WRX vs RX8 - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs RX8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Trainrex Tough to admit when your ****** is sandy? Cmon, admit it. You posted it on your ...

Likes Cars With Orbicular Windmill Engines
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Tough to admit when your ****** is sandy? Cmon, admit it. You posted it on your Wankel forum.

I have never once failed to get a Wankel fan upset. It always brightens my day.
    Is it a rotary?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    How about the Norton Commander w/ the Wankel?
    Motorcycle. There was also a DKW (Hercules) Wankel motorcycle, and the Suzuki and so on.

It was not for lack of trying. On paper it's an appealing concept. In reality it seems to address numerous questions that nobody happens to be asking. What astonishes me about Mazda is that they're still at it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    And I quote from the Wikipedia Article Titled "Rotary Engine"

"This article is about a type of piston engine with a rotating cylinder block. For the pistonless Wankel engine, see Wankel engine."
    OK... That means that the article is about the radial piston engine. What's your point?

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess zax your question was whether I'd own a Norton with a Wankel? I suppose if they are valuable I could always sell it and buy a Norton with pistons. In and of itself it isn't as attractive to me as, say, an NSU Ro 80 car or a Citroen GS (but I'd own any GS with any engine so maybe that's not fair).
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by me73 View Post
    OK... That means that the article is about the radial piston engine. What's your point?
    Incorrect. Here's the link to the radial engine. Radial engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rotary, Radial, and Wankel are all 3 completely different engine designs.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Incorrect. Here's the link to the radial engine. Radial engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rotary, Radial, and Wankel are all 3 completely different engine designs.
    I can't imagine why you think that, but you're wrong. Two are a style of the third.

I Support ClubWRX
    Radial engines are much easier to find these days than rotaries. I think the first radials were converted formerly rotary designs, but in radials the cylinders don't move whereas in rotaries the cylinders themselves spin round.

They are both neat engines. In my view the radials are a huge step forward from the rotaries, even for details such as the oiling system. I could spend all day looking at those motors, they're very pretty to see.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by me73 View Post
    I can't imagine why you think that, but you're wrong. Two are a style of the third.
    Now there is a die hard Wanker! (Wankel fan) Still in denial when faced with facts. Keep up the fight man, you're almost winning!
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Radial engines are much easier to find these days than rotaries. I think the first radials were converted formerly rotary designs, but in radials the cylinders don't move whereas in rotaries the cylinders themselves spin round.

They are both neat engines. In my view the radials are a huge step forward from the rotaries, even for details such as the oiling system. I could spend all day looking at those motors, they're very pretty to see.
    They are a work of art. I myself have always been fascinated with the radial. If you get a chance, run a quick search on a radial motorcycle. Somebody built a beautiful example. Granted it's a deathtrap, but when the bike is that pretty, and that different, who cares!

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Trainrex; 02-01-2012 at 10:01 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    They are a work of art. I myself have always been fascinated with the radial. If you get a chance, run a quick search on a radial motorcycle. Somebody built a beautiful example. Granted it's a deathtrap, but when the bike is that pretty, and that different, who cares!
    There are at least two recent ones out there. One radial motorcycle has the cylinders longitudinally and the other has the cylinders transversely. They both look "Mad Max" post-apocalyptic. Both are choppers, and I think that'd be a necessity even if it wasn't a style choice since the engines are basically large circles with a bunch of cylinders facing every direction along the perimeter.

Multi-row radials impress me a lot too. I can't picture all the motions that go on with each rev.

EDIT: Your pic isn't showing? I've seen radial engines on bikes though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Radial engine, transverse:

I Support ClubWRX
    Radial engine, longitudinal, and in front of a radial engined aircraft:

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup. That's the one. Boy what a beautiful deathtrap. When those those things let loose, they do it in a big way. You wouldnt want your legs wrapped around that thing when it fails.

Edit: For some reason I prefer the transverse bike.

I Support ClubWRX
    I just noticed this but the radials are using a twin spark arrangement for each cylinder.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Radial engine, transverse:
    A friend of mine is an aircraft and motorcycle hobbyist. He has this as his background on his computer. It's pretty damned sweet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.