Subaru WRX Forum banner

crovette vs 2011 STi

25K views 233 replies 48 participants last post by  rage-wrx 
#1 ·
so my dad bought me a 2011 wrx sti for my 17th birthday, after a month of having the car, he finally asks to drive it, of course i say yes, he gets in and after taking a 45 minute drive, begins looking online at evo's and STi's for himself just because he loved the way the AWD and the way the car feels. then he asks me, he has a 2009 corvette sport, he asks what car is quicker? i told him, straight line, vette would **** on the sti, i dont know much about racing or the vette but i said that around a track the sti would win. so waht do you guys think?

#3 ·
Unless there's black ice on the tarmac my money would be on the Chevrolet.

Tell your dad to sell the STi, buy a Honda Civic for daily driving (or a Honda Jazz, brilliant use of space, sporty, fun, and over 36 mpg with a motor that's still tight from needing break in, very impressive), and buy himself a Corvetter for summer.

#5 ·
The Corvette would slap the STi silly around anything with Tarmac. It was designed as a sports car, not an economy car with a trick differential and a turbocharger. The same can't be said about the Subaru.

#6 ·
The newer generation of Corvettes are VERY quick around a track.. the STi would fair better in a straight line (and get **** on as you said). That's assuming the driver of the Corvette has experience on the track. The STi would probably be easier to drive through the corners for a novice, but that's about it.

Now if you put about $12,000 in suspension upgrades on the STi, and did some weight reduction, it would hold its own through the corners..

#8 ·
I'm 17.

#10 ·
My dad took me to the bank when I was 17...so I could withdrawal 800 dollars from my bank account that I made while working at toys r us so I could go buy an 87 Ford Temp. It was a sweet 2 door tempo....yeah....the OP is lucky I still don't have that tempo...I would take it to the track and show him whats up.

#14 ·
Is a "crovette" some sort of black on black "Edgar Allen Poe" limited edition Corvette?

I begged my parents to pay half of a old Jetta for a first car. They even took me to a few dealers for some test drives... then said no. I rode my bike, bummed rides off friends, and occasionally drove the family minivan until I was 21.

#16 ·
Oh god. You really need to get over yourself or you will not make many friends in life.

Just in case you're wondering: Friends > money

Reactions: Drews
#26 · (Edited)
Nobody's picking on you because you got your dream car as a present, it's more the attitude you present to others about how "priviledged" your life is. Since I would imagine you know very few people on the forum, commenting about their upbringing, which you know nothing about, is inappropriate. I could very well have extremely wealthy parents but they decided to teach me the value of a dollar and working for things you get in life instead of handing me anything I wanted.

#25 ·
Kid, you're 17, and fighting on the internet is pathetic, so I'll let it go, but I never passed any judgement on what your parents choose to spoil you with, no need to insult mine. Just be tactful and polite and we'll all play nice.

Money had nothing to do with their choices, by the way. Instead of a car, they paid for my college (which is by far the better deal).

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
^^^ +1

Like many of you, I waited a long time to get to a point I could get cars I actually wanted instead of it being just what I could afford - hell, my '11 WRX is the first NEW car I have bought for my car (wife always got the new rides because they were carrying the kiddies). I would have loved it had my folks bought me a car at any point, but ... instead I was left begging for the keys to mom or dad's car ...

... but too many of you immediately tagged this kid as a spoiled brat who would somehow give a bad name to Subaru and endangers others on the road. That ain't cool. All he did was ask an unrelated question and get pooped on by a bunch of you. Wasn't his fault his 'rents bought him a car. I'm jealous, but I'm not going to hold it against him. I'm a little disappointed in the overall reaction - this is not NASOIC where everyone flames everybody for everything. It would have been better if he had handled his responses better, but it's not like anyone was real nice to him either. Just my opinion on all this, but ... :soapbox:

#30 ·
Not trying to start any arguments with anybody, but just an FYI: he was immediately jumped on bc he has made quite a few posts on other threads bragging about his...er, his family's wealth, getting what he wants and anyone who isnt as privelidged is less of a person, and about racing on the street to near speed limiter velocities bc his "friend was calling his a pu*** from the passengar seat." So you might foregive the kneejerk reaction that was recieved as it continues to be relevant.

#31 ·
I'm willing to give him another chance after the racing scenario. Whatever, I'm human.

The response I quoted earlier, however, deeply saddens me. I respectfully hope my children grow up with similar attitudes should I decide to provide for them... :(

I admittedly also enjoy the fact that his screenname (Mike193) is remarkably similar to Mikie13 so I just imagine it's Mikie13 and it makes me laugh.

#50 ·
I admittedly also enjoy the fact that his screenname (Mike193) is remarkably similar to Mikie13 so I just imagine it's Mikie13 and it makes me laugh.
I know...it keeps throwing me off too...and I keep thinking I'm a 17yo douche myself...:sadwave:

#32 ·
Back on topic, your dad should keep his Corvette and maybe buy a track day lesson if he wants to get the most out of it. With a trained driver on dry tarmac, his Corvette will be much faster than an STI.

Sent from using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Can we all talk about an STi being someone's dream car? Aren't dream cars ones that are for arguments sake unattainable? My dream car is a pagani zonda. I can afford an RS4 and a GTR(which i didnt buy btw) but i know i will never have the income for a Pagani. Ho hum.

Silly boy, you are only 17. You haven't had enough time on this god forsaken planet for your dreams to be crushed and destroyed. ;)

Reactions: Drews
#38 ·
Corvettes are slow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.