Sweet race vid... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sweet race vid... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M If he'd recorded a clean run, what would have become of the footage? Where would ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    If he'd recorded a clean run, what would have become of the footage? Where would all the righteous speechmaking be then? They could have pulled away from the light normally and been plowed into by a runaway garbage truck. Would we then call for the removal of garbage trucks from public roadways?

They took a risk, lost, and will face the consequences for it. The biggest use of the video is for countless people in forums everywhere to post how they're too good to have done such a thing. The secondary responses inevitably include the "Well of course they wrecked, they drive Corvettes and we drive (insert forum name here)" and the more generic "Well duh, domestic cars suck at turning!"

I'm just avoiding the bandwagon. I don't consider myself any better or worse than the people in the video and it serves no purpose for me to point at them and say "Hah ha!"
    Okay so

1: Before this post I'd love for you to point out the "righteous speech making" in this thread because, I don't see any. All I see is a group of people laughing at a funny video.

2. How does someone saying "I'm just avoiding the bandwagon" prove the statement that "Street racing is a bad idea" wrong? There is never an instance when street racing is the correct thing to do.

Relax and just laugh at the video like the rest of us. It's pretty funny!
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 11-28-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: quoted wrong person :)
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Okay so

1: Before his post I'd love for you to point out the "righteous speech making" in this thread because, I don't see any. All I see is a group of people laughing at a funny video.

2. How does someone saying "I'm just avoiding the bandwagon" prove the statement that "Street racing is a bad idea" wrong? There is never an instance when street racing is the correct thing to do.

Relax and just laugh at the video like the rest of us. It's pretty funny!
    Was that aimed at me? I wasn't responding to you. I thought the video was hilarious.

That just made my day. Maybe a little AWD woulda helped since the driver mod is apparently nowhere to be found

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Was that aimed at me? I wasn't responding to you. I thought the video was hilarious.
    No, sorry I clicked quote on the wrong thing
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

If he'd recorded a clean run, what would have become of the footage? Where would all the righteous speechmaking be then? They could have pulled away from the light normally and been plowed into by a runaway garbage truck. Would we then call for the removal of garbage trucks from public roadways?

They took a risk, lost, and will face the consequences for it. The biggest use of the video is for countless people in forums everywhere to post how they're too good to have done such a thing. The secondary responses inevitably include the "Well of course they wrecked, they drive Corvettes and we drive (insert forum name here)" and the more generic "Well duh, domestic cars suck at turning!"

I'm just avoiding the bandwagon. I don't consider myself any better or worse than the people in the video and it serves no purpose for me to point at them and say "Hah ha!"
    I read through all the posts here and no one is jumping on any "bandwagon" that you are trying to avoid. Usless post if you ask me.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    This whole thread is meh.

I Support ClubWRX
    John:
    Did I prompt the "righteous speech making" thing? Hard to be sure. Sorry if I hurt feelings; honestly I was just making a light-hearted attempt at a joke.

If you're seriously defending these guys' right to race and crash on public roads...well, I dunno. I suppose we see the world through different prisms.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Not really; I guess it's just the smugness of some replies -- moreso on the actual YouTube video than here. There's still plenty of people here cackling about how funny it is to watch two cars being destroyed because of one of them couldn't drive.

I don't think anyone will say it's fine to go out and race on the streets. Damp weather in an urban setting makes it even worse. I also know that people have been racing each other like that since cars were invented. It doesn't make it any more "right" and the video is a good example for what happens when someone does screw up. To me, a quick straight line contest is safer than the groups who go run Tail of the Dragon and push the limits of their handling risking a 100+ foot fall if they find those limits. Don't even get me started about idiots who think drifting is a sport.

I'm just saying that I know I'm guilty of having done it in the past, as are many people making fun of these drivers now. The only difference is I've never wrecked while doing so and have never killed anyone doing it. Others have, and it puts the public at risk, and that's why it's illegal. I've "taken that backseat ride" before, which was a major factor in selling my Stealth. The Legacy didn't attract any idiots so I didn't have to worry about resisting a challenge. Now I drive a car that's too slow to compete so I'm safe from having that problem.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Wow that's terrible driving to have lost control that badly so easily!

That's what you get for street racing. Suckers!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Not really; I guess it's just the smugness of some replies -- moreso on the actual YouTube video than here. There's still plenty of people here cackling about how funny it is to watch two cars being destroyed because of one of them couldn't drive.
    You'll notice that videos of cars crashing like that on a legitimate track don't invoke the same response. There is a really good reason for it. These tools decided they were going to put everyone in danger so they could have fun. Before you can even think of defending them and saying they didn't put anyone in danger, look at the pedestrians, the bicyclists, and the nature of their settings. Aside from drag racing through a convent or a nursery school parking lot during recess, it was one of the most dangerous settings to perform the asshatery.

We laugh because they got exactly what they deserved.

I Support ClubWRX
    I also know that people have been racing each other like that since cars were invented. It doesn't make it any more "right" and the video is a good example for what happens when someone does screw up. To me, a quick straight line contest is safer than the groups who go run Tail of the Dragon and push the limits of their handling risking a 100+ foot fall if they find those limits.
    Some interesting logic to your comments.
    That people have been doing it for a long time is, with apologies, irrelevant. As long as there have been people, people have been doing stupid things.

That one of them "screwed up" also strikes me as irrelevant. It's why there are laws against streetracing; any mistake made is now amplified wildly by their speed and proximity...note the "2" in 1/2mv2.

I did laugh at the video. Life is too short to sit around being upset about everything. I'll save my seriousness for when one of these kooks does this and spins into one of my family members in traffic. I will be quite stoic. They will be quite sorry.

edit: I did all sorts of dumber things than this when I was a kid. Impromptu streetracing, triple digit speeds on 45mph roads, etc. I had some close calls. I would expect someone viewing a video of me doing those things to call me an idiot.

Still an idiot now...I just hide it better on good days.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 11-29-2011 at 07:10 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I haven't defended it or said it was right. There's plenty of verbiage in my last post to that end. I just find it interesting that a large percentage of their critics have done the exact same thing and now feel obligated to post righteous opposition when anyone else does it. Most people just have the luck that their biggest screwup isn't on YouTube for the world to laugh at.

If it had been a lone Corvette that went WOT when the light turned green, and then wrecked, would it still be street racing? Or just "exhibition of speed"? Or just "an accident"?
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't defended it or said it was right. There's plenty of verbiage in my last post to that end. I just find it interesting that a large percentage of their critics have done the exact same thing and now feel obligated to post righteous opposition when anyone else does it. Most people just have the luck that their biggest screwup isn't on YouTube for the world to laugh at.

If it had been a lone Corvette that went WOT when the light turned green, and then wrecked, would it still be street racing? Or just "exhibition of speed"? Or just "an accident"?
    1: Those who have done it and learned it was wrong absolutely have the right to criticize and try to steer others in the right direction.

2: Yup, it would still be funny for the same reasons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd have laughed at them just the same.

As TR mentioned, this isn't your typical street race post, as it clearly wasn't an empty highway, like how most of the other stories "occur"

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I just think those clowns should just be thankful that they didn't hit & kill a pedestrian.

Thankfully they just took each other out & provided us with a good laugh.I would have laughed just as hard if it had been an import or even a Subaru.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.