looking at buying an older 2000-2005 subaru impreza but need some advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on looking at buying an older 2000-2005 subaru impreza but need some advice within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking into either a honda civic or a subaru impreza. Heard they're both reliable cars, run forever, and that ...

looking at buying an older 2000-2005 subaru impreza but need some advice

I'm looking into either a honda civic or a subaru impreza. Heard they're both reliable cars, run forever, and that they hold their value.
    I'm leaning towards subaru but....

I just want to make sure I'm not getting into a money trap as far as repairs with a subaru. What's been your experience with repairs when they've come up with a Subaru? Even for just regular maintenance? (I'm planning on buying an older model so some maintenance is inevitable). I hear hondas run forever and are cheap to fix if needed. Same hold true for subarus? thoughts?

let's be honest, subarus are tighter cars than hondas but i'm looking for longevity, reliability, and least cost in repairs. (I'm leaving a bmw behind to go this route and so i've had a horrible experience in the money trap of repairs.)

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Buy an unmodified Honda with a complete service history, ideally from a single owner.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    2000-2004 honda depending on model is going to be just as reliable as a subaru. If you can find an unaltered impreza with maintenance records/ honda civic with maintenance records I wouldnt worry all that much about either. The Honda Civics of those years are still timing belt driven, still valve adjust motors.. The difference between 00-01 is huge, 01 is distributorless vs distributor..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Subarus, when taken care of, will be very reliable, but it sounds like you are looking for maximum affordability, in which case, you won't beat a Civic. It will be quite a step down from the BMWs you may be used to, but Honda parts are cheaper, Civic mechanical components are less complicated, and they only require regular gasoline. All WRXs and STIs require Premium fuel, no exceptions.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

thanks

thanks for the tips.

I'm just looking to get an older impreza i think, no sti or WRX because i heard they require premium fuel. Although they seem like sick cars. maybe someday...

but it sounds like honda might be my best bet, but do any of you know the specs on the 2000-2005 imprezas? Like which year model is the best as far as least mechanical failures? Are all those models also timing belt driven? Are there any major modifications in the models during those years that would be good to know as i'm searching?

I Support ClubWRX
    You do realize that most Japanese vehicles require premium fuel? Including civics and standard imprezas

You do also realize that a tank of premium fuel on average (10gal tank) is only an extra $2.40..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Yeah, i've been putting premium fuel in my bmw for 4 years and one time when i actually calculated it out it wasn't too much of a difference.

I've never heard of anyone putting premium fuel in a civic though...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    most Japanese vehicles require premium fuel? .....standard imprezas
    You sure about that, Bo? I had the impression that 2.5i's only need 87.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

When people look at your car and say, "Why did you buy a Honda instead of a Subaru?"

Is your answer,
    1.) I didn't want it because it's toooo fast. I wanted something slow that last forever.(rust/abuse kills all cars no matter Honda or Subaru)
    2.) I'm afraid of awd. (I didn't know what awd was until now. I live in MI and would never buy any 2wd car again if it was up to me)
    3.) I don't want a car that looks fast. I like to blend with the crowd. I wanted a new car but don't want people to know I have a new car.
    4.) I didn't know how the car was until it was too late.
    5.) I regret it now.
    6.) Vtec my man!
    7.) I want people to say "Honda.. ok"(overrated). I don't want people to say "Subaru! NNNNiceeee. Can I look inside bro"(the underdog)

Just Joking... I bet people on this form could make a larger list then me.

But seriously, good luck on your quest. Don't regret it....
    Meng Hang

Ogura Corporation (US Headquarters) Chesterfield Township, MI
    Network System Administrator, IT Supervisor
    Black WRX 2002, ...with 18G with Stock IC.

Do you live anywhere where you would benefit from AWD? Your MPGs won't be as good with an Impreza as they will with a Civic. But if you live anywhere where bad weather is eminent, then the AWD of a Subaru is a bonus that I would go for in a heart beat.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Honda civic lol...? Impreza duh thats like saying cheese burger to a big mac

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005imprezaSTI View Post
    Honda civic lol...? Impreza duh thats like saying cheese burger to a big mac
    How eloquent. I sure hope the OP managed to find a car in the last two years...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    How eloquent. I sure hope the OP managed to find a car in the last two years...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.