New to forum.. 08 or 09+ wrx

This is a discussion on New to forum.. 08 or 09+ wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone on clubwrx, I am graduating highschool this year and have a great job im currently at. I know ...

Question New to forum.. 08 or 09+ wrx

Hello everyone on clubwrx,
    I am graduating highschool this year and have a great job im currently at. I know the 09+ wrx is much faster than 08... however will it be better on long highway commutes? I am a very controlled and responsible driver and i don't screw around much... Will the 08 suit my needs more. I plan on going either perrin or cobb stage 2 with turboback exhaust and wicked innovation protune. Which will be more reliable i suppose is the question. haha
    Thanks for responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A quality custom reflash will be better than a base map, since it's tailored to your car rather than a generic one-size-fits-all solution.

Drive both, see which one you prefer.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A quality custom reflash will be better than a base map, since it's tailored to your car rather than a generic one-size-fits-all solution.

Drive both, see which one you prefer.
    Yeah I planned on getting a true dyno tune. So besides the difference in power, they will both be as reliable as the other? I was researching the 08 and alot of people had welds breaking that held the clutch pedal together. And the 09 was having some engine problem between july-sept. I do alot of research. either way il get one or the other. I love subies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STIdreamn
    Yeah I planned on getting a true dyno tune. So besides the difference in power, they will both be as reliable as the other? I was researching the 08 and alot of people had welds breaking that held the clutch pedal together. And the 09 was having some engine problem between july-sept. I do alot of research. either way il get one or the other. I love subies.
    A custom tune, in theory (assuming the person making the map is competent), should be as safe / safer than the base map, due to the fact that they can make adjustments based on feedback.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

why get the slower one when you plan to mod anyway? youll regret not spending the extra few grand when you need to spend it on mods. youll always be 40hp less than you could be... plus 08 has a stupid rear bumper.

I have the 09 with the build date of June and July stage 2 set up it rocks!!!! If you are driving long commutes you might just want to leave the stock cat back and just go for the down pipe. Power is not everything Stock is still fun to drive but the mod bug well bite you. *****good luck D
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

WRX/STi are firm believers in fixing what's not broken. If you are a safe driver and aren't tempted easily you should start considering the alternatives like a Smart Car or Prius. I have owned a 09 WRX and it started out as a daily driver....ended up getting smoked by a honda civic and began my Road to Excellence with my build. Now I'm in a Fully Built 2011 and I am very difficult to push considering with my power most the cars on the street are a waste of gas unless it's a fellow Subie lover. Just saying.....Go big or get a Scion!

I Support ClubWRX
    I never understood these threads trying to decide between 08 and 09....just buy a 2010. You get the best of both worlds with less worry of engine failure.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I never understood these threads trying to decide between 08 and 09....just buy a 2010. You get the best of both worlds with less worry of engine failure.
    I'd love too. However I want to have fun money at the end of the month. haha. Anyhow, I am now looking at 07 wrx's too. I don't want to go over 60,000mi though. Is the 07 strong at stage 2? any common problems to look out for when buying one? Thanks