crovette vs 2011 STi - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

This is a discussion on crovette vs 2011 STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Interesting enough article...but its telling us things about the WRX and STI that we already know...WRX may be faster, and ...

Interesting enough article...but its telling us things about the WRX and STI that we already know...WRX may be faster, and partially due to gearing in straights, but cannot outhandle the STI out of the box. We know they understeer...we know that the Evo is just a little bit better. We know the WRX stock brakes aren't made for tracking (duh, stupid C&D driver)...and the biggest thing is...I love how this makes "classes" of cars and then compares them. Obviously all these cars are made to do different things...apples to oranges comparison, so I can't really buy into it. Cool little study, and nice to use if you want something that is all about how fast you can lap a track, but not realistic.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its also complete BS if you ask me. Virginia International Raceway is the track the chose? Come the eff on. That track is not a difficult setup at all, completely advantageous to 2WD cars. They shoulda done the 'Lightning Laps' on something like Mazdas Laguna Seca. Woulda showed different results for sure... And I hate hearing all the cobalt fanboys bringing up this lightning lap crap all the time thinking their SS is 'faster than an STi or Evo'...

Phew, there's my rant, my apologies
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

Yeah, maybe they just should have done it in two feet of snow or in a lake so we can has benefit.

Would have been more fair then going on VIR where the average speeds of some of the cars were 110+ mph... AVERAGE speed over 3+ minutes. That track is purely top end speed track, and like I said obviously the V6's and V8's are gonna demolish our cars there. Laguna Seca woulda been much more appropriate and a better test of the cars' overall abilities. There's a reason why manufacturers use their Nurburgring lap times as a sales point and not VIR for example which is on home soil and is much more accessible.

I'm not saying any of those cars are bad, I for one Love the new 5.0, was actually in the market for one of those before I got my WRX. But honestly, when similar priced 2WD cars are averaging that high a speed for that long, it's pretty clear that AWD is not an advantageous factor for that track. Simply put, it only hinders as opposed to contributing on that particular track.

Build Thread Beloww:

So it would have been more "fair" to do it on a tighter track where it would be more advantageous for the subaru and where it would be a better test of the cars capabilities as top end isn't one? Maybe they just should have bench raced them instead, then we could get back to talking about interiors.

No matter what, someone is going to cry foul.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

No matter what, someone is going to cry foul.
    Exactly...that's why I said its funny comparing cars that are made to do different things differently.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Would have been more fair then going on VIR where the average speeds of some of the cars were 110+ mph... AVERAGE speed over 3+ minutes. That track is purely top end speed track, and like I said obviously the V6's and V8's are gonna demolish our cars there. Laguna Seca woulda been much more appropriate and a better test of the cars' overall abilities. There's a reason why manufacturers use their Nurburgring lap times as a sales point and not VIR for example which is on home soil and is much more accessible.

I'm not saying any of those cars are bad, I for one Love the new 5.0, was actually in the market for one of those before I got my WRX. But honestly, when similar priced 2WD cars are averaging that high a speed for that long, it's pretty clear that AWD is not an advantageous factor for that track. Simply put, it only hinders as opposed to contributing on that particular track.
    If you look at the cars listed in our class, V6 Mustang and Genesis, they have ~40 more HPs than we do as well, without the parasitic drivetrain loss of AWD. I'd say we fair pretty well.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

that's what I was thinking...

Its crazy because i see both sides of this.. my parents are FAR from rich.. and i am 17 as well. i spent over 2 and a half years working full time while i was home schooled to pull about 16k. my parents were happy to take out a loan to cover the difference while i paid for insurance.. and split the monthly payments, i got a 2011 wrx wgn. and i couldnt be happier or more grateful. i also understand how bad it looks when kids are given 36k cars and are cocky about it like they "deserve it" i worked very hard for it and was still given a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by ronkon View Post
    Its crazy because i see both sides of this.. my parents are FAR from rich.. and i am 17 as well. i spent over 2 and a half years working full time while i was home schooled to pull about 16k. my parents were happy to take out a loan to cover the difference while i paid for insurance.. and split the monthly payments, i got a 2011 wrx wgn. and i couldnt be happier or more grateful. i also understand how bad it looks when kids are given 36k cars and are cocky about it like they "deserve it" i worked very hard for it and was still given a lot..
    If this is true I salute you. Better off using it on college though. Congrats on your car man enjoy it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

My parents have always helped me. They bought me a car in HS, but that's because they didn't have to pay for college. #10 in the class and full scholarships FTW! I am 100% grateful for their help and to this day, I do everything I can to help my parents with something if they need it. Some people are asshats about it some aren't.

I kinda still can't believe this thread is going

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you look at the cars listed in our class, V6 Mustang and Genesis, they have ~40 more HPs than we do as well, without the parasitic drivetrain loss of AWD. I'd say we fair pretty well.
    To be honest I was more referring to the STi, though I do agree with you in the WRXs case. I still stick to my opinion though :P And a V6 mustang is supposedly faster than an STi? No way..

And my main point was that this track clearly is highly aimed towards top end speed. Don't know why Brian seems so eager to just argue instead of reading what I'm saying... You don't need to have all slow tight twisties at all, not what I said. But, for example... Laguna Seca had a much better balance of all things: it has tight turns, large elevelation drops, medium speed corners and high speed straight where the cars are reaching upwards of 130mph. How can you say that would not be a better overall test of a cars ability?

110+mph average over 3minutes tells me they are all high speed easy corners and a hell of a lot of straight running room.
    Last edited by J_Maher_WRX; 01-18-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm intrigued with attitudes about all of this...though I now make efforts not to judge. The truth is that most of us are "spoiled" in some way or another; all you have to do is look back a couple of generations at what the average person had at age 17.

I lucked into a 12-year-old boat of a car when I turned 16 (my grandfather couldn't get much tradein on it, and decided to give it to me) It was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me, and I couldn't believe my luck. Many of my friends had no car of their own at all, and I had expected that to be my situation. Did I "deserve" it? No. I was the lucky beneficiary of someone's generosity.

Years ago I went back and forth with another kid here, who had been given an STI by his parents. He maintained that he had earned it by making good grades in high school. OMGjustadmitthatyou'reluckyashellalready!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Oh I know I was lucky. My parents thought of it as doing something nice for their son that they were never able to get as kids. I got a 96 Acura Integra...it was an awesome little car that I put my heart and soul into taking care of Til it got stolen off my college campus

I Support ClubWRX
    My oldest is nearly a teenager, and I'm beginning to see another side to it. It's damned handy having a kid that can drive. It gets them "off your plate", so you're not constantly carting them from one place to another, and they can pick up the younger kid when needed.

Once she's shown me that she's a decent driver, I'll probably get something for her to drive..it won't be new, or high-powered, though. I'll let her enjoy the thrill of buying her first new car on her own dime, as I did.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon