cares if it gets "beat up" during the winter, you were willing to trade it in anyways so it must not mean that much to you lol) and you dad has a sweet porsche all to himself. which im sure he will let you drive once in a while anyways. then when you graduate you can get a porsche all your own, have a wrx as a winter beater. and ride side by side with pops in your dual porsches during the summer.
    10. my advice is strictly opinion, take with a grain of salt, dont listen, do listen, or ignore me completely. cheers!

[EDIT]: just read the post where the OP said he bailed on the porsche, which is probably the best financial decision of your very young life. most of what i said still stands, just substitute porsche for X,Y,Z sports car, whatever your considering going halfzies on lol
    Ill try to clear up a few things for you :P

1. Not going halves on a car at all anymore, that was just a really quick, not-well-thought-out, excited blurb in the beginning when I thought about getting a 911 Turbo. I wasn't being rational haha The porsche wasn't a good choice anyways, considering there is no Porsche dealership in my provicne.
    2. I've decided to either keep my car and build it, as I almost have it paid off, or trade it in next fall on a new STi, I've yet to decide.
    3. My parents decided when myself and my brother were born that they would pay for our educations. The money is coming from a specific education savings accoun, not sure of the exact name. My point is, that money that is saved there can only be used towards an education as such as my father explained it to me. I already offered to pay my own way through school, as I am more than capable, but they already have the money put aside. None the less, a full 6 year degree here in Newfoundland at a Univiersity will cost less than $30K, including all books and everything lol
    4. The car does hold sentimental value to me. It was my first new car and first 'sports car' or what I would certainly deem to be a sports car. Funny as it is, I actually began dating my girlfriend of two years from a foolish comment she posted on a picture of my car that I uploaded to facebook

The ZL1 definitely is impressive, and it is a helluva lot rarer than your standard SS, which are just as common as civics here where I am.. He is going to test drive one as soon as he can. I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but we also test drove a Jag XKR which was quite impressive. I actually created a chart of all the different aspects that my father considered important and then analyzed each individual car on each aspect giving them a score from 1-5. The thing is, he was originally looking for just a powerful musclecar, but then he began to look at things a bit differently (realized hes not 25 anymore :P). He began to put things like comfort, rarity, 'success', higher on the priority list than pure power or speed. He still wants decent power, but doesn't want to have his back broke after driving for a few hours. So right now, the Jag and the M3 are pretty much at the top of his list. Both have great power and both are very vare around here. The Jag leans more towards comfortable cruiser/nuke, while the M3 is the more agile car, leaning more towards the sporty side while maintaining a very decent level of comfort. I was actually shocked when we test drove the M3 at how smooth it drove (MUCH more smooth and comfortable than my wrx), and by how quiet the cabin is while just cruising.

The ZL1 will be taken for a spin when the season comes around, but who knows what he may decide in the end. At least after watching dozens of videos online and test driving most of the vehicles he has considered, he is narrowing down exactly what he truly is looking for. He has said this will be the last sports car he will ever buy, so he is definitely taking his time, doing his research and test driving everything he can before he finally makes his decision.

Build Thread Beloww:

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    I'm 100% a Mopar man when it comes to muscle cars, but honestly, if you're looking for performance, I don't think the ZL1 can be beaten. It's not that pricey and it's brand new with all warranty. It beats the more powerful and much more expensive GT500 and thrashes M3s and M5s. It even has solid looks and would get quite a few looks from people on the street. The BMW has been known to take to fun out of driving with electronic aids (in the M5 for sure), and the ZL1 just seems more raw and focused and better value. If it was my money, I wouldn't even be looking at these cars (I'd be going at a 70's Mopar), but the ZL1 seems like the better choice.
    Source for info: 6 years of Car and Driver subscription
    He's already been there, done that

He previously owned a Cutlass Supreme, 69 Camaro SS, 84 Monte Carlo SS, as well as a 74 Chevy Nova that was street driven but pretty much built to drag with close to or possibly even more than 500hp, massive almost-slick tires, and a 4.88 set of gears in her :P

I would love to own an old classic myself, but its not a DD type of car, and I dont believe in owning a car and being afraid to drive it everyday to avoid scratches and rocks and mileage and rain and all that shat haha

Build Thread Beloww:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12