Wrx or ss? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wrx or ss? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Kadir07 I accually take my car to the auto cross i have recieved the best time out ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kadir07 View Post
    I accually take my car to the auto cross i have recieved the best time out of all of the stock cars i even beat a 430 ferrari by 1 sec around track haha. But what can i doo to get my wrx up too 400hp+?
    My Subaru can beat my 911 Turbo around an autocross track. On a racetrack the Subaru will get slaughtered.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have driven my cazens 2011 and 2003 wrx last winter on 24+ inches on snow unplowed with easy! I dont know why there is so many ppl on here doubting the wrx i personay think that subaru has best awd from any car.

Nd i accuallly race a 911 on a race track, i slithly lost Not by much. If wrx had that many hp as 911 then it murk it

Come on people, driving in 20 and 24 inches of snow. I love my car and know it's one of if not the best handling cars in the winter but lets be realistic here on quit bs'ing yourself.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Come on people, driving in 20 and 24 inches of snow. I love my car and know it's one of if not the best handling cars in the winter but lets be realistic here on quit bs'ing yourself.
    you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe in PA you have really wet snow all the time but 20 inches of powder doesn't mean that much on the roads. And Kadir07....Grammar and spelling, Im begging you. Those two posts were painful to read
    Last edited by GarrettKoonsman; 10-29-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe in PA you have really wet snow all the time but 20 inches of powder doesn't mean that much on the roads. And Kadir07....Grammar and spelling, Im begging you. Those two posts were painful to read
    Much as I'd like to say that these car's cannot make it through 20 inches of snow, this video demonstrates otherwise (albeit its only about 16 inches)

[HD] Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2005 Snow Plow Drifting ICE FUNNY - YouTube

Nevertheless you'd be doing some pretty good damage to your car if you drove regularly in snow that deep.

Also, don't underestimate a FWD car with an LSD. It has nearly the same traction capabilities in inclement weather as AWD with open diffs. Most people don't believe that, but then again, most people haven't driven a FWD with an LSD in inclement weather.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

edit: misread the previous post

I am by no means suggesting trying to drive through a large distance of dense snow 20 inches deep. But I am saying that its possible in some situations and I have done it before. Only for about 20 yards to get out of my street and onto the main plowed street but the car was fine. Your not going to high center on powder so clearance isn't an issue in the same way it would be with dirt.
    Last edited by GarrettKoonsman; 10-29-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I have accually drive an wrx threw 20" of snow. No fwd can make it threw the snow like subaru wrx nd sti can, my friends mazda speed 6 gets stuck all of the time and its awd. I am pretty sure ss cobalts engine would break down in 10 inch snow. Lol

And Kadir07....Grammar and spelling, Im begging you
    Seriously....please
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I would stay away from a $60 tune
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

I live in Tahoe, where we got over 70ft of snow last year, including multiple 6+ ft storms and never had any trouble with my 03 WRX. This includes pulling out of unplowed dorm parking lots with snow up to and past my bumpers. I had to shovel out around the sides of the car because I couldn't close the door when I got in because of all the snow, but never had to bother with the back or front. There was easily 30+ inches out there quite a few times.

AWD + snow tires... only time you'll get stuck is if you drive into unplowed snow deep enough that your tires can't sink down to solid ground AND you stop moving and try to start again.

Yep, I have no idea.

Plenty of grey areas about how much snow you can drive through but it really don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I live in Tahoe, where we got over 70ft of snow last year, including multiple 6+ ft storms and never had any trouble with my 03 WRX. This includes pulling out of unplowed dorm parking lots with snow up to and past my bumpers. I had to shovel out around the sides of the car because I couldn't close the door when I got in because of all the snow, but never had to bother with the back or front. There was easily 30+ inches out there quite a few times.

AWD + snow tires... only time you'll get stuck is if you drive into unplowed snow deep enough that your tires can't sink down to solid ground AND you stop moving and try to start again.
    I would love to see you drive ANY car in 30+ inches of snow. And no, I'm not talking about getting a run for it and going down hill in very light powder. I'm talking a legit 30 inches.

Yep, I have no idea.

Plenty of grey areas about how much snow you can drive through but it really don't matter.
    The bottom line is yes, you can drive though that much snow. And "legit" snow in Colorado is usually very dry powder not wet dense. I don't know why you insist on arguing with people who have done it while your speaking from a theoretical mindset.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I would love to see you drive ANY car in 30+ inches of snow. And no, I'm not talking about getting a run for it and going down hill in very light powder. I'm talking a legit 30 inches.
    I did it once in a 1989 Suburban that weighed 7000lbs and had a 130 inch wheelbase, and siped 34x9.5 Narrow SS Swampers. And that was not easy. There really aren't too many places in the world that get the light, fluffy, snow that has the consistency of talcum power, like Utah gets from its lake effect storms. So anyone referencing that area does not understand what driving in a heavy 20 or 30 inches is like in the rest of the world.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.