Subaru WRX Forum banner

crovette vs 2011 STi

25K views 233 replies 48 participants last post by  rage-wrx 
#1 ·
so my dad bought me a 2011 wrx sti for my 17th birthday, after a month of having the car, he finally asks to drive it, of course i say yes, he gets in and after taking a 45 minute drive, begins looking online at evo's and STi's for himself just because he loved the way the AWD and the way the car feels. then he asks me, he has a 2009 corvette sport, he asks what car is quicker? i told him, straight line, vette would **** on the sti, i dont know much about racing or the vette but i said that around a track the sti would win. so waht do you guys think?

#178 ·
I'm intrigued with attitudes about all of this...though I now make efforts not to judge. The truth is that most of us are "spoiled" in some way or another; all you have to do is look back a couple of generations at what the average person had at age 17.

I lucked into a 12-year-old boat of a car when I turned 16 (my grandfather couldn't get much tradein on it, and decided to give it to me) It was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me, and I couldn't believe my luck. Many of my friends had no car of their own at all, and I had expected that to be my situation. Did I "deserve" it? No. I was the lucky beneficiary of someone's generosity.

Years ago I went back and forth with another kid here, who had been given an STI by his parents. He maintained that he had earned it by making good grades in high school. OMGjustadmitthatyou'reluckyashellalready! :tongue:

#179 ·
Oh I know I was lucky. My parents thought of it as doing something nice for their son that they were never able to get as kids. I got a 96 Acura Integra...it was an awesome little car that I put my heart and soul into taking care of :cool: Til it got stolen off my college campus :mad:

#180 ·
My oldest is nearly a teenager, and I'm beginning to see another side to it. It's damned handy having a kid that can drive. It gets them "off your plate", so you're not constantly carting them from one place to another, and they can pick up the younger kid when needed.

Once she's shown me that she's a decent driver, I'll probably get something for her to drive..it won't be new, or high-powered, though. I'll let her enjoy the thrill of buying her first new car on her own dime, as I did. ;)

#181 ·
My parents made me buy my cars, but they paid for my insurance; made me appreciate the hard work that went into getting the car, and rewarded me for being the responsible kid.

#182 ·
Just for some reference, the average speed at Laguna Seca in a star mazda is 75mph. The average speed at VIR is 103mph. So there is a pretty substantial difference. I do not let this test bother me though. I enjoy my car and it is plenty fast enough for a daily driver at stage II. In the future I may track it but would rather invest the money in some type of open wheel car. So much more fun. That being said, A 50hp shifter kart would probably give a lot of these cars a run for their money around a lot of tracks. I do not think that car and driver hosted this event at VIR to make Subaru look bad. It just so happens to be the track they chose.

#184 ·
dont listen to all the hate, my WRX has beaten MANY c5 and c6 corvettes, it all depends on launch and driving, 9/10 of the corvettes I line up against spin rear tires for the first 1/8th mile and just catch me as the hit the finish line. The last corvette I raced we were dead even till 120 then he started walking me at about 130. Corvettes are awesome dont get me wrong but they are not a hands down win vs any decent car. Its all about rubber to the road imo

#186 ·
^^ I can't see real good. Is that guy serious?

I wait NOW I see it! A 3200lb AWD car with 265bhp 4-banger vs. a 3100lb 2WD car with a 430bhp 8-cylinder. Obviously the WRX is much faster in a drag race.

:rolleyes:

#187 ·
Obviously you've tried racing every corvette who has no earthly idea they know how to launch. Someone knows how to launch a Vette and you're toast, plain and simple. That or maybe they just catch up to you when they finally figure out you were racing...either one.

#188 ·
yea, i could imagine even rolling off the line like he's pulling away at an intersection, realizing he's in a race and goes, "oops, guess I should go" and then you go, "hey that guys plate says SMOKEDU"

#193 ·
I bet this thing could spin tires 1/8th mile down the track...or at least on suby hoods..Maybe we should save this suby from this genius and its eventual grave. In some aspects I miss my '92 Loyale/GL. At least I know it is taken care of and still running strong...or at least running...

monster lawnmower - YouTube

#203 ·
Yeah that's what I halfway recall as well...that's why I thought it was weird. Then I logged on and saw all the dumb posts I'm part of being bumped again by virtually saying the same thing: "My 2011 WRX is the most fasterestest super car in the whole wide worldz yo!!!"

#204 ·
last time he got on he was spewing humble pie. Obviously he didn't care for the taste.

#205 ·
Im late to the party :p

Regarding the spoiled kid subject though, i personally dont care, but if your gonna have that infamous attitude then dont expect me to talk to you. But what pisses me off more is the attitude people give before they even know anything, not defending OP as he made his situation pretty clear, but im 18, and i just bought myself a '12 wrx, how? Well i have always worked like a hog and have gotten myself a manager position, all while going to school full time and having them give me scholarships that come out to double the tuition, so i hate when people assume things and label me as a spoiled kid on first glance when i havent even opened my mouth

Glad the Op got over his attitude though!

#206 ·
Regarding the spoiled kid subject though, i personally dont care, but if your gonna have that infamous attitude then dont expect me to talk to you. But what pisses me off more is the attitude people give before they even know anything, not defending OP as he made his situation pretty clear, but im 18, and i just bought myself a '12 wrx, how? Well i have always worked like a hog and have gotten myself a manager position, all while going to school full time and having them give me scholarships that come out to double the tuition, so i hate when people assume things and label me as a spoiled kid on first glance when i havent even opened my mouth
Everyone here gave the op the benefit of the doubt and tried to play nice and give him advice but when he kept saying things along the lines of "well sorry my family is richer than you" people's kindness kind of fades away pretty quickly....

#207 ·
Nah im not defending op, thought i made that clear in my post, im just saying in general, how most people judge immediiately when they see a kid in a new car, that just bothers me. When i work very hard for what i have amd get judged for it like if i was some spoiled brat like the op, its very aggravating

#208 ·
I understand completely how you feel. I went through the same thing. I started working at 15 and saved all my money and at the age of 20 I was able to afford, and mod a very very nice BMW 330ci and everyone who didn't know me thought my parents bought it for me. It annoyed the crap out of me because of how hard I worked my butt off to get it. I'm also a very very humble person, I don't ever brag or gloat about anything and because my father is a physician, I always heard "oh well it must be nice being a Dr's son!". When the truth is, my parents never ever spoiled me or bought my nice fancy things. I've always purchased things with my own money and supported myself.

#209 ·
Yeah exactly, even better when since they think that your a spoiled brat they dont think you know anything, when in reality i know more about their car than they do and could perform work on it that they could never do haha, on my previous car i went as far as taking apart the transmission myself in the driveway in a few hours

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.