Can't afford an M3? Get an STI!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can't afford an M3? Get an STI!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So apparently, if I can't afford a Gallardo, I should get a Mustang... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one. (In before ...

I Support ClubWRX
    So apparently, if I can't afford a Gallardo, I should get a Mustang...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one.

(In before the Mustang diehards...)
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    So apparently, if I can't afford a Gallardo, I should get a Mustang...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's a good one.

(In before the Mustang diehards...)
    Well... I did get rid of a 2006 Mustang GT to get the 2012 WRX. Only difference, owning a rustang keeps me from being a mehstang diehard. Of course, my next vehicle purchase will probably be me buying my wife a Genesis Sedan since she likes them so much, and she has a 2011 Genesis coupe.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well those are handsome cars, I like the, the sedan more so than the coupe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is there anything to suggest that the author has actually driven either car? I can also write an article by making baseless comparisons based on magazine specs...but no one should listen to me.

That said, for many middle-class people, a $34K price point for a competent-performing sedan occurs before "diminishing returns" starts happening. I won't spend $90K on a car, on principle alone.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    No it wouldnt. That argument of, if I took the difference in price between car A and car X, and put it towards mods for the cheaper car X, then Car X would totally kick Car A's butt, is one of the stupidest arguments you can have about cars.

Most people would like to buy something that meets their needs, and not have to mod the hell out of it to make it what they actually want. With a bunch of mods you can make your car fast but completely unreliable and forget about your warranty.
    You make perfect sense, I get that... I just said it would be interesting. These two cars should of never have been compared. If you put say $55,000 grand into any car and make it unreliable you are probably the stupidest person to mod a car. How funny it is to argue.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Well those are handsome cars, I like the, the sedan more so than the coupe.
    Agreed. Although the Genesis R-Spec 5.0 is a disaster, much like the Ford Taurus SHO.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Because of all the other large sedans that make 429 hp, 0-60 in 4.8, run low 13s @ 107 mph, and get 25 mpg are better in what way? Oh, and be sure those aren't priced at over $47k. What does that leave you with?

They do offer the 5.0 without the R-spec package too, if you just want power and comfort combined.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Because of all the other large sedans that make 429 hp, 0-60 in 4.8, run low 13s @ 107 mph, and get 25 mpg are better in what way? Oh, and be sure those aren't priced at over $47k. What does that leave you with?

They do offer the 5.0 without the R-spec package too, if you just want power and comfort combined.
    Charger SRT 8

I Support ClubWRX
    be sure those aren't priced at over $47k. What does that leave you with?
    It leaves you with a $47,000 Hyundai. I really want to like Hyundais (I ride in them daily in Korea), but I can't get past the cut rate interiors. Sure, there's lots of fancy tech standard, and there are niceties like heated and cooled seats, nice LCD displays, etc, but none of that sufficiently masks the the cheap-feeling leather, nasty plastics, and so-so ride. The suspension isn't terrible, but it's not as refined as I would expect out of a car at this price point. All of these quibbles are excusible for a $25k car, but at nearly $50k, I expect a bit better.

I feel like if I bought a Genesis, I'd forever be laughed at for not buying a BMW 5-series, and to be honest, I'd be asking myself the same question. Sure, you'll get less hp, but I love the 5-series suspension setup and well appointed interior.

I have nothing against Hyundais and Kias in general, in fact, I've seriously considered the Optima (called the K5 in Korea), I just couldn't justify spending more than $30k on one, and even that is pushing it.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    My exact thought about the Korean cars. I am sure they are nice. I see lots of Sorentos ,Optimas, Velosters,etc around nowadays. One of our admins even bought one.

They do offer the 10 year/100k warranty powertrain warranty though. I guess we will find out in a couple of years if reliability has improved & how good the warranty is. But I remember the older cars being complete garbage in terms of build quality & reliability. It is hard to shake off the image.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    My exact thought about the Korean cars. I am sure they are nice. I see lots of Sorentos ,Optimas, Velosters,etc around nowadays. One of our admins even bought one.

They do offer the 10 year/100k warranty powertrain warranty though. I guess we will find out in a couple of years if reliability has improved & how good the warranty is. But I remember the older cars being complete garbage in terms of build quality & reliability. It is hard to shake off the image.

if you go back 15 years then yes i agree. I bought a 2002 kia spectra gsx brand new and loved that car. In 5 years the only thing that i had go wrong with it was two bad door sensors, a fading piece of plastic in the hatch and a headlight bulb after 5 years. All were replaced under warranty no questions asked (other than the bulb). It was a great car no problems and low maintenace up to 60K when i sold it. My only complaints about the car was that the rims were pitting and the resale value. Other than that i loved the car.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

You also see the reverse image issue. People still buy dodge, jeep, chrystler products because of the image from teh old Hemi days. I own a jeep, love the car, but it has had nothing but problems. It will pass everything but a gas station or a dealership for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    Charger SRT 8
    I'd pick that one over the Hyundai just because I want more sport than luxury but the two cars really don't compete in the same arena. Nobody shopping for one is really considering the other. Besides, the fact that the performance of the latest SRT8 is equal to that of a Hyundai luxury sedan really says something for the Koreans. I plan to grab a 5yr old 300C SRT8 in the near future - they're a great choice for a $20k used car.

I feel like if I bought a Genesis, I'd forever be laughed at for not buying a BMW 5-series, and to be honest, I'd be asking myself the same question. Sure, you'll get less hp, but I love the 5-series suspension setup and well appointed interior.
    That might get you a stripper 5 series but add any options and you'll add a huge chunk to the price. I happen to have a 4.6 Genesis in the family and have no issues with the quality of its leather. It's true that the ride is a little too "busy" for my taste but that is said to be improved with the current models. The Genesis is not as sporty as BMW or Mercedes on purpose, yet the fact that it compares with them at all is a testament to how far Hyundai has come. Don't get me started on the Equus

I just couldn't justify spending more than $30k on one, and even that is pushing it.
    I wonder how many people still say that about Lexus - it's just a tarted-up Toyota. I think it's more like getting $60k worth of car for $47k than it is getting a clunker with a nice stereo & leather slapped in. Besides, you can find them for $42-43k at many dealerships, or you can save a few thousand more by skipping the Rspec package.

My mother has an Azera that she bought the month they were introduced. It has more interior room than the Grand Marquis it replaced (and the 7 series of that era too). Over 5 years later it is flawless and she's got another 5 years to go on the powertrain warranty. The "cheap" leather in that car still looks new. If the new version of the Azera is any indication, the next refresh of the Genesis will be very interesting.

It's not like I haven't seen "nice" interiors. There are LS430 and LS460s in the family. I have driven my brother's CL65 AMG over 1600 miles in the past month and there's certainly nothing cheap about its interior. Hell, the seats in my 20 year old Lexus are so comfortable I'd drive 1000 miles in one stretch without complaint.

I also have an 03 Dodge Ram and it has held up well over the past 9 years. I've needed zero repairs, it looks & drives great, and I'm sure it'll go another 100k miles easily. The modern Chrysler/Dodge vehicles are far beyond the buckets they were in the 90s. The current crop of the last year or two is the best yet. I do get 9 mpg in town but that's mostly my foot's fault.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    That might get you a stripper 5 series but add any options and you'll add a huge chunk to the price.
    Yes, I'll admit this. The 5-series base price has shot through the roof in recent years.

I happen to have a 4.6 Genesis in the family and have no issues with the quality of its leather. It's true that the ride is a little too "busy" for my taste but that is said to be improved with the current models.
    It's not. I travel to Korea very frequently, and can say the ride in the brand new ones is still pretty mediocre. It's certainly more comfortable than my WRX, but it feels busy, like you said, and I would expect a lot more sound deadening. The road noise is just as loud as my wife's Honda (not sure if that's a burn on the Hyundai or props to the Honda).

The Genesis is not as sporty as BMW or Mercedes on purpose, yet the fact that it compares with them at all is a testament to how far Hyundai has come. Don't get me started on the Equus

I wonder how many people still say that about Lexus - it's just a tarted-up Toyota. I think it's more like getting $60k worth of car for $47k than it is getting a clunker with a nice stereo & leather slapped in. Besides, you can find them for $42-43k at many dealerships, or you can save a few thousand more by skipping the Rspec package.
    Where did I say the Genesis was a clunker? It's not a bad car, just not one I want to spend $47k on.

The new Equus' (Equui?) are really, really nice. Certainly comparable to Lexus or Mercedes. The first gen ones (1999-2008) were not so great, perhaps about the same as a basic Lincoln Town Car. Loaded with fake wood-looking plastic, Kia Rio buttons, and very plain dash. Comfy ride, though.

Lexus prides itself on how quiet their cars are. As far as interior design, noise, and ride quality, they are still ahead of the Koreans by a good margin (which has narrowed a lot in the last 10 years, granted).

Personally, I think the Ssangyong Chairman trumps both the Kia and Hyundai flagships. The Chairman borrow Mercedes S-Class engines and transmission. Lots of power, great ride, and nice amenities.

I also really like the look of the upcoming Kia K9. I snapped this pic in the airport. Check out the fully LED headlights!

2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Our Kia van has served nicely...coming up on 100,000 miles now of hard family duty. One thing has gone wrong...at ~40K on the clock, the headlight assemblies somehow developed an issue with wiring. The dealer didn't want to pay for the fix, which was going to be replacing both assemblies at a total cost of $700. I went up the ladder to their regional management, making a simple case: "This is my first experience with Kia...I've never had issues like this with the Toyotas/Subarus that I've owned. Would you like to guarantee that you sell no more cars to me?" They went in halfsies for the fix. I wasn't completely happy, but at least they worked with me on it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.