Extra S gear oil questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Extra S gear oil questions within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I wanted to post here to make sure this question gets viewed alot..... (sorry if its in wrong ...

Extra S gear oil questions

Hey all, I wanted to post here to make sure this question gets viewed alot..... (sorry if its in wrong place).

2011 wrx - want to get the subaru extra -s 75-90 gear oil in my trans/front diff and rear diff. ( for better shift feel and added protection)

1.) what the heck is in there (diffs/trans) from factory?? I suppose a non synthetic 75-90 valvoline...... (someone told me that my car ALREADY comes with extra s from factory.... I doubt that.) Although Sti's have it, I think...

2.) front diff and trans SHARE their respective gear oil?

3.) the diffs and trans for WRX all use the same extra-s ?? (unlike Sti which uses a different oil for rear diff)

4.) has anyone with 11 wrx done this upgrade? is it worth it?

5.) I notice a spinning noise prior to gear engagement (while driving, not standstill)... could this be the normal sound of synchros spinning? I have KB bushings and S/S btw. Many have told me this is normal, especially with KB S/S and bushings..

thank you for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1) Yes, a non-synthetic comes from the factory

2) Yes, front diff and trans share fluid

3) Yes, same fluid for both

4) I have changed to extra-s, is it worth it? It was due to be changed and the synthetic is a better product for not much more money, so for me it was worth it. Do I notice a difference? Not really so I wouldn't bother changing it until it's due, although other people say they feel a difference

5) Probably normal, I notice all sorts of new noises with upgraded bushings. The more poly bushings you get, the louder everything seems

Hope this helps.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Banned
    front and rear should be different or at least people make different oils.

Red Line Synthetic Oil

According to the manual, as long as its API Classification GL-5 you can use the same fluid for both. Not sure why there is different fluid offered from redline
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Banned
    do it soon, 3500 miles, metal shavings all over the magnetic plug.

its normal but why let this crap stay in there for 30k??!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.