Real world comparison for a new DD:'12/'13 WRX and '13 SI - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Real world comparison for a new DD:'12/'13 WRX and '13 SI within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Some stats, granted they are just numbers, but they don't seem to show the Si handling better than the WRX, ...

Some stats, granted they are just numbers, but they don't seem to show the Si handling better than the WRX, which is how I felt when I drove the two back to back a few months ago. I discovered this data after I made the purchase (actually when we stuck up this conversation today) but I still find the it interesting. In the end who cares right? Its all for fun anyways, but I thought this was interesting nonetheless and I believe Inside Line is a credible source.

Track Test Results 2011 WRX Edmund's Inside line:
    Acceleration, 0-30 mph (sec.) 1.8
    0-45 mph (sec.) 3.4
    0-60 mph (sec.) 5.3
    0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 5.1
    0-75 mph (sec.) 8.1
    1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.8 @ 98.2
    0-30 mph, trac ON (sec.) 2.8
    0-45 mph, trac ON (sec.) 4.9
    0-60 mph, trac ON (sec.) 6.8
    0-60, trac ON with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 6.5
    0-75 mph, trac ON (sec.) 9.7
    1/4-mile, trac ON (sec. @ mph) 14.9 @ 96.6
    Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 28
    60-0 mph (ft.) 114
    Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 68.8
    Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) ESC ON 68.3
    Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.90
    Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) ESC ON 0.89

Track Test Results 2012 Civic Si - Edmund's Inside line:

Acceleration
    0-30 (sec): 2.6 (2.9 with T/C on)
    0-45 (sec): 4.6 (4.8 with T/C on)
    0-60 (sec): 6.9 (7.1 with T/C on)
    0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.6 (6.9 with T/C on)
    0-75 (sec): 10.1 (10.2 with T/C on)
    1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.1 @ 93.1 (15.3 @ 93.1 with T/C on)

Braking
    30-0 (ft): 29
    60-0 (ft): 120

Handling
    Slalom (mph): 67.3 (62.8 with T/C ON)
    Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.86 (0.84 with T/C ON)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I am not sure where you guys get your parts from but with $10,000 into the civic engine, you better be making upwards of 600hp. You are either paying a shop to do all the basic work for you, or you are buying unnecessary parts.

As for wheel spin, you will get that with RWD just like with FWD. It is part of the driving experience to learn how to control it. And you also have to tune your car accordingly. You can't tune your car to have 400whp in every gear and expect it to hook off-the-line. The fine tuning such as boost-by-gear and a traction bar takes care of these issues. This isn't rocket science and this is why you started seeing FWD Hondas running 8 sec 1/4 passes in the past decade. The kids grew up and realized that you can't just throw some parts together on a car and expect it to be fast.

If we are going to start comparing how much it costs to build a fast car and start bringing older chassis into the conversation, I am not even going to get into that because you could have a 10sec Civic for under $6,000 including the cost of the car and you will bounce it off the rev limit all day.. and as long as the engine builder isn't a moron, it will take it.

I am going to say once more that numbers on paper don't always translate into real world experience. AWD shaves off a good bit of time off-the-line. That is where most of that difference is in acceleration. I don't launch the hell out of my brand new WRX so that is why to me it doesn't really feel any quicker than ~200hp FWD.

As for torque... stock WRX and the word TORQUE shouldn't even be in the same sentence. Stage2 wakes it up A BIT.. but still. The overall response is pretty disappointing and it not what it is hyped up to be.

There is hype around every vehicle that has a following. I am just stating my opinion. AWD has its benefits for off-road and extreme weather conditions and the WRX shines there but as far as spirited driving on a dry road, I am just not feeling it and it is just my opinion based on all the cars I've owned.

Hi Rexload,

That's cool man, I respect your opinion Forgive me if I don't respond to all of your points as we are getting off topic, but I will leave you with this, the 2012 WRX is a larger, faster, better handling, better stopping car than the civic Si PERIOD. That is not "hype", it is a statement of fact. A point that many industry experts, who disapproved of the new Si, would likely agree with. If you like the Civic Si better than the WRX, for whatever reason, that's cool man, I respect that and after all, this thread is about real world comparisons of the Civic vs WRX. But, as someone who has also driven both cars, I disagree with your assessment.

The Civic comes with all seasons vs summers on the WRX. That could explain some of the differences between perceived handling by owners and test numbers.

I've owned an 06 Si for six years and loved the car and at 22k your getting a trim level probably a bit more closer to the WRX premium.

My 07 Si was a reliability nightmare. It came with an oil leak from day one, which took a year and a half of incredible persistence to get fixed and I had the 3rd gear problem that was widely publicized. Honda refused to fix it, even after a TSB was issued. I got rid of it and got a 2008 GTI. The few repairs I had were done quickly with no questions asked and I loved it.

When the Si wasn't acting up or in the shop, it was a blast to drive and a great bargain...but I spent more time trying to get it fixed than any other car I've had.

Honda's quality and customer service are in the toilet. It was my third and final Honda. The just don't care if you buy another one or not.

My MS3 is perhaps the best car I've ever had, so far.

Trying to decide between WRX and Golf R (and a few others).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123